Help out a Hitch virgin.

I just bought a mountain bike and thinking of buying a bike hitch for my Mazda5. I have never dealt with hitches before and I'm pretty ignorant with regard to hitches. I know I need to have a receiver installed first and then worry about the bike carriers.
Is the receiver something that I can install myself? What's the cheapest hitch I can get away with? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for all the questions. Help out a hitch virgin :)

Last edited:
E-trailer hitch

I put the Draw-Tite hitch on my Mazda 5 (see picture) to use with a Yakima bike rack. The hitch is from e-trailer:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~24773.htm?vehicleid=20097474

It's the 1.25" receiver size. The hardest part of installing it was enlarging the holes in the frame to one-half inch with a drill. Make sure to get a very good drill bit for steel. Then it just bolts on once you get the bolts in the holes. E-trailer provides a tool to "fish" the bolts into the holes. The other bolt is a U-bolt that goes through the tow hook. See the instructions on the page in the link.

I also have a very small utility trailer but I have not installed the wiring. I am think of waiting until my 36k warranty runs out before doing it. Don't want to take a chance on voiding the warranty. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Attachments

• hitch.jpg
    hitch.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 263
I put the Draw-Tite hitch on my Mazda 5 (see picture) to use with a Yakima bike rack. The hitch is from e-trailer:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~24773.htm?vehicleid=20097474

It's the 1.25" receiver size. The hardest part of installing it was enlarging the holes in the frame to one-half inch with a drill. Make sure to get a very good drill bit for steel. Then it just bolts on once you get the bolts in the holes. E-trailer provides a tool to "fish" the bolts into the holes. The other bolt is a U-bolt that goes through the tow hook. See the instructions on the page in the link.

I also have a very small utility trailer but I have not installed the wiring. I am think of waiting until my 36k warranty runs out before doing it. Don't want to take a chance on voiding the warranty. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

wow, the video was very helpful! Is it really hard to enlarge the holes in the frame? and will the warranty be voided if I drill on the frame?

thanks!

wow, the video was very helpful! Is it really hard to enlarge the holes in the frame? and will the warranty be voided if I drill on the frame?

thanks!

NOPE ... we do it at the dealer all the time. Its only say an eighth of an inch larger anyways...drill on and paint the new exposed metal edges.

NOPE ... we do it at the dealer all the time. Its only say an eighth of an inch larger anyways...drill on and paint the new exposed metal edges.

cool, speaking of dealership, I wonder how much it would cost if I buy it from the dealer including installation.. anyone?

Not hard to drill at all - just slightly enlarging holes that already are there. Wear safety glasses if you DIY. Don't use a drill bit with a raised tip and edges (which may be fine for wood) - it gave me a bear of a time. Use a regular looking drill bit of the right size. I just bought a Yakima DoubleDown 4 hitch mount as well.

Not hard to drill at all - just slightly enlarging holes that already are there. Wear safety glasses if you DIY. Don't use a drill bit with a raised tip and edges (which may be fine for wood) - it gave me a bear of a time. Use a regular looking drill bit of the right size. I just bought a Yakima DoubleDown 4 hitch mount as well.

Ok thanks for the info. I'll think I buy the hitch from etrailer.com.

Any suggestions for a bike rack that will not block the brake lights when the bikes are loaded? probably one that has low profile.

regards

What about a 2003 mazdaspeed protege, does anyone on here have a tow hitch installed? if so, what kind and how well does it work? Im looking to move in a few months and I'm planning on towing some furniture in a small trailer.

I've installed several of these from etrailer. Piece of cake. The 5 looks easier than any I've done. I just don't need it... yet.

There is an area to run wiring from up behind the passenger side tail light assembly.

Attachments

• user411_pic474_1244689830.jpg
    user411_pic474_1244689830.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 181
  • user411_pic475_1244689830.jpg
    user411_pic475_1244689830.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 178
  • user411_pic476_1244689830.jpg
    user411_pic476_1244689830.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 178
Where are your pics?? (usa)

wow! you installed that big cargo carrier in a 1/4 hitch? how is it holding up?
I've been considering buying one of those but I'm concerned about putting it on a 1/4 receiver as its gonna swing like crazy from side to side. It also looks like you need to evenly distribute the weight in the carrier otherwise it's gonna twist the living hell out of that frail receiver. But what do I know! I don't own one! :)

pics attached!

IMG_5316.jpg

IMG_5317.jpg

IMG_5379.jpg

IMG_5381.jpg

IMG_5383.jpg

Last edited:
4-bike hitch rack?

Just bought a Mazda5 -- love everything about it except for the unwelcome discovery that 4-bike hitch racks are apparently too heavy for a class I hitch (The alternative, a rooftop rack, is expensive and brings the hwy mileage down to minivan/SUV territory, which negates part of the point of buying the Mazda5 in the first place). Has anyone found a class II hitch for the 5, or ignored the specs and hung four bikes on the back anyway?

With the relatively low ground clearance and long overhang of the 5 in back, would I be scraping the ground at every driveway?

Last edited:
Back