CX-5 Cylinder deactivation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The percentage of Mazda shares that Toyota owns currently is not much but I’ll bet the Toyota influence is much larger than realized. Mazda got their bank loan from a Toyota keiretsu bank that started SkyActiv.

In my opinion the Mitsubishi scandal was overshadowed in the US by their bonehead decision to offer zero% loans to anybody who wanted a Mitsu vehicle. I actually took part in that but I was a tiny minority that paid the payments while most others paid zero. At the 2 year mark Mitsubishi got a lot of used cars back. It was a monumental blunder in their part and they really never recovered.

I am loyal but I don't have blind loyalty. Hence my reason for buying a 2017. I am cautious, just as I would be with the HCCI engine when it comes out. Let it circulate for 2+ years before I am sold on HCCI or CD, or any new tech that hasn't seen real life testing.
That's always a wise move. The general consensus in the automotive world is, don't buy the first year model of a new product. Wait until it matures somewhat.
I come from the Nissan world (owned 5 of them), and can attest to this theory first hand.
Nissan introduced the VQ35 engine in 2001, and had problems with it that were corrected later on. Don't buy a 2001 Nissan product with that engine.
The first 2 years of the QR25 (2.5 l 4 banger) had precat issues that destroyed engines. Anything after 2004 is OK.
Newly redesigned for 2005 Pathfinders had radiator issues where the coolant leaked into the transmission resulting in torched trannies.
No need to go into the Nissan introduction of the CVT's. That's never been fixed.
I could go on, but you get the idea.
I'm sure Nissan is not alone.
It seems that no matter how much they test their products, car manufacturers are going to have teething problems with new products/designs.
BTW, the same issues exist outside the automotive world. Any new tech seems to have hidden problems. Hell, Microsoft still can't get Windows right....lol

Yes it should be. However I don't think Mazda offers "lifetime" powertrain warranty in the US.
I have a Lifetime powertrain 3rd party warranty on my 2018.
The first CX-5 I took for a test drive was the 2018 GT with premier package, we couldn't agree on price. So the next day I went to a different dealership and was looking at the same 2018 GT without premier package, thinking maybe I could save a few more dollars, because the first dealership didn't have one on the lot in Machine Gray. The cx 5 I wanted was in the showroom. I wanted to take it for a test drive to see if there was any difference without premier package. So the salesman said he has the same CX-5 but in a different color I could take for a drive. So I took it out for about 30 minutes or so and noticed it had a lot of road noise. When I went back I asked if the premier offered more sound deadening, he said no why? I said this ride was not as nice as the 2018 CX-5 GT with premier package that I took for a test drive the night before. Salesman said he gave me a 2017 by accident, tried to get me but I was already gone for a test drive. He said the 2018 offered more sound deadening than the 2017. (Well they wanted more for the 2018 without the premier package). So I went back and purchased the 2018 GT Machine Gray with premier package from first dealer. We agreed on a price and I am very happy with it. Plus I been averaging 29 mpg mostly in town. I haven't been on the interstate yet.

Plus I'm not sure how this works. But if I would of purchased a 2017 for lets say $1500 cheaper, cause that is what both dealerships were offering. In 3 or 4 years if I decide to trade it in would the 17 be worth considerably less than the 18? Reason for asking I traded in a 2016 Nissan Pathfinder and if it was a 2015 it would have been close to $4000 less in trade in value with same miles according to KBB. Just curious. Sorry for the long reply.

The first CX-5 I took for a test drive was the 2018 GT with premier package, we couldn't agree on price. So the next day I went to a different dealership and was looking at the same 2018 GT without premier package, thinking maybe I could save a few more dollars, because the first dealership didn't have one on the lot in Machine Gray. The cx 5 I wanted was in the showroom. I wanted to take it for a test drive to see if there was any difference without premier package. So the salesman said he has the same CX-5 but in a different color I could take for a drive. So I took it out for about 30 minutes or so and noticed it had a lot of road noise. When I went back I asked if the premier offered more sound deadening, he said no why? I said this ride was not as nice as the 2018 CX-5 GT with premier package that I took for a test drive the night before. Salesman said he gave me a 2017 by accident, tried to get me but I was already gone for a test drive. He said the 2018 offered more sound deadening than the 2017. (Well they wanted more for the 2018 without the premier package). So I went back and purchased the 2018 GT Machine Gray with premier package from first dealer. We agreed on a price and I am very happy with it. Plus I been averaging 29 mpg mostly in town. I haven't been on the interstate yet.

Plus I'm not sure how this works. But if I would of purchased a 2017 for lets say $1500 cheaper, cause that is what both dealerships were offering. In 3 or 4 years if I decide to trade it in would the 17 be worth considerably less than the 18? Reason for asking I traded in a 2016 Nissan Pathfinder and if it was a 2015 it would have been close to $4000 less in trade in value with same miles according to KBB. Just curious. Sorry for the long reply.

I drove both 17 and 18 and didn't notice a sound difference. Did you drive the exact same route?

As for value in 3-4 years - hard to say. Is the '18 better, only time will tell. The '17 in 3 years would be lower mileage then the same '18 in 3 years. If Cylinder Deactivation has any problems, the 17 will be more desirable. The '17 will always be a year older though.

(hmm) sound deadening may explain the slight increase in weight (2017 went up also) of the 2018 model

I He said the 2018 offered more sound deadening than the 2017. (Well they wanted more for the 2018 without the premier package).

Dealer is full of bull. 2018's and 2017's have identical sound deadening.

2018's weigh more because the cylinder deactivation added weight due to redesigned drivetrain parts, including trans and torque converter. They had to eliminate the vibrations that are caused by cylinder deactivation so they redesigned trans and engine parts. Hence, the added weight of 2018s

The sound deadening is BS and typical dealer nonsense and they don't know what they are even selling.

2018's weigh more because the cylinder deactivation added weight due to redesigned drivetrain parts, including trans and torque converter. They had to eliminate the vibrations that are caused by cylinder deactivation so they redesigned trans and engine parts. Hence, the added weight of 2018s

The sound deadening is BS and typical dealer nonsense and they don't know what they are even selling.
Agreed.

I went back and was reading all about direct inject and the pros and cons of the technology (link below). I found it interesting after doing a search for Mazda and their use of "direct" as opposed to "port" inject, how many people thought there would be huge valve problems because of this. I don't know if the current engines have valve issues or not but was wondering? And are we doing the same thing with this whole cylinder deactivation thing?

https://jalopnik.com/here-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-direct-injection-1823295996

Uhoh....bad news bears.

I went back and was reading all about direct inject and the pros and cons of the technology (link below). I found it interesting after doing a search for Mazda and their use of "direct" as opposed to "port" inject, how many people thought there would be huge valve problems because of this. I don't know if the current engines have valve issues or not but was wondering? And are we doing the same thing with this whole cylinder deactivation thing?

https://jalopnik.com/here-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-direct-injection-1823295996

There have been some valve & fuel in oil problems with direct injection. Usually vehicles that idle a lot or use cheap gas.

With cylinder deactivation, that risks and problems are greater than direct injection. You are basically shutting down 2 cylinders which can lead to oil consumption, oil contamination, valve issues, etc. The risk vs reward of gaining 1 MPG is not worth it in my opinion.

I hope no problems present themselves with CD. I hope the tech is solid. I don't want Mazda getting a bad name for CD

It's a personal choice. Once the 2017's are gone, there will be no choice since all 2018s will have CD.

2018's weigh more because the cylinder deactivation added weight due to redesigned drivetrain parts, including trans and torque converter.

Perhaps. But can you point us to some confirmation of that?

Perhaps. But can you point us to some confirmation of that?

There was lots of talk of balance shafts, special pistons and engine mounts but the only difference is with a glorified thermostat called a coolant control valve which might make a slight difference to the coolant capacity and the hydraulic lash adjuster that deactivates the compression in the cylinder. Everything else is identical to the current 2.5G. I’ve spent quite a lot of time on the Mazda website today reading about it. It seems that it’s a simple as letting cylinders 1 and 4 run light. There’s no fuel and no spark but enough compression to stop oil ingress problems.

I’ve got quite a few new PDFs but these explains the process and the hydraulic lash adjuster.

Yeah the capacity change definitely is related to cylinder deactivation which added a “fulcrum” inside transmission to fight engine vibration. Based on specs from Anchorman, Mazda still uses the same model number on transmissions, FW6A-EL (FWD) and FW6AX-EL (AWD), used by SA-G with or without cylinder deactivation. And transmission with cylinder deactivation has the same capacity as the ones, GW6A-EL (FWD) and GW6AX-EL (AWD), used on diesel. So who knows. (uhm)

BTW, Mazda also dropped rear differential gear lub capacity from 0.48 US qt to 0.37 US qt since 2017 MY for unknown reason.

Last edited:

I'm sure the Mazda powertrain warranty would cover the cylinder deactivation part, but I don't know if a third party will. You'll have to ask them about that. They might not even know that the 2018 CX-5s will come with cylinder deactivation.

I'm sure the Mazda powertrain warranty would cover the cylinder deactivation part, but I don't know if a third party will. You'll have to ask them about that. They might not even know that the 2018 CX-5s will come with cylinder deactivation.

It would likely fit under "and all internal components of the valvetrain..." or some such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back