2017~2024 Hood Lift Struts Installed

these say they fit 16,17,18 for only $21

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Since virtually all of the hood struts are made in China, they are probably okay. If I didn't already have mine, I would most likely go for this deal.

Offer him $19. He will probably counter offer with $20. It's a game.

You are probably looking at about 2 to 3 weeks for delivery. No big deal.

The great thing about ebay is that if you don't receive your product, they reimburse you directly. If you get a faulty product and have to pay to send it back, ebay will reimburse you for the return freight.

I'm even "gladder" because I have both. :)

David, Struts look good.

Never had struts on car go out on me too. That said the struts on my tool cart went out. Both leaked. Considering how heavy the hood is it's good insurance to use the rod. Having the strut do the heavy lifting (LOL) is worth the investment :) Plus it looks great.

I did mine today

x6ZUjXS.jpg

nice! where did you get them?

I bought them on amazon, around 20 bucks, just make sure you test fit the nut onto the bolt before you get started, the nut goes into a sealed metal box, i bent the s*** out of the next closest hole on one side to get the nut tight after the tool broke off.

Thanks for this excellent idea thread, @David Paul. I picked up a set from eBay for $21 and installed yesterday. What a great cheap and easy mod!

Only issue was that there were no instructions with the kit I got so I had to search google where there are a couple of videos for installing similar sets. Plus the pistons were locked solid and when I got them on the hood, it wouldn't close! So I had to unclip them again (have to lever out the spring clips on the ends to release from the ball joints), then I unscrewed the plastic ends and whacked each of the struts, to compress them, with a mallet against a block of wood. Once I did that they unfroze and I reattached and now they are working fine.

Thanks again!

I installed the ones from Amazon a couple of months ago.

It's a great option, and surprisingly cheap.

The only tip I have (discussed on another thread on this topic) is to use LocTite Blue as insurance on the mounts that attach inside the fender wells. This way the nut will not back off from road vibration (not that anyone has reported such a problem).

I really love mine. I smile every time I check the oil and the hood lifts itself.

Thanks for this excellent idea thread, @David Paul. I picked up a set from eBay for $21 and installed yesterday. What a great cheap and easy mod!

Only issue was that there were no instructions with the kit I got so I had to search google where there are a couple of videos for installing similar sets. Plus the pistons were locked solid and when I got them on the hood, it wouldn't close! So I had to unclip them again (have to lever out the spring clips on the ends to release from the ball joints), then I unscrewed the plastic ends and whacked each of the struts, to compress them, with a mallet against a block of wood. Once I did that they unfroze and I reattached and now they are working fine.

Thanks again!

Somewhere I read of other folks having issues with unusually stiff struts, and they found that disconnecting one of them was sufficient to have closing the hood compress the remaining one. Then they reconnected the second strut and were able to compress it with both installed. YMMV ;)

The only tip I have (discussed on another thread on this topic) is to use LocTite Blue as insurance on the mounts that attach inside the fender wells. This way the nut will not back off from road vibration (not that anyone has reported such a problem).

I actually mixed a little JBWeld epoxy and dabbed some on the faces of the nuts before inserting them. The idea was to let me unscrew the posts if I needed without losing the nuts, but basically the same effect as yours.

Somewhere I read of other folks having issues with unusually stiff struts, and they found that disconnecting one of them was sufficient to have closing the hood compress the remaining one. Then they reconnected the second strut and were able to compress it with both installed. YMMV ;)

Mine were so locked it seemed the hood metal would bend before they freed (I did try one side at a time). Still, no biggie.

Mine were so locked it seemed the hood metal would bend before they freed (I did try one side at a time). Still, no biggie.

I guess for less than $30 we can't expect perfection, can we?

And that's a good idea on the JB Weld. That stuff's been around forever. I can't tell you how much I've patched up with it over the years...it's Scotch Tape for guys ;)

Question, are there any CX5's that use hood struts from factory perhaps in other countries? These pictures posted literally look like a factory install.

Question, are there any CX5's that use hood struts from factory perhaps in other countries? These pictures posted literally look like a factory install.
I don't know.

None of the ones I've seen advertised claim to be OEM, and you can tell by the ads that these are sourced from overseas.

They look "factory" because one side fits in existing holes stamped into the front fenders, and the other side attaches to one of the hood's hinge bolts. There is zero modification involved.

I put them in my CX-5. I really like them. It's a slick design. It is as though the car were designed to accept them as an option...but I think that's just good design by the aftermarket strut manufacturer.

I installed the ones from Amazon a couple of months ago.

It's a great option, and surprisingly cheap.

I really love mine. I smile every time I check the oil and the hood lifts itself.
cool what is the amazon link or the products description - it should fit my 2019 hopefully

big thnks
fairly easy install?
Oh, yeah.

You take one bolt off of the top hinge to mount the hood bracket (they are on tight), and the bottom bracket is mounted using a nut that's been crimped on the end of a thin band of metal you fish through existing body holes.

There have been comments on using Loctite Blue to prevent the nut from backing off due to vibration, but it you leave a tiny part of that band of metal sticking out of the hole you fished it through, the nut cannot possibly back off. This will be obvious when you do the install. Doing both can't hurt.

Mine are working great still on a 2019 CX-5 ~10months later (despite having to 'un-freeze' the pistons - see post #27).

This is SUCH a good mod and I thank myself for doing it every time I open the hood :)

Mine are working great still on a 2019 CX-5 ~10months later (despite having to 'un-freeze' the pistons - see post #27).

This is SUCH a good mod and I thank myself for doing it every time I open the hood :)
yikes...freeze/frozen.....how did you un-freeze it??

yikes...freeze/frozen.....how did you un-freeze it??
Sometimes these things arrive "stuck." Install them and use the leverage of the hood to GENTLY compress/extend them. They may be so tight you will need to disconnect one (it's easy to do...one end clips on & off to its mount) and work them individually. I think Red Baron detailed his ordeal in a prior post.

Back