Pirelli Scorpian all season tires

:
Mazda CX5 Touring with PEP
I bought them on a Labor Day sale this fall from Discount Tire Direct for about $160 ea with about $100 in rebates or so and today is the first day of driving them with appreciable snow and ice on the roads here in W PA.

It is cold, mid teens so that alone gives the tires more grip (melting ice cube vs fresh cube), the snow had been pushed off the ice that coated the roads and it seems to have been polished by the rubber tires. Snow was not deep except in my driveway (6" or so) and there was no slip or hesitation in backing out and driving in to the driveway. Not a slip or spin when on the roads, driving at 40mph. No sliding when approaching a ice covered road to a red light.

Bottom line AFAIC, these tires are good to go for a year round tire. My original plan was that try these tires first and if they were average for a winter tire, get a set of snows and mount them on my factory rims and run those for the winter. As it stands, I still have a 4WD as a winter beater, so the CX5 does not get driven as a winter vehicle. The X is down for a repair or 3 this week, so the CX5 is on duty until further notice.

I used Scorpion STR-A's on my 2 wheel drive pickup. They were the OEM all-season tires. They were fine in dry and wet but IMO they sucked in even minimal winter conditions. Got stuck once ON FLAT PAVEMENT, and the truck has a limited slip rear! Switched to Yoko Geolanders and felt much more secure in the winter. Just my opinion......

We added them on our old CR-V and they were great in all weather conditions. I can't wait until I can convince my wife her A36's need replacement.

I had Pirelli P4 All Seasons on my 2004 Camry and they didn't grip at all. My Camry is gutless and I could spin them on dry pavement. Hopefully you do better with the Scorpions.

I remember 3 years ago looking for a replacement for my crappy OEM Toyo's that wore out in 2 years and the Pirelli was an option that I considered at my local COSTCO, BUT, after studying the specs sticker on the tire it said that Pirelli would not warranty the tire I was looking at if it had a speed rating lower than that recommended for my vehicle(CX-5) by Mazda. Since the Pirelli was one speed rating lower I therefore opted for the new (at the time) Michelin Premier LTX (6 year/100,000 km warranty) which I had huge success with over 3 years.

I remember 3 years ago looking for a replacement for my crappy OEM Toyo's that wore out in 2 years and the Pirelli was an option that I considered at my local COSTCO, BUT, after studying the specs sticker on the tire it said that Pirelli would not warranty the tire I was looking at if it had a speed rating lower than that recommended for my vehicle(CX-5) by Mazda. Since the Pirelli was one speed rating lower I therefore opted for the new (at the time) Michelin Premier LTX (6 year/100,000 km warranty) which I had huge success with over 3 years.

Were you looking at the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus tire? The ones we previously purchased were H rated (130 MPH). Your old CX-5 was had OEM V rated tires?

Well, let's all make sure we are comparing apples to apples. For the record the tires I have are the All Terrain Plus, they have the mountain with the snowflake insignia, which is a big deal to obtain as a rating(just what i read a while ago, can't recall why) Tire Rack did some extensive type testing on these tires and there is a youtube production on the testing somewhere (that was perhaps in August when I saw this).

I finally got a loss of traction warning light on my dash today when pulling out of an intersection. Everything seems to have a layer of ice under the snow and it has slowly getting uncovered from the snow.

Once upon a time I bought a set of Pirellis for a Mazda Rx7 I owned. Just absolutely the worst set of tires I have ever owned and that experience was enough to really second guess if the Scorp ATPz were the correct tire for what I had in mind for the CX5. They absolutely are. I see they are now $171 at Discount tire Direct.

Well, let's all make sure we are comparing apples to apples. For the record the tires I have are the All Terrain Plus ...

Got ya. I would not need those in this area. All seasons are fine around here. How loud are they on the highway.

Got ya. I would not need those in this area. All seasons are fine around here. How loud are they on the highway.

Not any louder than the stock tires. The sidewall is stiffer than the stock Yoko, so handling seems a bit better. If you are in ILL, do you not get snow? They have the tread on the sidewalls, I think that is more for an off road and deeper snow application, wet grip is good, so far snow grip has been great. Only have about 4K on the tires.

Were you looking at the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus tire? The ones we previously purchased were H rated (130 MPH). Your old CX-5 was had OEM V rated tires?

Here's what I posted in 2016:

I was in to my local Costco who carry the Pirelli Cinturato P7+ in 225/55/19 but in H rating. Since my CX-5 GT requires a 19" V rated tire the Costco rep says that while he could sell me the P7+ he couldn't warranty it. The reason being was that the sticker on the P7+ tire says:
"REPLACEMENT TIRES MUST ALWAYS HAVE A LOAD INDEX AND SPEED RATING EQUAL TO OR GREATER THAN THOSE FITTED AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT. He suggested I stick with V rated tires.

Now, the guy at Costco went on to say that if I got the P7 tires installed elsewhere he could then warranty them. Go figure. I have read a lot of good reports about the P7's BUT I would never buy a tire that I couldn't get warrantied. Who is to say, in addition, that if I was in a major accident caused by a failing H rated tire the dealer might not be able to be sued, should they renege on the warranty since I ultimately had the wrong rated tire on my CX-5.

Even more confusing is that my Mazda dealer also said they would sell me and warranty the P7's, but, once again who would I sue should Pirelli not back the dealership in a warranty challenge?

There just seems to be too much risk for my liking, in using an H rated tire on my V rated CX-5. BUT, maybe Pirelli is the only manufacturer that has this concern in going down a speed rating from the oem's
Last edited by kdaug; 04-03-2016 at 07:41 PM.

That's why I ultimately went with the Michelin Premier LTX!!

Last edited:
Here's what I posted in 2016:

Wow! First, I had no idea the CX-5 had V rated tires. I just checked ours, and sure enough. Second, why do the have V rated tires? What is the speed limiter set to? Don't make me go find out. :)

Wow! First, I had no idea the CX-5 had V rated tires. I just checked ours, and sure enough. Second, why do the have V rated tires? What is the speed limiter set to? Don't make me go find out. :)

I believe that V rated tires are capable of doing a maximum speed of 149 mph, BUT, my CX-5(and yours), while it is quick, could never do that , downhill flat out, with a tailwind!! On the other hand, there will be many sports cars out there running 19" V rated tires that definitely could get to 149 mph and more. Now, the 17" Blizzak winters I run are T rated, capable of up to 118 mph, still a speed I don't think my CX-5 could do or I would want to do in the winter!! The Michelin Xice winters on my wife's car are also T rated. I'm guessing that nearly all winters might be T rated.

Last edited:
Well it is time to give an update on the Pirelli Scorpian All Terrain Plus tires. They have around 20k on them. I am actively contacting Discount Tire Direct to see if there is a warranty I could activate to have them replaced. The wear is great, the handling is great in snow dry or wet. The tires have become so loud it aggravates my mild tinnitus and additionally drowns out the stereo, turning up the volume does not really help. It is it's worst at 40-45mph, very discomforting to drive any length of time.

Considering that I bought the car based upon it's cabin quiet, decent stereo, and sporty handling for an CUV, I gotta do something. My ears are screaming, may have to begin driving with ear plugs, it's that bad.

Anyone deal with DTD on a warranty issue? I have bought multiple sets of tires from them, been happy with all. I am looking at the Toyo all terrains they offer. Similar tires, little cheaper in price.

You want to replace your All Terrain tires because they are noisy with more all terrain tires?

Well it is time to give an update on the Pirelli Scorpian All Terrain Plus tires. They have around 20k on them. I am actively contacting Discount Tire Direct to see if there is a warranty I could activate to have them replaced. The wear is great, the handling is great in snow dry or wet. The tires have become so loud it aggravates my mild tinnitus and additionally drowns out the stereo, turning up the volume does not really help. It is it's worst at 40-45mph, very discomforting to drive any length of time.

Considering that I bought the car based upon it's cabin quiet, decent stereo, and sporty handling for an CUV, I gotta do something. My ears are screaming, may have to begin driving with ear plugs, it's that bad.

Anyone deal with DTD on a warranty issue? I have bought multiple sets of tires from them, been happy with all. I am looking at the Toyo all terrains they offer. Similar tires, little cheaper in price.
Like Mazdiod2 said, all terrain tires will be noisy. If you want quieter tires, get Crossover / SUV Touring All-Season tires with better noise rating under Comfort Performance based on Tire Rack’s Tire Ratings Charts for 225/65R17:

Tire Rack’s 225/65R17 Tire Ratings Charts

The tires were fine for the first 20k miles, they are a 50k rated. As I mentioned in the opening post, I work up into snow country at all hours of the clock. quite often the roads will not be plowed when coming and going. Fortunately it is not hilly at all, relatively flat and interstate except for about 12 miles or so. So I need a tire that is good all around for ice, snow, wet, dry. That is the category I am shopping.

DTD has offered me a deal on a new set of tires. I am weighing the options.

The tires were fine for the first 20k miles, they are a 50k rated. As I mentioned in the opening post, I work up into snow country at all hours of the clock. quite often the roads will not be plowed when coming and going. Fortunately it is not hilly at all, relatively flat and interstate except for about 12 miles or so. So I need a tire that is good all around for ice, snow, wet, dry. That is the category I am shopping.
I’ve heard too many times that all terrain tires will be noisy after some initial miles. I believe it’s hard to have a true “all purpose” tire to perform well in every road condition. You have to pick some and lose some. You can check those tire ratings charts and pick one with better scores on both winter / snow and noise categories as a compromise.
DTD has offered me a deal on a new set of tires. I am weighing the options.
Usually Discount Tire will give you credit for mileage hasn’t used. That’s one of the many reasons why I like Discount Tire Store! (y)

In talking with DTD, they seem to think the problem is that the tires are cupping. I rotate regularly and of course the tpms is working. I checked DTD tire buyer tool out and am now looking at a Falken Wild Peak A/T Trail. That tire, if I am reading this correctly is now the spec tire on the 2020 Toyota RAV. The tread does not look as aggressive as the Pirelli, has the mountain snowflake designation, and the price after the DTD credit is about $50 ea. I do not have to ship the Pirelli back.

I'll do some further research and see what I can find out. Reading reviews on tires where the owner has less than 10k on the tires is a bit pointless, I see that a lot.

In my experience tires turn from quiet to noisy between 10k and 20k miles. Probably the rubber getting harder. Some are worse than others, of course.

That's a great deal fom DT if you ask me.

In talking with DTD, they seem to think the problem is that the tires are cupping. I rotate regularly and of course the tpms is working. I checked DTD tire buyer tool out and am now looking at a Falken Wild Peak A/T Trail. That tire, if I am reading this correctly is now the spec tire on the 2020 Toyota RAV. The tread does not look as aggressive as the Pirelli, has the mountain snowflake designation, and the price after the DTD credit is about $50 ea. I do not have to ship the Pirelli back.
Look like you really don’t want any crossover/SUV touring all-season tires. But you’re the one knows what you really want, the on-/off-road all-terrain tire. Not sure if you can find factory recommended size, 225/65R17, though
I'll do some further research and see what I can find out. Reading reviews on tires where the owner has less than 10k on the tires is a bit pointless, I see that a lot.
Yeah most reviews are written when the tires are new. At least they’re telling initial performance. You have to dig into the reviews to find some long-term reviews.

Back