The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

Dou you guys think a oil cooler is over kill? I'm going to a Doc B oil setup and didn't know whether I should put a cooler on it or not. Plus I didn't know where I would put it if I did since I have a FMIC and a full dual core rad. Any suggestions?

Yes, IMHO. I do not use one and neither does Bill.

Dou you guys think a oil cooler is over kill? I'm going to a Doc B oil setup and didn't know whether I should put a cooler on it or not. Plus I didn't know where I would put it if I did since I have a FMIC and a full dual core rad. Any suggestions?

No need for an oil cooler. An AWR oil pan would be a better use of money. More oil capacity is good for both oil temps and to keep the level above the pump when a lot of the oil is up in the head.

I already have a AWR pan. I just need to have a bung welded for the bypass line for the external pressure valve. Thanks for the info guys. I figured it would be overkill since I don't do any endurance racing, plus I can always put one on later.

anyone up for MOONLIGHT GOLF?? Friday, August 17 at 9pm at Mastick Woods (Cleveland Metroparks) ... if we could get a total of 8 people they've let me play the whole group at once, just have to buddy up and play best ball.

again Friday, October 19 at 645pm same place.
I would be down for both dates.

anyone up for MOONLIGHT GOLF?? Friday, August 17 at 9pm at Mastick Woods (Cleveland Metroparks) ... if we could get a total of 8 people they've let me play the whole group at once, just have to buddy up and play best ball.

again Friday, October 19 at 645pm same place.

im down, possibly for both dates

any estimate on price?

and yea, i remember being at the range with Phen one day and a dude busted out a golden eagle (first shot and i KNEW it was a 50 cal) that BOOOOOM is very distinctive haha

i would carry a different gun than i would use for home defense...

CCW and im going with a double action trigger (either cock the hammer and short trigger pull or a longer trigger pull) makes "accidental" discharges a bit more difficult which is actually likely to be my next gun purchase, + while i love my glock, its not the lightest pistol which makes CCW less than ideal with it (still does the job til i can get a nice revolver though)

if we are talking strictly home defense, 12 gauge shotgun with some 00 or #1 buckshot is my choice (most likely 00 cause +1 isnt the easiest shell/load to find)

Evan, feel free to hit me up sometime or next time i'm out, i can give you some advice/tips on these kinds of things... i can help show you things to look, help you find what you would like but after that the choice is yours, it will depends on how it feels to you, and how much you are comfortable spending
(example of that, my dad has a S&S M&P [Smith and Wesson Military & Police] pistol, i have a similar very similar Glock, the feels of the 2 guns are really like night and day, and even though they are very similar in alot of aspects, he really prefers the M&P while i really am not that wild about it, i mean its a nice gun but there are things to me that im just not as comfortable with, and vice versa with him and my Glock)

I've always wanted a 12 gauge. My buddy has a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip. That thing is fun as hell to shoot. I felt like such a badass firing off a bunch of rounds HAHA.

I've been considering getting some kind of hand gun to shoot at the range for fun. Steering towards a 22 as they are so much cheaper to shoot compared to a 9mm. I'll probably hold off until the winter. Since I won't be able to race then, I'll need something to keep me entertained

I've always wanted a 12 gauge. My buddy has a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip. That thing is fun as hell to shoot. I felt like such a badass firing off a bunch of rounds HAHA.

I've been considering getting some kind of hand gun to shoot at the range for fun. Steering towards a 22 as they are so much cheaper to shoot compared to a 9mm. I'll probably hold off until the winter. Since I won't be able to race then, I'll need something to keep me entertained

ill extend the offer to You and anyone else that i offered Evan #1, next time im in ohio, maybe we can meet at a range and i will gladly let anyone shoot my pistols, if for nothing more than to help you get an idea of what you may or may not like

But yes, .22 pistols are generally cheaper, alot cheaper to shoot (500 rounds for $20-25 vs 500 rounds for $80-90 for a 9mm)
so they are great choices just for going and plinking at the range

and yea.... shotguns are fun, Clay Pigeon shoots are a BLAST, but aggrevating and get the competitive juices flowing all at the same time, you miss one and your like DAMMIT! throw another one, i gotta hit that little fucker hahahaha
i have 2 hunting/sporting shotguns (12 gauge and a 20 gauge) and eventually will pick up another 12 strictly for home defense and deck it out to look more tactical than just your basic hunting/sporting shotgun

Last edited:
ill extend the offer to You and anyone else that i offered Evan #1, next time im in ohio, maybe we can meet at a range and i will gladly let anyone shoot my pistols, if for nothing more than to help you get an idea of what you may or may not like

But yes, .22 pistols are generally cheaper, alot cheaper to shoot (500 rounds for $20-25 vs 500 rounds for $80-90 for a 9mm)

Thanks, I might have to take you up on that offer next time.

My friend and I were at the shooting range shooting his 22 rifle (with a scope) and his 9mm. Some guy in the booth next to us had some kind of crazy Taurus revolver. That thing was huge and kind of annoying. Trying to shoot while the guy with the Taurus was shooting.......haha I could not shoot accurately because his blast would physically move me screwing up my aim. He must have spent like $300 in bullets in the 1 hour he was there. Kinda pissed me off because he wouldn't take a break!!!! LOL

and yea.... shotguns are fun, Clay Pigeon shoots are a BLAST, but aggrevating and get the competitive juices flowing all at the same time, you miss one and your like DAMMIT! throw another one, i gotta hit that little fucker hahahaha
i have 2 hunting/sporting shotguns (12 gauge and a 20 gauge) and eventually will pick up another 12 strictly for home defense and deck it out to look more tactical than just your basic hunting/sporting shotgun

^ Thinking about buying a .22 soon to go and hang out at the range. (My local range, proarmament in Cuyahoga Falls) I haven't really had an opportunity to shoot many guns- and I don't want to spend a lot. I frequent a site called "slickdeals" and they occasionally have some guns. Most recently, they have the Ruger SR22 22LR for $297 with free shipping. Have you shot them or seen them around? Do you know if they are any good? Could you recommend a different .22 that is near that price range? (300-400)

tl;dr- Thoughts on the Ruger SR22 22LR?

Thanks!

^ i personally have never shot one, but from what ive read, and heard about them, they are pretty nice little pistols.

One thing to keep in mind with .22 pistols (even some .22 rifles for that fact) is they can be very finnicky with certain brands of "bulk" ammo (the 500 rds for 20 bucks),
i have had all kinds of troubles (failure to fire, failure to eject) with Remington and Winchester bulk brands, but Federal bulk and CCI shoot fine with little to no issues, i know other guys with different makes of .22 pistols and they can shoot Remington or Winchester bulk with no issues and the Federal gives them issues. it may take some time to find what your pistol likes and dislikes, but once you do the issues shouldnt be too bad

all that said, i have shot several times at the shooting range at Proarmament and bs'd a little with some of the guys, they seem to have a very good knowledge and those guys wont lead you astray... IMO id go in, tell em you want a .22 pistol tell em you are looking at the Ruger sr22 but are open to advice, recommendations on other .22's. as well as looking at others, getting a feel for them and things like that

I've had my eyes set on a 9mm P99 for a while, but I'd like to feel the difference in triggers before I actually get one. Other things take priority now, but I'd like to have something to take to a range and have at home, just in case.

sounds like we should set up a Cabela's meet once they finish building the store in Colombus... i mean granted it wont be done til Spring of 2013, but it is truly an awesome place/store, i can picture it now, a whole line of Mazdas amongst a sea of lifted trucks in the parking lot (rolf2)

I've had my eyes set on a 9mm P99 for a while, but I'd like to feel the difference in triggers before I actually get one. Other things take priority now, but I'd like to have something to take to a range and have at home, just in case.
Do it! I have a P99C (the compact version) and I love it. I personally prefer the AS trigger. The QA is too "Glock-like" and similar to that on a PPS, which is why I didn't get a PPS for CCW. After shooting a Walther for a while all Glocks feel cheap, LOL!

Do it! I have a P99C (the compact version) and I love it. I personally prefer the AS trigger. The QA is too "Glock-like" and similar to that on a PPS, which is why I didn't get a PPS for CCW. After shooting a Walther for a while all Glocks feel cheap, LOL!

i own and LOVE my glock, but i will agree, it does feel kinda cheap, but damn if that thing isnt accurate and reliable as hell...
ive put that thing through an ample beating more than once and ive never once had an issue with it.

i bought a co2 powered pellet pistol this weekend and killed a snake with it! lolol

but i am considering buying a remington 870 because ill be living in my fraternity house off campus in detroit that has issues with breakins. and i also wanna get into hunting bird. so i think an 870 would be a good gun. my dad already has one with the 18 inch barrel for home defense.

LOL, AJ!

Thanks for all the info and offer, Levi. I'll certainly hit you up on that next time you're in town. Sounds like we should get a firing range meet together too. haha.

Since I'm so very new to firearms I figured I'd ask in here for advice since a lot of you cats are into them. And posting in the firearms thread as a newb would probably get me flamed.

I'm not looking for anything super expensive, or fancy. Like a 9mm I can take to the range twice a month and use for home defense and such. Maybe even a conceal and carry (just for in my car, not on myself) eventually. Any recommendations on a reliable, inexpensive 9mm? I'm not really looking to spend more than $400 and not really going to turn this into a full-blown hobby.

I've considered the compact, even though I'm not really planning on carrying it around, but I'd have to see how it feels. I shot my ex brother in law's 45, compact since he has small hands, and that was not a pleasant experience... would be different with a 9mm but I still didn't feel comfortable holding it

Back