Little bit of bass for cheap

Tyrdstorm

:
2014 Mazda6 I Grand Touring
The factory Bose system just doesn't have any bass at all (it says it has a subwoofer?!?), so I was looking for something cheap that doesn't take up a lot of space that could fill in some of the low notes. I wanted to keep my entire trunk space available for strollers and the trunk pass through needed to be kept clear as well, so a normal sub box wasn't going to work. I wasn't looking for anything that would shake my mirrors, but it had to add a little to the bottom end.

I decided to go with the Pyle PLBASS10 slim subwoofer/amp. I know it's junk, but it does what I wanted and it was cheap ($125). It's small, mounted out of the way and it does add the missing low notes. You're not going to wake your neighbors up with it or give yourself a massage, but it does make a huge difference in the overall sound of the system.

Here are a few picture of where I mounted it in the trunk. It's up under the rear deck. You actually can't see it at all when you're standing over the trunk loading things in and out, but the pictures were from a lower angle.

img_0702.jpg

img_0703.jpg

img_0704.jpg

img_0705.jpg

The factory Bose system just doesn't have any bass at all (it says it has a subwoofer?!?), so I was looking for something cheap that doesn't take up a lot of space that could fill in some of the low notes. I wanted to keep my entire trunk space available for strollers and the trunk pass through needed to be kept clear as well, so a normal sub box wasn't going to work. I wasn't looking for anything that would shake my mirrors, but it had to add a little to the bottom end.

I decided to go with the Pyle PLBASS10 slim subwoofer/amp. I know it's junk, but it does what I wanted and it was cheap ($125). It's small, mounted out of the way and it does add the missing low notes. You're not going to wake your neighbors up with it or give yourself a massage, but it does make a huge difference in the overall sound of the system.

Here are a few picture of where I mounted it in the trunk. It's up under the rear deck. You actually can't see it at all when you're standing over the trunk loading things in and out, but the pictures were from a lower angle.

img_0702.jpg

img_0703.jpg

img_0704.jpg

img_0705.jpg

Nice yea i feel the same way the bass just doesnt hit and i was thinking of doing something like this. good job on this write up

nice! most all-in-one systems come in a tube design. i havent seen one like this before. definitly a space saver.

Might not wake up the neighbors but cheap and out of the way. Looks good.

Wait a second..did you just say the bose system doesn't have enough bass?

Wow....you are the first person to ever say that

You sure you have a bose system,?

I'll be the 2nd. Higher frequency bass is very overstated in this (and many other) bose systems in order to make up for the complete lack of the rest of the low end spectrum. It is annoying.

I am coming from an old mazda3 with a crap stereo so I guess I'm easily pleased..
Op mentioned the mirrors shaking..my mirrors shake from the bass like crazy but I assumed it was normal since the woofers are in the door. Is it the same for your cars?

You sure you have a bose system,?

Oh, lol. I thought this was sarcasm, so I didn't respond. I've never had a Bose system with any kind of real bass. My previous 3 cars all had Bose systems with "subwoofers" and they all sucked. Everything sounds so much better with a little bit of low end now.

Looks great! That's kind of what I was looking for, something compact and not a door buster. My silverado is running front MB Quartz Premium components with a 4 channel Alpine V12 amp, rear Infinity Kappa speakers with a 2 channel Alpine V12 amp and 2 10" Kicker subs with a D-class mono Alpine V12 amp. Lets just say the Bose is missing some umpf vs. my truck system. I've Dymamat the doors and trunk on the 6 and it's sounds very different, but lacking that bass.

Does the Pyle heat up too much? Did you install Hi-Lo converters to install into the Bose factory head unit? Can the 10" sub be changed? My thoughts are to use the housing but change the speaker. I mean the Bose has 11 speakers...it's pretty good.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered it online for $134. I think you are right. The system is missing that kick you get out of lower bass register.

Does the Pyle heat up too much? Did you install Hi-Lo converters to install into the Bose factory head unit? Can the 10" sub be changed? My thoughts are to use the housing but change the speaker. I mean the Bose has 11 speakers...it's pretty good.

I haven't noticed much heat, but it is in the trunk so I don't really know. I just used the high level from the rear speakers. In hindsight, I probably should have used the lines from the front doors and used a low pass converter, but it sounds just fine as is (had to fade a little to the rear). I guess you could change the 10" sub if you can find one that slim.

I haven't noticed much heat, but it is in the trunk so I don't really know. I just used the high level from the rear speakers. In hindsight, I probably should have used the lines from the front doors and used a low pass converter, but it sounds just fine as is (had to fade a little to the rear). I guess you could change the 10" sub if you can find one that slim.

I just purchased a 6 w/tech package and would love to try to do that to mine.....how difficult would it be for someone who hasnt done that before (i have attached aux ports and such and i am pretty handy with electronics so if someone pointed me in the right direction i could figure it out) including your low pass converter theory.......you would make my day

spair tire speaker box

it seems a constant issue in these small cars, wanting more bass and not taking up any storage space. I have a 5 and it has no storage, so any extra room is valueable. I came up with this as a solution, it needed a little modification but nothing major.IMG_20130505_102625.jpgIMG_20130505_102625.jpg

You could have got your input signal from the Bose amp that is in the passenger front kick panel. Where did you get your remote turn from?

Still plenty of room for my use ;). Focal 10" + Ground Zero 2250X 500W.

picture.php

Line feed is from rear door cable.

picture.php

Last edited:
it seems a constant issue in these small cars, wanting more bass and not taking up any storage space. I have a 5 and it has no storage, so any extra room is valueable. I came up with this as a solution, it needed a little modification but nothing major.View attachment 202879View attachment 202879

Do you have more info on that? I am looking for similar solution.

Back