US Diesel's big splash introduction

The pre-2017 CX-5 in most reports has anywhere between 69-70 DB at 70 MPH. That was identical to the Rouge, Rav4, CR-V and Forester at the time. I came from a CR-V and the CX-5 seemed quieter to me.

Are people here calling it the "Rouge" on purpose as a dig, or is just a really common typo?

But even the earlier CX5's were not nearly as noisy as some people here like to claim. Had a 2013 GT diesel myself. Yokohama tryes on that one from new. Second set were the same. I can not recall thinking to myself "gee this car is noisy" when I first got it. Just didnt happen. Stepped out of a late model SV6 Commodore sedan before it, itself a fairly quiet ride.

It may of course depend on what you had as a daily drive before the CX5. Like any wagon style vehicle, compared to a sedan, youre always going to get more rear wheel noise into the cabin. So everything is relative to your most recent experience.

I think the same applies to people who think the CX5 brakes are spongy - every car I have driven, the brake pedal is different, and you quickly get conditioned to the one you drive regularly. Step out of one that has a sensitive pedal that picks up high up, and into one that is more progressive and requires a firmer foot, then its gonna feel different. You just need to acclimatise your foot and brain to the new one. Some brains take longer to adjust though, apparently, and want to "blame" the new vehicle.

The MY 16 is definitely quieter, and no doubt the 17 is a big step ahead again.

Chuck a set of unsuitable tyres on it and it will have an impact too.

More the 2.0/2.5L version were the noisy versions.

Current ones come with Toyo tyres

It's not a quiet car. Changing the tires made a difference, taking it to sort of tolerable, but on the freeway it's loud. I didn't notice any difference in the 2016.5 from my 2015 but the 2017 is definitely quieter.

Exactly. The noise is a real annoyance on a 700mi trip. It's not as bad as my Z06 was, barely, but it is as bad/worse than my 370Z, and it's in another galaxy from my Jeep Grand Cherokee. The 2017+ in diesel looks attractive if for no other reason than this, but it's not enough to push me to do it unless the mpg is significantly better.

Exactly. The noise is a real annoyance on a 700mi trip. It's not as bad as my Z06 was, barely, but it is as bad/worse than my 370Z, and it's in another galaxy from my Jeep Grand Cherokee. The 2017+ in diesel looks attractive if for no other reason than this, but it's not enough to push me to do it unless the mpg is significantly better.

It will do better mileage

I get 22 to 27mpg now, I won't trade unless I can expect 30 to 35.

City 7.0 L/100km (33.60 USA mpg)
Highway 5.5 L/100km (42.77 USA mpg)
Combined 6.0 L/100km (39.20 USA mpg)

Note - these figures are ours and for AWD

If you get anywhere close to these official figures then good.

City 7.0 L/100km (33.60 USA mpg)
Highway 5.5 L/100km (42.77 USA mpg)
Combined 6.0 L/100km (39.20 USA mpg)

Note - these figures are ours and for AWD

If you get anywhere close to these official figures then good.
So it's rated at 42mpg highway and people are calling bs on 33mpg at 100mpg that one tester got? Why?

So it's rated at 42mpg highway and people are calling bs on 33mpg at 100mpg that one tester got? Why?

No idea.

Just for the sake of doing it, here's UK official figures for High Output AWD:

City: 6.7L/100km, 42.2mpg (35.11 USA mpg)
Highway: 5.3L/100km, 53.3mpg (44.39 USA mpg)
Combined: 5.8L/100km, 48.7mpg (40.55 USA mpg)

So again getting close to these figures would be good.

No idea.

I'd trade for within 10% of those.

The pre-2017 CX-5 in most reports has anywhere between 69-70 DB at 70 MPH. That was identical to the Rouge, Rav4, CR-V and Forester at the time. I came from a CR-V and the CX-5 seemed quieter to me.

Well there you go - proof that the pre-17 CX5 was not a noisy car compared to peer models.

Facts and data trump subjective opinion yet again.

Thanks!

Well there you go - proof that the pre-17 CX5 was not a noisy car compared to peer models.

Facts and data trump subjective opinion yet again.

Thanks!

I never owned those, but facts and data support my assertion. Louder than my 370z. Wayyyy louder than my jeep. Do not like.

In the real world you get around 76% of those stats in the UK, I look at the city figure for a return on a run driving economically. If you do with out AWD and auto with a 150ps you can get another 6 plus MPG.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/mazda/cx-5-2012

No idea.

In the real world you get around 76% of those stats in the UK, I look at the city figure for a return on a run driving economically. If you do with out AWD and auto with a 150ps you can get another 6 plus MPG.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/mazda/cx-5-2012

I believe Unobtainium might get more depending on their roads, travel distances etc

P.S - honestjohn gives a decent review of the new CX-5 low output diesel

Last edited:
I believe Unobtainium might get more depending on their roads, travel distances etc

P.S - honestjohn gives a decent review of the new CX-5 low output diesel

I'm mainly about road trips. I'm also moving further from work, and that's become a factor as well. 50mi round trip per work day.

I thought my 2016.5 was quiet but this 2017! It's definitely a diesel when I start up in the garage but anything above about 20mph and it's just tyre noise.

I tried using the manual shift but had terrible trouble because I simply can't hear the engine so that only gets used for coaxing the occasional up shift.

I thought my 2016.5 was quiet but this 2017! It's definitely a diesel when I start up in the garage but anything above about 20mph and it's just tyre noise.

I tried using the manual shift but had terrible trouble because I simply can't hear the engine so that only gets used for coaxing the occasional up shift.

So how does it feel? I know by the numbers the gas burner is a touch faster, but what's the perception?

Back