Diesel CX5 has landed in the USA

I am betting that the non-diesel, non-turbo 2.5L is faster AND gets better fuel economy in daily driving.

Ive driven both and you couldnt be wider from the mark. I havent driven a turbo which should be good but you should stop knocking the diesel. It isnt as bad as you want it to be.

Man thats' not too shabby. Perhaps Mazda should've developed a 2.0 diesel let alone turbo. Chevy uses a 1.6 vs Mazda's 2.5. Big difference on paper in terms of MPGs already.
Mazda SkyActiv-D diesel is 2.2L.

Remember CX-5 SA-D 2.2L does have pretty good fuel economy ratings in other regions. For some reason the MPG drops so much for US CX-5 diesel!

I*ve driven both and you couldn*t be wider from the mark. I haven*t driven a turbo which should be good but you should stop knocking the diesel. It isn*t as bad as you want it to be.

Unless you vacationed in my country recently and test drove one, then your experience is irrelevant.

I*ve driven both and you couldn*t be wider from the mark. I haven*t driven a turbo which should be good but you should stop knocking the diesel. It isn*t as bad as you want it to be.

To be fair, the American diesel is probably different than yours.

To be fair, the American diesel is probably different than yours.

I don't think it's much different at all. However, the driving environment in UK is a lot different than here in Texas. Traffic flow on main highways are like 75-85 even if posted limit is like 70mph. Some are 85 posted. I feel like perceptions of performance for everyday driving would be different due to the abundance of "large" displacement engines in the us. I mean, most basic newer pickup trucks can out accelerate all non turbo (gas) cx-5 lol

Last edited:
I don't think it's much different at all. However, the driving environment in UK is a lot different than here in Texas. Traffic flow on main highways are like 75-85 even if posted limit is like 70mph. Some are 85 posted. I feel like perceptions of performance for everyday driving would be different due to the abundance of "large" displacement engines in the us. I mean, most basic newer pickup trucks can out accelerate all non turbo (gas) cx-5 lol

Interesting. I figured they had to change a lot to get it compliant with CA. But I'll admit, I don't really know.

Why the hell would you want the diesel? So you can get to 60mph 0.2 seconds faster?

-Adds DEF
-Adds 2 turbos
-Adds mandatory price-tag of $10K more than a well-equipped NA version
-Gets worse fuel economy

Total. Absolute. Failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj-GZv-1jyM

0-100km/h is 9.08

vs.

9.31 for the NA version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjZ7siDQopk

Whaa two turbos are sweet. OEM tune and scrubber equipment = suck. I'd want it after it was used and cheap.. they are very tunable. member mazstyle from australia had 6 second 0-60, with stock engine and ecu tune (and larger than OEM wheels). Here in Texas, diesel passenger vehicles are not emission tested.. remove the def and turn it off in the ECU. I'm curious to see what happens as these enter the used market. People get the Mercedes E320 diesels, 3.2L 6cyl with *OEM* 7 sec 0-60., and tuning is cheap (2007 or older right before they added def fluid) TBH I was looking at some on craigs list myself.

Whaa two turbos are sweet. OEM tune and scrubber equipment = suck. I'd want it after it was used and cheap.. they are very tunable. member mazstyle from australia had 6 second 0-60, with stock engine and ecu tune (and larger than OEM wheels). Here in Texas, diesel passenger vehicles are not emission tested.. remove the def and turn it off in the ECU. I'm curious to see what happens as these enter the used market. People get the Mercedes E320 diesels, 3.2L 6cyl with *OEM* 7 sec 0-60., and tuning is cheap (2007 or older right before they added def fluid) TBH I was looking at some on craigs list myself.

What would those mods raise the $42k price tag to? Why not buy a 2 year old AMG 43 GLC instead? It's not like Mazdas diesel is reliable. Might as well have some real fun.

Unless you vacationed in my country recently and test drove one, then your experience is irrelevant.

June this year. 2.5 none turbo.

0-AC1332-E-2-BC5-4013-BC1-E-785-C5123-DF1-F.jpg

What would those mods raise the $42k price tag to? Why not buy a 2 year old AMG 43 GLC instead? It's not like Mazdas diesel is reliable. Might as well have some real fun.
No diesel fun though. Rolling coal on a Brodozer (lifted pavement queen truck) while doing a burnout.. but I'm into the car scene and non-truck diesels are pretty unique especially fast ones (drive)

Why the hell would you want the diesel? So you can get to 60mph 0.2 seconds faster?

-Adds DEF
-Adds 2 turbos
-Adds mandatory price-tag of $10K more than a well-equipped NA version
-Gets worse fuel economy

Total. Absolute. Failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj-GZv-1jyM

0-100km/h is 9.08

vs.

9.31 for the NA version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjZ7siDQopk

We get it, you don*t see the point but Mazda promised the option and now you*ve got it. Because it is configured differently, why does it have to be a *total absolute failure*? If it had a rotary engine with similar performance to a 2.5T, half of the male US population would jizz their pants but would that make it a *total absolute failure*? Mine has got the latest Adblue engine and it IS the same with the auto box and the AWD but if I could have had the 2.5T for the equivalent of $10k less I would have had it but I wasn*t given the option. If you put them side by side on a test track and floor them you won*t get much difference but if you cruise on a motorway at 70mph a fleet driver will probably get his money back and more. Furthermore, why is two turbos and Adblue some sort of impediment? It*s got two headlights and two wipers, does that make it inadequate? Are you expecting one turbo to fail? Does having a container full of screenwash under the engine bay trouble you as much as having a tank with inert water based Adblue? In a serious accident, I*d mush rather get showered in diesel than gasoline from a ruptured tank. The emissions are not far short of a Prius. You*ve not even waited for owner impressions but you*re happy to tell me my option doesn*t count when you haven*t driven a diesel. I HAVE driven your current 2.5 and unless your 2.5T is a lot more fuel efficient, I get considerably better fuel consumption. The only thing you*ve got to go off is a few initial reports which quote published figures, wait until someone reports proper and in any case, nobody is forcing you to have one.

What? Yours is blue? Total fail.

Ridiculous isn*t it.

Interesting. I figured they had to change a lot to get it compliant with CA. But I'll admit, I don't really know.

You might be right. Our diesel is 184PS with 445Nm of torque which unless I*ve converted it wrong is 181Hp and 328 ft/lbs torque where Mazda US is quoting 168Hp and 290 ft/lbs so maybe you get a derated version. Another 13% torque might even have some benefit over Unobs fabled Millennium Falcon that I*m becoming tired of hearing about.

We get it, you don*t see the point but Mazda promised the option and now you*ve got it. Because it is configured differently, why does it have to be a *total absolute failure*? If it had a rotary engine with similar performance to a 2.5T, half of the male US population would jizz their pants but would that make it a *total absolute failure*? Mine has got the latest Adblue engine and it IS the same with the auto box and the AWD but if I could have had the 2.5T for the equivalent of $10k less I would have had it but I wasn*t given the option. If you put them side by side on a test track and floor them you won*t get much difference but if you cruise on a motorway at 70mph a fleet driver will probably get his money back and more . Furthermore, why is two turbos and Adblue some sort of impediment? It*s got two headlights and two wipers, does that make it inadequate? Are you expecting one turbo to fail? Does having a container full of screenwash under the engine bay trouble you as much as having a tank with inert water based Adblue? In a serious accident, I*d mush rather get showered in diesel than gasoline from a ruptured tank. The emissions are not far short of a Prius. You*ve not even waited for owner impressions but you*re happy to tell me my option doesn*t count when you haven*t driven a diesel. I HAVE driven your current 2.5 and unless your 2.5T is a lot more fuel efficient, I get considerably better fuel consumption. The only thing you*ve got to go off is a few initial reports which quote published figures, wait until someone reports proper and in any case, nobody is forcing you to have one.

What? Yours is blue? Total fail.

Ridiculous isn*t it.

How is a fleet driver going to "get their money back" getting 34mpg compared to 28mpg, when their fuel that gets 34mpg costs $2.60 compared to 2.20 of the other fuel, and further, they have Adblue, a $4K+ initial price difference, and maintenance cost over the life of the vehicle to make up for it?

I get 28mpg on road trips in my turbo CX5...what do you get doing 75mph in your diesel turbo? Because A) If it's better than 34, then NO, you do NOT have the vehicle we do, but B) If it IS 34, then how do you figure that's massively better given the above?

Adblue is corrosive as hell, and does represent logistic issues for fleet owners that one needs to be aware of:
https://www.greenchem-adblue.com/informations/is-adblue-hazardous/
https://www.hytekgb.com/blog/post/adblue-spills-and-what-to-do/

Yes, an extra turbo is an extra part to fail.

I don't care if it's a ZEV. That doesn't matter to me as much as other things.

Prices are different in UK also. Higher prices for vehicles and higher fuel prices.

In the US market, where's the value at 42k? That is new Audi or Lexus money. Why choose that over the 2.5T at 35k or the 2.5 at 27k?

Last edited:
There is none.

Now if it were a Mazda "M" Version for $42k with 50hp/80tq more, then it would sell. Please, please. (naughty)

Lower it 3/4", slap 245's all around, and tune that turbo motor up, and it would get it done! Honestly, that's within aftermarket realm currently.

How is a fleet driver going to "get their money back" getting 34mpg compared to 28mpg, when their fuel that gets 34mpg costs $2.60 compared to 2.20 of the other fuel, and further, they have Adblue, a $4K+ initial price difference, and maintenance cost over the life of the vehicle to make up for it?

I get 28mpg on road trips in my turbo CX5...what do you get doing 75mph in your diesel turbo? Because A) If it's better than 34, then NO, you do NOT have the vehicle we do, but B) If it IS 34, then how do you figure that's massively better given the above?

Adblue is corrosive as hell, and does represent logistic issues for fleet owners that one needs to be aware of:
https://www.greenchem-adblue.com/informations/is-adblue-hazardous/
https://www.hytekgb.com/blog/post/adblue-spills-and-what-to-do/

Yes, an extra turbo is an extra part to fail.

I don't care if it's a ZEV. That doesn't matter to me as much as other things.

I get 50 at a steady 75. Corrected to US gallons that*s 42.

Back