Damn meathead at the gas station.

Peter B

:
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
Me and some of my budies at work have decided to start biking during our lunch break at work. This is an effort to slow the effects of having a desk job... that is.... we don't want to be fat(er).

So this morning I toss the old bike in the car and head to work, making a stop to top off the tires on the way in as they were a bit squishy (the bike tires, not the one on my baby)

I back the car up to the air pump at the gas station, pop the hatch and walk over to the the machine with my $1 in change. There are two guys standing there, one works in the shop... well call him ethnic guy (EG) since I couldnt figure out his accent or read his name tag. And there was another guy about my age, sports shirt, backwards baseball cap, gold chain.. etc etc. We will call him Meathead (MH).

Here is the conversation we had... I just wanted to put air in my tires and go to work.. it was early... and sometimes I snap and kill people before 11 am.

EG: What size is that? 2.0?
Me: The car? 2.3 Liter
EG:eek:hhh yeah? Is it fast?
Me: Its gotta turbo ... yeah its pretty quick.
EG: No kidding? nice!
MH:I'm not a fan of those little cars... I like the good old american V8... like that camaro. (Points to an old piece of s*** 1980 something camaro)
MH: Now those things are fast.
Me: Well this little thing is pretty quick
MH:Not V8 fast (or something like that)
Me:Well It will do 156 mph + and 0-60 in under 6 seconds.
Eg: ooohhhhhh (impressed)
MH:Bet its not as fast as that (points to an S5)
Me: Well that's an S class, most cars aren't. Although I did beat an S4 off the line up to about 80 mph once. (True story for another time)
MH: Yeah well blah blah blah blah blah...
Me: Yeah I know. The new S4 will do 0-60 in about 4.3-4.5 seconds (according to the sign at the car show I was at.)
Me: Besides its just a supped up little hatch... nothing too fancy
MH: Well my brother has an S4 and blah blah blah blah ... those little cars just can't compete.
Me: I dunno, the new WRX pulls 4.7 in the 0-60 test. Not bad for a little hatch.
MH: Blah blah blah ...The older S4s were faster then the new ones. The older ones had like A million horse power and the new ones only have like 2000... (I tuned out to this one)
EG: Well his is faster then your car. (Points to to a de-badged bronco... or somethign equally bad)
MH: Well yeah thats a truck so....
MH:Those american V8s though you can't beat em.
Me: Yeah I'nm a big fan of the Z06 and ZR1.
MH: Well yeah, the zr1 is the fastest american car produced.
(thinking to myself...ever heard of a saleen s7 dude?)
MH:In a race a camaro would be so much faster then one of those little cars though. (Oh so we are back to this again)
Me: Maybe, I have never seen a camaro that would pull more then .89 on a skid pad. Think the hatch would be better in the turns.
MH:No they corner great. They weigh like 6000lbs (he actually said 6000). They are so heavy they just stick to the road.
(again to myself im thinking this guy clearly has a phd in physics)
EG:That camaro would just be so fast in a race... blah blah blah.
ME:Guess there is only one way to find out.
EG:OOOOHHHHHHH

.... it went on an on. The whole time im thinking dude just shut the **** up and go away. I just want to put air in my bike tires. He's trying to put my car down while making it look like hes not. Its ******* 8:30 am IM IN A BAD MOOD BY DEFAULT. If I had a knife I would stab you in the ******* eye.

He's hangin at a gas station with his bad bronco and putting down othe people's cars at 8:30 in the morning. WHO DOES THAT? SERIOUSLY??

Not knowing my camaro facts I did look them up... the ones I foudn weren't that impressive. Though I was wrong about the skid pad. Odly those things did better then I thought on it. Numbers i saw were in the low 0.9x range.

To you meat head ... hope you had a fun day drinking budweiser before noon, and collecting wellfare. Make sure to punch your girlfriend in the eye and give her one to the jaw for me.

... and the go get a job.

Last edited:
HA i feel you on that one i used to work for a machine shop and heard multiple V8 stories until the wide open throttle supra did work at the track and shut DOWN! multple v8's!

i woulda just let him run his mouth and as i was leaving iw woulda said "have fun driving ur bad v8's wasting more gas and still being slower then me."

I forgot to mention this part. Before I realized what a douche he was (it was early) the word "Porsche" came into the conversation.

MH: Well blah blah blah is so fast that blah blah blah...
Me: Yeah some of those cars are pretty sick.
Me: I met a guy who brought his GT3 Auto-Xing. That thing was so fast of the line I couldnt believe it.
MH: Oh well the Gt2 is faster then the GT3.
Me: Ok (who cares? Have fun 1-uping that too)
MH: Well the alot of people think the GT3 is faster then the GT2
Me: Well the GT1 really the one to get your hands on. That thing is faster then the GT2 or GT3.
MH: No and its just called the carrera GT and its not faster.
Me: No its the not the Carrera GT (fuckhead), its a 911 GT1. Its the one they race in Europe.
MH:Oh well that you cant even get in the states. (Which clearly makes it slower i guess?)
MH: I used to work at a luxury car dealer so I have driven like all the high end luxury cars and blah blah blah blah.

At that point I knew what a bag of douche he really was. I just wanted to give him a great big mirror so he could stand in front of it and beat off to himself. Then I figured he probably already had several at home, and judging by his poor social skills, needed to spend less time indoors blowing his load to his own awesomeness and more time out of the house being a contributing member to society.

Hopefully his bronco has some old pre-recall firestone tires. HA!

Yeah those people will never get it until they see us in action or get their asses handed to them. Just today after work drivng home I met up with a late model Camaro making a racking with the exhaust (sounded badass) and doing some pulls while i'm beside him giving thumps up lol. To bad there was traffic so I couldn't boost:(. So we drove around like idiots.(yupnope)

i woulda been like

shakes_no.gif

as soon as he said
MH:I'm not a fan of those little cars... I like the good old american V8... like that camaro. (Points to an old piece of s*** 1980 something camaro)
MH: Now those things are fast.

Surprisingly, people like that are really common. Back when I was still in school (UTI), I've met plenty of people claiming V8's are the best and all the ricer imports are just wannabes. Then I go on to find out that they drive a Ford Focus or something around those lines.

1. Most of them DON'T drive V8's.
2. Some of them drive imports, but don't claim they are because they're not the typical Civic/CRX/Integra.
3. The few that do have V8's were dynoed at under 200 whp (one V8 had really lopey cams and still only pulled 140 whp).

During one of the classes, the instructor asked a for a few cars to dyno. I didn't want to but I was volunteered by another student because I'm turboed (stock MS3). I pulled 230whp/225wtq and the 2nd place guy with a V8 Camaro got around 160whp. That shut him up...awesome.

I Installed a bunch of lead bars all over the car last night. Added about 500 lbs. This thing is gonna handle like it's on RAILS now! Can't wait to take it through a slalom!

Excellent story. I had one similar but not as extensive as yours (would love to have one though). But I was filling up my old gixxer and a guy in an altima was talking to me about how fast he thinks my bike is and how his car is extremely fast for a sedan

Its one thing to judge a book by its cover and find out quickly that the person you're talking to actual does know what they're talking about, and its another thing to make up bulls*** for a long time (that they have to know is bulls***) and keep assuming the complete stranger they're talking to has knowledge of the subject

As for 1-uppers, its always fun to say "oh my mistake, I meant..." and 1-up their 1-upped remark

Oh I forgot to mention a dinosaur walked past us and I killed it by flexing my pectorals

Yeah thats pretty impressive... I dunno if you missed the part when I opened the hatch a saber tooth tiger leaped out at me. I had to head butt em to the ground. I then killed and skinned with a knife made from a sharpened stone. I'm wearing my new saber tooth tiger slippers as we speak. If you don't have a pair you should really think about getting some.

Oh and also... that during that part of the story where I tuned out... I cured AIDS.

Pshhh when we raced I lost because I was rescuing baby elephants from the zoo so there was atleast 6,000lbs extra in the hatch, but boy it handled like it was on rails.

Pshhh when we raced I lost because I was rescuing baby elephants from the zoo so there was atleast 6,000lbs extra in the hatch, but boy it handled like it was on rails.

(lol) LOL

Baby elephants you say? Hmmm I will have to look into that the next time I go autocrossing. I know a store that sells them.

Back