Reviews Monday for 2017s?

Not sure if the actual door handles were improved as opposed to improving their location within the cabin to make it easier for passengers to access.

I like that Mazda cares enough about details like that to put the effort in they did.

I was joking in case anyone misunderstood. ;) I was very impressed by that video from last week that detailed their design philosophy.

Not sure if the actual door handles were improved as opposed to improving their location within the cabin to make it easier for passengers to access.

Both the position and shape (interior contour) of the handle were modified.

Both the position and shape (interior contour) of the handle were modified.

AND the shape and contour of the EXTERIOR handle was also changed.

Mazda sweats the small stuff, and is interested in continually improving things at all levels. Which is why we see constant tweaks, including even having a 2016.5 model, even after a "redesigned" 2016...

Last edited:
AND the shape and contour of the EXTERIOR handle was also changed.

Mazda sweats the small stuff, and is interested in continually improving things at all levels. Which is why we see constant tweaks, including even having a 2016.5 model, even after a "redesigned" 2016...

I don't think that Mazda spends too much time sweating the small stuff. If they did we'd have more indicator lights in the interior, more storage cubbies, and one touch open/close buttons on all the windows, including the sunroof. In comparing my 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon (sold back to VW as a result of DieselGate) to the CX-5. The VW was WAY more refined than the Mazda. Heck, the VW could even open and close all the windows and the pano-sunroof using the key fob.

I don't think that Mazda spends too much time sweating the small stuff. If they did we'd have more indicator lights in the interior, more storage cubbies, and one touch open/close buttons on all the windows, including the sunroof. In comparing my 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon (sold back to VW as a result of DieselGate) to the CX-5. The VW was WAY more refined than the Mazda. Heck, the VW could even open and close all the windows and the pano-sunroof using the key fob.

If these are the things you need in order to drive, then you need to tell them. (Maybe we can do that right here)

Personally, I need none of the things you mentioned, which is why I buy Mazda!

Maybe some of the other countries can chime in, but I think all of the features you just mentioned are available in NON-US Mazdas??

What indicator lights do you need added?
Where do you need more cubbies? What are you putting in them?
Why do you need to open all your windows and roof from your key fob?

Last edited:
Seems like Mazda read our forums and covered a lot of bases and then some.

Major Forum complaints:
Quieter Cabin (class leader now)
Additional Engine option (may have the best lineup now)
Thicker windshield
Throttle response

Minor Forum complaints:
No stock woofer
Power Liftgate
CarPlay (TBD)

Others:
Headlights (LEDs now stock)
Road Handling (suspension tuned to 2013 specs + G Vectoring Control)
Safety (more high tensile steel used in frame)
i-active has been improved
Recline rear seats
Full-color heads-up display (HUD) which changes height position

^^^ All said....We're keeping our 2013. Tempting to buy a 2017 now but we'll enjoy having no payments for a few years not to mention our CX-5.

I'm very happy to see what Mazda has done to this refresh, the only thing I'm not too happy about is the engine line up. The 2.5L is adequate on output but could use a little refinement, the 2.2D is a welcome change but not without its doubt.

I would be the first in line if they drop that 2.5T in there, make it happen Mazda! Zoom zoom!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

That feature, to open all the windows from your key fob, it's a great feature where the climate is hot. Like here, in LA. You don't want to get in a car, when the outside temperature is 106.

If these are the things you need in order to drive, then you need to tell them. (Maybe we can do that right here)

Personally, I need none of the things you mentioned, which is why I buy Mazda!

Maybe some of the other countries can chime in, but I think all of the features you just mentioned are available in NON-US Mazdas??

What indicator lights do you need added?
Where do you need more cubbies? What are you putting in them?
Why do you need to open all your windows and roof from your key fob?

I don't need those things to drive but I sure do like them and I got used to having them owning the VW for 5 years.

"What indicator lights do you need added?"

Just off the top of my head. (again, I don't need these but I sure did like having them) Door lock status indicators. It's nice to be able to tell the status of your door locks at a glance, even in the dark. Fog light status indicator. Digital readout for the cruise control. There's more but as I said, off the top of my head.

"Where do you need more cubbies? What are you putting in them?"

I'm not putting anything into nonexistent Mazda cubbies. The VW had lots of finished cubbies and storage areas. Lifting the rear spare tire cover of the Mazda yields an unfinished area that holds the spare and associated tools for changing a flat. Doing the same in the VW yields a very nice finished storage area. Plenty of room for a small tool box along with other stuff. Under that storage area is where the spare lives.

"Why do you need to open all your windows and roof from your key fob? "

I see that you live in California, so you're most likely familiar with walking up to your car after it's sat in the sun all day? Wouldn't it be nice if you could have hit a button on your fob while your a distance away from your car and have all the windows and sunroof open to let some of that heat out before you get in? Have you ever walked away from your car only to look back and see that you didn't shut the rear windows or the sunroof? If only you could hit a button on the fob and close em.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the CX-5. I just wish that it had more 'creature comforts'.

Last edited:
That feature, to open all the windows from your key fob, it's a great feature where the climate is hot. Like here, in LA. You don't want to get in a car, when the outside temperature is 106.

Yeah, I had a MINI and could open the windows and the sunroof from a distance and it was wonderful...

I miss that feature too although on extremely hot days I open all the doors and sunroof to let the hot air escape.

I miss that feature too although on extremely hot days I open all the doors and sunroof to let the hot air escape.
For my CX-5 I got a "Covercraft UV11256BL UVS100-Series Custom Windshield Shade for Mazda CX-5 Models"
It is stellar at keeping the car cool. Not cheap though - pretty penny about $50 or up. But man - put this on and park facing the sun - it keeps the car very cool.

I don't need those things to drive but I sure do like them and I got used to having them owning the VW for 5 years.

"What indicator lights do you need added?"

Just off the top of my head. (again, I don't need these but I sure did like having them) Door lock status indicators. It's nice to be able to tell the status of your door locks at a glance, even in the dark. Fog light status indicator. Digital readout for the cruise control. There's more but as I said, off the top of my head.

"Where do you need more cubbies? What are you putting in them?"

I'm not putting anything into nonexistent Mazda cubbies. The VW had lots of finished cubbies and storage areas. Lifting the rear spare tire cover of the Mazda yields an unfinished area that holds the spare and associated tools for changing a flat. Doing the same in the VW yields a very nice finished storage area. Plenty of room for a small tool box along with other stuff. Under that storage area is where the spare lives.

"Why do you need to open all your windows and roof from your key fob? "

I see that you live in California, so you're most likely familiar with walking up to your car after it's sat in the sun all day? Wouldn't it be nice if you could have hit a button on your fob while your a distance away from your car and have all the windows and sunroof open to let some of that heat out before you get in? Have you ever walked away from your car only to look back and see that you didn't shut the rear windows or the sunroof? If only you could hit a button on the fob and close em.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the CX-5. I just wish that it had more 'creature comforts'.

Sounds good to me... In the recent 2017 CX-5 Press briefing, (over 1 hr youtube video perfect for mazdanuts or nerds like me), I LOVED the slide that showed the screenshots from mazda forums like this, showing critical complaints or issues the folks like us have. That is why I prodded for your well given explanation.

At times have seen 115-118 degrees in the summer up here, I would LOVE the FOB feature you speak of!

I have that option on my X3 and on hot days it is actually nice to be able to open windows / sunroof as I'm walking towards the car.
I know it seems trivial but it is a useful feature in the summer months.

In the recent 2017 CX-5 Press briefing, (over 1 hr youtube video perfect for mazdanuts or nerds like me), I LOVED the slide that showed the screenshots from mazda forums like this

I knew it. They do read our forums.

Here is an interesting video from Australia xtrailman posted in another thread:

Back