What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

What is funny is that before I removed the stupid tuba you could feel the engine run out of air at about 110. Without the "tuba" with the engine getting air through the duct the limiter is the only thing holding the van back. She would probably do at least 119, maybe even 120 LOL No there are no CEL from removing the tuba, or from the cold-er air duct. I also removed a resonator from the top of the airbox, so mine sounds really angry when I floor it. I finally replaced my cabin air filters today, and I can repeat what others have said before. That job SUCKS! Not doing that again=WIN

I felt the cabin filter was easy as pie, just needed a swivel to get to the bolt heads.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

+1. There's a couple of pretty easy tutorials. Hardest part is lifting up the top one to slide in the bottom one

Any pictures?

Sure thing.
Before:
yHBvOSu.png

After:
lvXBE7Y.jpg

8yzNbUC.jpg

I got these in the mail:
Ywmhe4w.jpg

(Apologies for the picture-filled post, spoilers won't work.)

Last edited:
Easy as pie would be my wifes CRV. 10 minutes, no tools. Mazda5 requires watching a video, crawling upside down under the dash, removing four screws (two of which are largely invisible) two plugs, sliding out old filters (make sure you pay attention to where they were in relation to one another and the housing) BTW if you didn't remove the junction box and its bracket first you have to muscle the new filters in around THAT thing. The filters must go in JUST SO, or the whole mess won't go back together. Completely unnecessary pain in the ass! There, I've vented and now feel much better LOL Phantom, those are going to look GOOD! Please post some pics once they are mounted up

Stranger things have happened I'm sure. I wasn't completely sure I would find filters in mine at all, the opening looks too small.

Serpentine and Drive Belt replaced today using the zip-tie method. I had to use 2 zip-ties with the drive belt because I didn't the thicker ones and also had to work a little harder to get it seated properly. Another job that is harder than it should be because of design (just like the cabin air-filter and headlights)... still though, from start to finish took me only about 30 to 45 minutes, all in.

Replaced my ghetto dryer vent CAI pipe, with a slightly less ghetto Spectre expanding vinyl duct meant for such purposes. Car is quiet again, except for the exhaust leak that I couldn't hear over the leaking airbox before :( Its always something....

Sure thing.
Before:
yHBvOSu.png

After:
lvXBE7Y.jpg

8yzNbUC.jpg

I got these in the mail:
Ywmhe4w.jpg

(Apologies for the picture-filled post, spoilers won't work.)

very nice, shes looking mint, I'm liking that fender gap, id like to drop mine an inch or so, did you do anything to the rear control arms.? ive been reading its super hard on the bushings when lowered..

Replaced my ghetto dryer vent CAI pipe, with a slightly less ghetto Spectre expanding vinyl duct meant for such purposes. Car is quiet again, except for the exhaust leak that I couldn't hear over the leaking airbox before :( Its always something....

Hows that look? got any pictures of how you ran your setup?

here was my take on adjusting the front drivers seat to tilt abit, I made mine adjustable with a turn of a wrench. I used a 35mm bolt with two washers and two nuts on each., just loosen the rear seat bolts to thread the front ones in a lot easier. don't mine the ugly surface rust..it came like that, err.

mwrtia.jpg

here was my take on adjusting the front drivers seat to tilt abit, I made mine adjustable with a turn of a wrench. I used a 35mm bolt with two washers and two nuts on each., just loosen the rear seat bolts to thread the front ones in a lot easier. don't mine the ugly surface rust..it came like that, err.

mwrtia.jpg
I think I was the first to make that modification, seats are my only real complaint with the car. It just wasn't meant for truly tall people.

Replaced the plugs this morning, my second set of Denso Iridiums since I bought the car. The old plugs looked really good, equal wear of the electrode, all four plugs the same color (frosted light whte). I'm pleased and encouraged that they looked so good with the current milesge of 219,516. She may see 300K in my ownership after all!

very nice, shes looking mint, I'm liking that fender gap, id like to drop mine an inch or so, did you do anything to the rear control arms.? ive been reading its super hard on the bushings when lowered..

Thanks! I haven't done anything to the rear control arms yet. I'll get into it as soon as I buy the rear swaybar.
Just bought new tires (BFGoodrich G-Force Comp2 A/S). They should be coming in tomorrow.

I think I was the first to make that modification, seats are my only real complaint with the car. It just wasn't meant for truly tall people.

I'm glad you did for the rest of us to follow! (first)I totally agree it needed tobe raised, and having no factory adjustment just gets me.. ,but like most said it felt like your falling forward, especially coming from the protg as my daily(now project car) was quite the difference.

Replaced the plugs this morning, my second set of Denso Iridiums since I bought the car. The old plugs looked really good, equal wear of the electrode, all four plugs the same color (frosted light whte). I'm pleased and encouraged that they looked so good with the current milesge of 219,516. She may see 300K in my ownership after all!

Hey, I replaced my spark plugs today, too! Car is at 84k miles and I went with the NGK plugs that are OEM. I picked them up from the Mazda dealership after they price matched online ($13.99 each) and I didn't have to pay any shipping. Super easy, I'm just a bit worried if I tightened them enough. Don't want to strip or break them!

Also replaced the cabin air filter for the first time since I got the car.The filter was disgusting and a lovely green color with mildew. Also damn, that is a pain in the ass to change.

I'm glad you did for the rest of us to follow! (first)I totally agree it needed tobe raised, and having no factory adjustment just gets me.. ,but like most said it felt like your falling forward, especially coming from the protg as my daily(now project car) was quite the difference.
You're very welcome, feel free to use my reverse camera or remote starter diy also :) I don't get why they felt the seat was good as it was. Even worse is the forward tilt gets more pronounced when you Jack up the seat height. It feels like they want you to stand while driving lol. I've thought about changing the seat base to a power 6 unit but I don't have the time or facility to fabricate it. A power memory seat would be amazing.

Speed3 seats ftw! Installed the new Pioneer 6886r speakers that have been languishing in my bedroom since christmas. Now that the rear "fill" isnt fuzzing out so bad at high volume i can hear how crappy the stock front speakers are :p I need some guidance on how to wire the external crossovers that come with the Polks i have to replace them, ive never done a factory component replacement before...

Latest posts

Back