JDM led abmient light

On other cars, the LED has a red or blue color and a bit recessed. You could also add a resistor or increase the value of the existing one, to dim it a bit.

I've already put together version 2 of my ambient lighting project using exactly that! I'll start a new thread on ambient lighting so as not to mess up this thread specific to the JDM OEM lighting

Yep, my guess is that there may be other area's of resistance somewhere in the electronics of the JDM console that isn't getting used the way you did it. The OP shot looks much dimmer then yours. I could be wrong but that would be my guess.

Could be, I guess there could be a resistor hidden in the casing of the overhead light, although the circuit board on the back of the LED includes what looks like SMD resistors

If anyone has the OEM part number to the JDM kit and or the install instructions in English I would love to take a look them.

Part number for CX-5 welcome illumination (red) is C832-V7-050
Installation instructions: http://shop.crayford-mazda.co.uk/pub/files/013_Mazda_CX5/Interior_Styling/Welcome_Illumination_C832V7050/1341242948_Fitting_instruction.pdf
I used the CX-3 kit which uses white LEDs instead which is C851-V7-057
If your car has illuminated sill plates then you need the harness adapter too which is C830-V7-700

+1

This is what I had to do when I installed my own ambient light (smd led purchased off ebay). I placed it in the cubby in front of shifter because I was worry about distractions while driving. Tapped into the radio dimmer wire.

I'm planning to do this one today too. I read a great tip online yesterday that you can dim/diffuse an LED by simply scuffing the surface with sandpaper and it does work! As I've said above I've fitted red LEDs to my overhead console now which make a much less distracting light and a nicer red glow over the center console area.

Here's what I figured out so far....

Red and Black get plugged into the light harness... Black into spot #2, Red into spot #4.
The pins seem different than the existing ones, I had a hard time locking the pins in place, so I just left the locking piece of the clip off...

29078546515_feef03ce78_k.jpg
[/url]Ambient wiring harness. Black in spot #2, red in #4 by seajus s, on Flickr[/IMG]

Harness down the A-pillar, used the existing clips to hold it into place

Down the A-pillar, used the existing clips to attach by seajus s, on Flickr

Dropped it straight down this hole with no problems...

Dropped harness into this hole by seajus s, on Flickr

Gotta figure out where to plug this in though...

29078717395_aee28e400a_k.jpg
[/url]Hmmm by seajus s, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hooked up a 9v battery to test... it works!!

29078510625_342a072184_z.jpg
[/url]Powered by a 9v by seajus s, on Flickr[/IMG]

Night shot doesn't do it justice... Looks nice and subtle, while lighting up the cup holder area.
It's kinda hard to see, I'm too lazy to get the dslr out for a better shot. You can see the light straight above the mirror power light

28460914843_dd4b5575d9_z.jpg
[/url]Night shot of cx-5 ambient. by seajus s, on Flickr[/IMG]

I don't have it hardwired to the car yet. I'd like it to turn on with the headlights and maybe even dim if it's possible...

Is that an Heads up display??

Awesome post! I was wanting to do this a while back but could not find out how and like Ride92, I want it to look OEM.

One question though, is that wire tap the same in 16 year models?

Hello everyone. Where did people on the US order these parts? I am wanting to purchase but can't find them online. Thank you for any and all assistance!

+1

This is what I had to do when I installed my own ambient light (smd led purchased off ebay). I placed it in the cubby in front of shifter because I was worry about distractions while driving. Tapped into the radio dimmer wire.

You can use this link to find the appropriate resistor. The lower the voltage, the dimmer....you can go with variable resistor too.
http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/voltage-divider-calculator
29lh639.jpg

Do you have any more info on how you went about doing this? What LED's did you use, what resistors, where did you find the wire to tap into and what color is it? I like the idea of doing this and might tackle it this winter.

Do you have any more info on how you went about doing this? What LED's did you use, what resistors, where did you find the wire to tap into and what color is it? I like the idea of doing this and might tackle it this winter.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I used some that look just like these so they're probably the same. I scuffed the plastic using sandpaper to diffuse the light which worked very well.

I tapped into the glovebox light feed which I don't believe US spec cars have, you could use the stereo dimming wire which I think is referenced earlier in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i was able to custom order K075 V7 150 (center console cubby light) from japanparts.com. i would let you guys know when it arrives.

i order it too ,, but im ask him about the compatibility with my interior color and they told me
"we don't have choices for color and we don't know if its compatible with yours or no"
so i tell him i want it its ok ill do my best make it fit on my own.
by the way guys there's and web site for tutorial from japan i see it and the big thing is the mic or "navigation mic"
i see the guy try to get the mic from the OEM to that one ,, for me i'm waiting and i will show you when its come to how i do it
hope its fit (unamused) .

here is the link that i told you before try to use chrome explorer to translate from japanese to english

https://www.google.com.sa/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fminkara.carview.co.jp%2Fuserid%2F1226942%2Fcar%2F1542361%2F3836718%2Fnote.aspx&psig=AFQjCNE6pQknv1nFbehPewTU6vP5_rlpfw&ust=1477166373896069

regards

I've disconnected my overhead light now as I was finding it too distracting driving at night. The ambient light forwards of the gear lever in the cubby gives a nice glow over the area behind it too so I don't think the overhead lights are necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are you using the overhead console with down light ??
can i ask you is it plug and play ?? or need some wiring ? because i didnt see exactly if the unit are plug and play .

well, yesterday i installed the cubby light in front of the shift knob. looks great. A few things to take into consideration tho. the cubby itself does not have a hole or position to install the light so i had to drill my own hole an fit it in. the cubby has to be taken out of the car wich required to remove the center console panels and a few other stuff out of the way. in my case the glove box already had the light fixture so i took power from there. im very pleased with the results and the pictures does not make justice on how good it looks. Next up is the overhead console, when it arrives.

Important Note: This kit comes with the light fixture for the glove box so you get 2 lights on the same kit.

38dc3adf0fb753d8478c0e082912fbae.jpg

4ac7f1390a5f5e25d83c2fbc9230bb38.jpg

well, yesterday i installed the cubby light in front of the shift knob. looks great. A few things to take into consideration tho. the cubby itself does not have a hole or position to install the light so i had to drill my own hole an fit it in. the cubby has to be taken out of the car wich required to remove the center console panels and a few other stuff out of the way. in my case the glove box already had the light fixture so i took power from there. im very pleased with the results and the pictures does not make justice on how good it looks. Next up is the overhead console, when it arrives.

Important Note: This kit comes with the light fixture for the glove box so you get 2 lights on the same kit.

38dc3adf0fb753d8478c0e082912fbae.jpg

4ac7f1390a5f5e25d83c2fbc9230bb38.jpg
This cubby light is nice and I really wish it comes from factory along with glove compartment light. And the wiring harness for glove compartment light is missing for US spec CX-5 which will be more hassle to get a power source for the cubby light. The kit you got seems to use incandescent bulbs, not LEDs.

Does your Automatic Climate Control system have our missing "ECON" AC mode?

This cubby light is nice and I really wish it comes from factory along with glove compartment light. And the wiring harness for glove compartment light is missing for US spec CX-5 which will be more hassle to get a power source for the cubby light. The kit you got seems to use incandescent bulbs, not LEDs.

Does your Automatic Climate Control system have our missing "ECON" AC mode?

this kit comes with a led bulb for the cubby, but it is masked with a dark tint (wich is removable). In the picture is is located almost in the middle ( grey and black box looking thing). the incandensent bulb is for the fixture on the glove box, wich i did not used beacuse i already had it from factory.

and yes mi AC does have the ECON mode as this car came equiped with i-stop.

Last edited:
Looks great! I cannot find it on Japanparts.com, can you please provide the link so I can purchase? Thank you!

Back