2017-2018 CX5 Touring Taillights

IRBS

:
2018 CX5 Touring
Has anyone else noticed how inadequate the non-led taillights are on the 2017/2018 CX5's? The taillight assembly in the liftgate doesn't light up at all and the only part that does light up is on the curved surface. Seeing how Mazda has all these nice safety features, it's amazing they didn't get the most critical safety feature right (visibility!).

Has anyone accessed the lift-gate taillight assembly in the 2017/2018 model? There isn't an access panel like the previous version had.

IMG_5812.jpg

Has anyone else noticed how inadequate the non-led taillights are on the 2017/2018 CX5's? The taillight assembly in the liftgate doesn't light up at all and the only part that does light up is on the curved surface. Seeing how Mazda has all these nice safety features, it's amazing they didn't get the most critical safety feature right (visibility!).

Has anyone accessed the lift-gate taillight assembly in the 2017/2018 model? There isn't an access panel like the previous version had.

View attachment 218801

You need to take it out from the outside that is undo the screws and take out the whole tail lamp assembly to change bulbs etc

attachment.php
View attachment 218801
Yep you have to open the liftgate and see 2 screws holding the taillight assembly under a cover on the rain-channel. Not much you can do on small lighting area other than trying to swap them with GT's LED taillights or some aftermarket LED taillights which have bigger lighting area on taillight and brake-light.

Last edited:

View attachment 218801

I'm not sure about that but I thought all the new gen CX-5 tail lights are LED with full signature style like the headlights. With all the models having LED headlights, I would imagine the tail lights would be LEDs also. What I do know is that the brake light is incandescent and isn't very visible.

I'm not sure about that but I thought all the new gen CX-5 tail lights are LED with full signature style like the headlights. With all the models having LED headlights, I would imagine the tail lights would be LEDs also. What I do know is that the brake light is incandescent and isn't very visible.

It is in Oz land.

USA/Canada - lower specs are not LED for tail lights

I noticed the same thing on the Touring models. Mazda really skimped on the lights and threw in incandescent lights.

I upgraded my lights with LED brake lights. It made a BIG difference vs OEM incandescent. The 2 bulbs were $80. Not cheap but great quality @ 510 Lumens.

I also updated the license plate lights to LED to make the rear more visible.

7443_xp80_red_pair.jpg

Attachments

• Brake LEDs 2.jpg
    Brake LEDs 2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,046
  • After LED.jpg
    After LED.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 668
Last edited:
I think that's cheap actually. You could spend alot more.

It's like every trim. Bottom ones have less features or specs so one spends more for higher trim to get it all

Thanks for the info on removing the liftgate taillight assembly and the LED bulb info. Ill let you know what solution I end up with as I cant see driving around with these subpar taillights. I dont mind the taillights not being LED but I do mind that such a small portion of the taillight lights up. If you compare the CX-5 (non-GT) to any other modern car you will see how small and inadequate the taillights are.

Thanks for the info on removing the liftgate taillight assembly and the LED bulb info. Ill let you know what solution I end up with as I cant see driving around with these subpar taillights. I dont mind the taillights not being LED but I do mind that such a small portion of the taillight lights up. If you compare the CX-5 (non-GT) to any other modern car you will see how small and inadequate the taillights are.

Here's instructions from the manual if you need it:

qsntc3.jpg

x1fz1y.jpg

30ljo8i.jpg

Thanks for the info on removing the liftgate taillight assembly and the LED bulb info. I’ll let you know what solution I end up with as I can’t see driving around with these subpar taillights. I don’t mind the taillights not being LED but I do mind that such a small portion of the taillight lights up. If you compare the CX-5 (non-GT) to any other modern car you will see how small and inadequate the taillights are.

I agree. The quickest and easiest thing is to replace the bulbs with LEDs. Other than that, you would have to install GT taillights which is costly and involves more labor. Plus the LED plate lights help light up the back end.

Attachments

• Brake LEDs 3.jpg
    Brake LEDs 3.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 822
Since the liftgate portion of the taillight does NOT currently light up at all on the non-LED models, I'm curious to see if Mazda even ran the wires to this portion. I'll try to take off the assembly this weekend, but I don't see any screws for removal of this piece. The taillight section that is NOT on the liftgate looks to be easier to remove and the pages from the manual above are a help for that, thanks.

Since the liftgate portion of the taillight does NOT currently light up at all on the non-LED models, I'm curious to see if Mazda even ran the wires to this portion. I'll try to take off the assembly this weekend, but I don't see any screws for removal of this piece. The taillight section that is NOT on the liftgate looks to be easier to remove and the pages from the manual above are a help for that, thanks.

Let me know what you find. It would be nice if the taillight portion in the liftgate has wiring but I doubt it.

That is true that the non-liftgate is easy to remove. Just a few screws and it pops out.

Let me know what you find. It would be nice if the taillight portion in the liftgate has wiring but I doubt it.

That is true that the non-liftgate is easy to remove. Just a few screws and it pops out.

I had a quick look while the tailgate was up this evening. There looks to be an access panel for the lights in the tailgate on my model.

I noticed the same thing on the Touring models. Mazda really skimped on the lights and threw in incandescent lights.

I also updated the license plate lights to LED to make the rear more visible.

7443_xp80_red_pair.jpg

What LED bulb did you use for the license plate lights? Do they have to be canbus compatible? I am hoping to change my license plate light to LED to increase light throw at the rear to improve vision with the reversing camera at night.

What LED bulb did you use for the license plate lights? Do they have to be canbus compatible? I am hoping to change my license plate light to LED to increase light throw at the rear to improve vision with the reversing camera at night.

Got the license plate LEDs from Diode Dynamics, same place. They are just plug and play

I had a quick look while the tailgate was up this evening. There looks to be an access panel for the lights in the tailgate on my model.

Yes, the first generation CX-5 has nice access panels for the liftgate lights. Mazda decided not to include these in the 2017/2018 models. It appears that access to the liftgate taillight assembly is very involved on the 2017/2018 models and requires removal of most of all the trim on the inside of the liftgate (upper, lower, side), the backup camera, and liftgate switch. We should all hope that we never need to replace the liftgate taillight assembly as I'm sure this will cost a ton of money since it's so labor intensive. I can't figure out why Mazda didn't just include the nice access panels like they did in the first generation CX-5.

Led licenseplate lighting

Bought these ones in the Netherlands where i live.
1.00 p / piece no canbus needed.
Not TO bright !

Greetings Karl

It's almost as Mazda said, how do we make the non-GT model rear tail lights looks as pathetic as legally possible by DOT laws? Then they design the Sport and Touring tail lights for the 2017 & 2018.

That's the first thing I changed on my Touring. LED tail light bulbs and LED license plate lights.

Back