2017 Heads up display issue/question

Kevin_JAX

:
2017 CX-5 GT2
Love our new GT2 with premium package and getting used to the heads up display...but there's an odd line / reflection that comes into view when the street signs and speed limit signs come on.

I believe it is a reflection of something and when the stop sign (as a for instance) is illuminated I get this line showing up all across the top of the display. Without the street signs/speed limit sign not illuminated there's nothing shown. Not critical but it is a little annoying to be honest.

Any one else see this line and is there anything I can go about it?

I'll try and post a picture when I can find a place to get it to contrast up in a photo.

Not sure if what you see is same that I do, I typically see a faint white line above the speed, but it disappears when an image above it, like navy comes on

the line looks to appear when there is any additional data to display above the speed indicator. On a side note, has anybody noticed some weird behavior with the sign recognition and display? There is a section of road where there is a posted speed limit of 45mph and the displays just fine in the HUD. But, a few hundred yards down the road where there is a an exit, the HUD updates itself and displays a speed limit of 55mph even though there is no sign for the system to be reading.

the line looks to appear when there is any additional data to display above the speed indicator. On a side note, has anybody noticed some weird behavior with the sign recognition and display? There is a section of road where there is a posted speed limit of 45mph and the displays just fine in the HUD. But, a few hundred yards down the road where there is a an exit, the HUD updates itself and displays a speed limit of 55mph even though there is no sign for the system to be reading.

The street sign recognition is partially camera based, but it also pulls data from the navigation system.

The street sign recognition is partially camera based, but it also pulls data from the navigation system.

Yeah, I noticed it will show wrong speed limit sometimes (pulling data from nav like you say) and then correct once I hit a speed limit sign. It may default back to nav data at some point, but I haven't noticed it doing that yet. Especially in just a few hundred yards. Weird.

I just bought a new 2017 CX-5 GT last night. I too noticed that white line above the speed indicator - the line only seems to appear (so far) when the street speed limit sign appears in the top right. When the sign disappears, so does the white line. It's almost as if the additional info being displayed is causing stray light to be reflected off the top of the internal display device (whatever it is, I haven't researched it).

Love our new GT2 with premium package and getting used to the heads up display...but there's an odd line / reflection that comes into view when the street signs and speed limit signs come on.

I believe it is a reflection of something and when the stop sign (as a for instance) is illuminated I get this line showing up all across the top of the display. Without the street signs/speed limit sign not illuminated there's nothing shown. Not critical but it is a little annoying to be honest.

Any one else see this line and is there anything I can go about it?

I'll try and post a picture when I can find a place to get it to contrast up in a photo.

I just bought a new 2017 CX-5 GT last night. I too noticed that white line above the speed indicator - the line only seems to appear (so far) when the street speed limit sign appears in the top right. When the sign disappears, so does the white line. It's almost as if the additional info being displayed is causing stray light to be reflected off the top of the internal display device (whatever it is, I haven't researched it).

Photos and or online video might help us in determining what this is

It's intentional and appears when there's anything above the speed limit (navigation, sign, etc). It appears to be meant to separate the two halves of the display and is totally normal.

Like this?

attachment.php

hud.JPG

From my understandings from left to right: then center; in the image above...

Blind spot indicated some thing is there.

Lane departure is active

Current Speed MPH (46 mph)

Cruise control was/is set at 70 MPH

Road signs show speed is posted for 60 MPH

The line across the top is for radar cruise control. The more lines you have there reaching upwards is how far away it's registering the distance to the next car .. more lines you will follow further back..

Please correct me if I'm incorrect... this is what the salesman told me during my test drive.

Last edited:
The line across the top is for radar cruise control. The more lines you have there reaching upwards is how far away it's registering the distance to the next car .. more lines you will follow further back..

No, it's just for aesthetics... the radar cruise distance lines are different and only show temporarily when you're changing the settings (they'll look like horizontal thick lines behind a car in the top portion when you're changing the setting).

From my understandings from left to right: then center; in the image above...

Blind spot indicated some thing is there.

Lane departure is active

Current Speed MPH (46 mph)

Cruise control was/is set at 70 MPH

Road signs show speed is posted for 60 MPH

Please correct me if I'm incorrect... this is what the salesman told me during my test drive.

Hmmm... going by the users manual, this is how it is supposed to be displayed:

002.jpg

But as you can see below, it also appears to be a dividing bar to split the information displayed:

Capture.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

But as you can see below, it also appears to be a dividing bar to split the information displayed:

Capture.jpg

001.jpg
Close in your explanation. When you're setting the distance for the radar cruise control it will show the distance lines in the HUD just as indicated in the manual. But after a couple of seconds that display goes away and just shows if it's activated and if a car is being detected in front of you. I'll try to get more pics but it's always a little weird holding my phone up while driving because of cellphone laws and whatnot.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Close in your explanation. When you're setting the distance for the radar cruise control it will show the distance lines in the HUD just as indicated in the manual. But after a couple of seconds that display goes away and just shows if it's activated and if a car is being detected in front of you. I'll try to get more pics but it's always a little weird holding my phone up while driving because of cellphone laws and whatnot.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Thank you.

P.S - maybe helmet cam might come in handy for POV videos and pictures :)

Wow. I'll be coming from an "analog" 1996 Hiace super custom van 😀 so lots of things for me to learn and practice. Knowing is different from applying it in actual driving conditions.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Wow. I'll be coming from an "analog" 1996 Hiace super custom van �� so lots of things for me to learn and practice. Knowing is different from applying it in actual driving conditions.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

You'll be fine!

002.jpg

Capture.jpg

001.jpg

(Been traveling a bit and wasn't able to follow the forum on my regular PC. Only then I realized the pain reading this forum using my android phone browser!)

Xeler8ing, can you please remind me why the speed limit is sometimes displayed in a white rectangular box on the right (as in the example by paging_drburgos) but sometimes in a red circle on the left (as in your example)? Different HUD layout depending on region?

(Been traveling a bit and wasn't able to follow the forum on my regular PC. Only then I realized the pain reading this forum using my android phone browser!)

Xeler8ing, can you please remind me why the speed limit is sometimes displayed in a white rectangular box on the right (as in the example by paging_drburgos) but sometimes in a red circle on the left (as in your example)? Different HUD layout depending on region?
I believe it is indeed region dependent

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back