O/D Off Flashing, No codes

ManicCasanova

:
Mazda Protege 5
After a mini road trip (San Diego to Bakersfield) 2 weeks ago my car has been acting up. The first startup of each day the car goes into limp mode. I start the car and all is fine but once I put it in drive the transmission feels like it does nothing, and eventually the O/D off light starts to flash. Of course restarting the car makes it go away and then the car drives with no issue. This happens every 1st startup now, doesn't matter what time of day. I don't know if it is related but but twice now when I have gone to start the car I just get a single click and no turn-over and I have been having a low idle (cleaned MAF sensor, no leaks, intake and throttle body were cleaned as well). I get nothing on my OBDII and I have had 3 quick stops to tranny shops to give me the code and not one got a code from the scan. I did notice a sound coming from the transmission when the problem occurs, maybe its a sign of a specific failure. Any help would be great.

The sound can be heard at 1 second in and at the 8 second mark of the video I got of it. Its a small buzzing like sound.

VIDEO

This is a common thing over time a while back I had a issue like that where the OD light would not turn off it was my INPUT speed sensor ..

This is a common thing over time a while back I had a issue like that where the OD light would not turn off it was my INPUT speed sensor ..

Wouldn't that cause the speedometer to act up? The previous owner said He changed the speed sensor. Perhaps the one he put in is failing already? It's the sensor that sits on tip of the tranny right?

Input speed sensor is not for vehicle speed. The PCM will detect slippage by comparing input and output shaft speeds.

The buzzing could be the EPC or shift solenoid. Their resistance can be checked, I'm sure PCB will stop by with the appropriate diagrams from the FSM for this procedure.

I would lean more toward the EPC with not having any gears at all.

Last edited:
The buzzing could be the EPC or shift solenoid. Their resistance can be checked, I'm sure PCB will stop by with the appropriate diagrams from the FSM for this procedure...

I don't know what an EPC is but I did find this...

(you really should otta get a 5-speed... they're way funner)

What could explain why there is no code or pending codes, and that this only happens at the first start up and then drives fine the rest of my day?

What could explain why there is no code or pending codes, and that this only happens at the first start up and then drives fine the rest of my day?

Solenoids commonly fail intermittently.

EPC is electronic pressure control. It regulates line pressure in the transmission.

"(you really should otta get a 5-speed... they're way funner)" LOL AGREED!!!

This is my first automatic. The p5's out here that were 5 speed and for sale were in various sorry conditions. I find myself getting much more distracted by things around me when driving automatic.

Well, the only thing that is distracting driving a 5-speed are the flashy lights in the rear view mirror.... LOL

Although I haven't gotten the opportunity to work on my car the past few days. In the instance that I do need new solenoids, where is a good online store to purchase them from or is it something I'm going to have to go to the dealership for?

Did you manage to fix your trans issue? I've been having the same problem for the past few days.

I replaced the Speed Sensor and there was no change. I have just been dealing with it as I only ever had to restart the car once to get the light to go away but all this past week it has been A LOT worse. I am having to turn the car over about 20 times. I finally got a code but it was a P0660 which I can't imagine being the problem.

I have noticed the car acting weird as of late. The passenger window wouldn't roll down from the driver side control, but then the next day it was back to normal. I also got a brief glimpse of the flickering A/C control light but that was for like 10 minutes and it has not happened again. I'm at a loss. 5 transmission shops can't pull any codes.

Looking back at it, I saw 2 types of speed sensor, the one I pulled from the top of my transmission looked very small, identical to this one. While looking I also saw a different looking sensor that was being sold as a speed sensor that looked like this. What is the difference?

Our car gets its speed information from the ABS speed sensor if it is equipped with ABS... (way more accurate)

If your car does not have ABS then it is driven by a toothed gear installed in the transmission. ( the second picture)

Back