2013~2016 My Fog lights - just died

Kaps

Contributor
:
CX-5 Touring 2016.5
16.5 CX-5, This morning, It was very foggy here in DFW, My 30 minute drive the passenger side mirror was still wet. But what puzzled me was -
My Fog lights died, when I rotate the stock I see no lights on the Dash and I don't see the fogs lighting up. 3 years is really a small time frame for Fogs - but where should I start investigating? Fuses?

16.5 CX-5, This morning, It was very foggy here in DFW, My 30 minute drive the passenger side mirror was still wet. But what puzzled me was -
My Fog lights died, when I rotate the stock I see no lights on the Dash and I don't see the fogs lighting up. 3 years is really a small time frame for Fogs - but where should I start investigating? Fuses?
There’s no “fog-lights on” icon on the dash like most other vehicles for CX-5, only the standard “lights on” green icon on the dash. Are you sure the fog lights aren’t working since they’re pretty weak (I believe yours are halogen, not LED)? Have you actually checked the fog lights in front of vehicle? Are both of them gone, or just one of them?

Last edited:
I do not have any FOG LIGHT ICON on my 2016.5.
Fog lights only work on LOW BEAM with headlights.
Selecting HIGH BEAM turns off FOG LIGHTS.

Thanks yrwei52 and mazdadude. I will check this out at my lunch time stroll here in a while.

I guess they work - "Fog lights only work on LOW BEAM with headlights. " I wasn't aware of this bit.
So it works. Now only if I could get heated side mirrors

Idiots in my town drive with fog lights on 100% of the time. This just caused more light polution when driving on a clear night. Ed

I guess they work - "Fog lights only work on LOW BEAM with headlights. " I wasn't aware of this bit.
To me it's a weird backwards design.

If you have a need for the fog lights, you should not be using high beams. That's the unsafe mistake so many people make. Maybe they try to force us to turn off the high beams if we have a need for the fog lights.

That being said, my 2005 Canyon works the same way as my CX-5...fog lights only work when the parking lights or the low beams are on.

Last edited:

What method did you use to turn on the heated side mirrors? In order to power the mirrors you have to turn on the rear defroster. That info is in your owner's manual along with the info about your fog lights not working with the high beams...

You've been around this forum for a while I'm surprised that you don't know this stuff.

There’s no “fog-lights on” icon on the dash like most other vehicles for CX-5, only the standard “lights on” green icon on the dash.
One of my pet peeves. I'm used to my wife's Outback fog-lights on icon although I really miss my heads-up display when I drive her car.

What method did you use to turn on the heated side mirrors? In order to power the mirrors you have to turn on the rear defroster. That info is in your owner's manual along with the info about your fog lights not working with the high beams...

You've been around this forum for a while I'm surprised that you don't know this stuff.
Touring has no heated mirrors. So option is to Clean and apply Rainx / Wax.
CX5 is not the best when apocalyptic weather strikes. 2.5 is very rough till it warms up, I can totally believe motor mount issues in sub 0 temperatures. HVAC could have been stronger. Comparing to the 2.5 Camry - both the engine and HVAC with heated mirrors on base model are a welcome feature.

Still over to course of 3 odd years the Camry has lost on repairs:
Exhaust heat shield metal on metal corrosions - $150
Center touch screen bad - goodwill from Toyota still had to pay $200 out of total bill.
Now blower motor is humming, the fan has no dirt but it seems the motor is bad - $?? Need to evaluate what this is going to cost DIY.

CX5: TSB took care of rear brakes other than that $0. Keeping fingers crossed CX5 would hit 100K atleast with 0 repairs.

Last edited:
Back