Mazda 6 Brake upgrade

Justin2129

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
I am going to do the brake upgrade. after talking to forzwin, there seems to be some question on the correct e-brake cables

the mz6 cables are too short, so will the p5 cable work? does anyone have a solution for this yet?

I'll try to post progress in this thread and maybe it can become a how-to.

havent looked much yet, but Rock Auto has all the calipers for a little over $400, which beats Advance by a lot. Anybody know of any better deals?

Mine came off of a totalled 2008 MZ6 with 20k miles on it. I think I paid $20-25 per caliper but they were from car-part, for those that don't know, car-part is an online database of the inventory at junkyards across the US and Canada. You can find some really good deals on nearly anything. There were plenty of calipers on there with low mileage so I didn't even consider going with rebuilt calipers. Be careful though, I believe the 2006-2008 calipers/rotors are different (bigger) than the earlier models, buy your rotors according to the year calipers you get.

Junk yard? Any idea how much the caliper brackets pads and dust sheilds are too? I need a caliper 2 roters and pads in the rear figure I may as well up grade just sourcing info on what I want for right now.

I paid 60 for each caliper(fronts with bracket,08 mz6) the rotors were like 60 a piece, so much bigger I think the rotors weigh more than caliper....and like 50 for the pads...I went with ceramics.......and the stopping is unbelievable....I have map rears and the SS brake lines too

Edit: if you still got the sticker 16" rims....there is just enough clearance for the 08 mz6 fronts......I have 17" and I swear a 16 wouldn't fit but yeah

Last edited:
Junk yard? Any idea how much the caliper brackets pads and dust sheilds are too? I need a caliper 2 roters and pads in the rear figure I may as well up grade just sourcing info on what I want for right now.

When I ordered my calipers, they included the calipers but no pads or lines. When they showed up at my door, they were loadee, pads, shims, brake lines and all. It really depends on the junkyard, technically you pay for the caliper and bracket and anything else is a perk. Just clearify it with them at the time of purchase.

As far as the locking up of the protege calipers, the rear calipers commonly seize as a result of their allen key kethod for retracting the piston. The fronts have been known to seize as well, but not for the same reason. The rear mz6 calipers have a more common screw type of retracting the piston, which doesnt lend itself to seizing as easily.

As far as the locking up of the protege calipers, the rear calipers commonly seize as a result of their allen key kethod for retracting the piston. The fronts have been known to seize as well, but not for the same reason. The rear mz6 calipers have a more common screw type of retracting the piston, which doesnt lend itself to seizing as easily.

Thank you, that makes good sense.

So the mz6 rears fit as well.....what's the size? Anyone know compared with the msp rears?

And now it's time for a breakdown, OP feel free to put this in your original post:

Front: (Height | Width | Weight)
2006-09 Mazda6 (v6) : 298mm | 25mm | 19lbs
2003-05 Mazda6 (v6) : 282mm | 25mm | 14.8lbs
2003-03.5 Mazda MSP: 273mm | 24mm | 13.5lbs
2002-03 Mazda Pro5 : 257mm | 24mm | 12lbs

Rear: (Height | Width | Weight)
2006-09 Mazda6 (v6) : 280mm | 10mm | 9.3lbs
2003-04 Mazda6 (v6) : 280mm | 10mm | 9.3lbs
2003-03.5 Mazda MSP: 280mm | 10mm | 9.3lbs
2002-03 Mazda Pro5 : 261mm | 10mm | 9lbs

From what I can find, the 2004 calipers are specific to the Mazda6, but the 2006+ calipers are also used on the Lincoln Zephyr, Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan. The other "perk" to this is that you have easily replaceable rear calipers; one could argue that they made a couple more Mazda6's than MSP's. As you may also note, there can be a significant weight gain along with the upgrade, in rotors alone I added almost 15lbs of rotating mass to my P5. Personally, it's my dd and I wasn't terribly bothered by it, but something to consider if you will be using your protege in a competition environment. Also, I didn't have to trim the dustshields to fit, obviously the front's are a little smaller, but they still protect the majority of the rotor. The rears fit with enough clearence, I wouldn't try to source the MZ6 dustshields unless you're really that worried.

Picture comparison, please excuse the fact there is no caliper in the Before picture, my car didn't come with front calipers :(

Before:
IMG00027-20100926-1618800x600.jpg

After:
IMG00024-20100926-1618800x600.jpg

Last edited:
So the msp rear brakes are the same size as the mazda 6? What about the mazdaspeed 6 brakes? Will they fit or no? I'm really not happy with the stopping power but I'm pretty sure my rear brake situation doesn't help any. Would I be better off going with the mazda 6 or msp rear brakes?

headin to a junkyard this week to pick up some calipers (may see if i can snag mz6 rims too) thanks to forzwin for all the great info!

Back