What have you done to your MSP today?

I have the one wheel spins ... maybe i'm cruising on an open diff .. i hate not knowing ... stupid used cars.

Rigged up the RDV so I can at least drive the car. It isn't pretty but it serves its purpose for the time being. I actually have less turkey with this than I did with the Type-H. The car drives better, not great, but better. No more odd stumbles but it does idle lean at times - typically up around 15.5:1. My Type-H-RFL comes in tomorrow but I'm not particularly excited. I'll check to see if it holds pressure, if not, it goes back and I get an HKS, if it does, I'll try it out for a while. The BPV-turned-BOV works okay but it stays open too long - probably because it's meant to be open at idle. I have a couple washers thrown in there to keep it closed as much as I can. However, more washeres = more turkey but less washers = crappier idle.

Anyway, here's a crappy pic of what I did...

Last edited:
i lay down two black marks the length of the axles wouldnt matter one revolution is one revoltution it doesnt matter how long the axle is.

that is caused by the longer axle losing some power by the length, ex: a impact gun does not have the same power with alot of extentions as it would with a socket right on the chuck.

that post makes no sence to me, please clarify...

EDIT: this is what im saying man the msp has a LSD if you leave one black mark you have a open diff and you got stiffed! if you leave TWO black marks the LSD is doing its job and dont burn out too much cause the LSD is weak lol!

that post makes no sence to me, please clarify...

EDIT: this is what im saying man the msp has a LSD if you leave one black mark you have a open diff and you got stiffed! if you leave TWO black marks the LSD is doing its job and dont burn out too much cause the LSD is weak lol!

correction: we have a very good LSD, the housing was put together inexpesively (Mazda's doing, not the manufacturer of the LSD) and we pay the price for that. I have my housing welded and it is a great LSD.

my lsd is welded. but stock it is not a great LSD cause they break so frequently. but it is a good LSD if its welded. so you cant say its a good lsd because you have to make a modifcation inorder to make it good.

Last edited:
That is what I am saying. Tochigi-Fuji Sangyo makes quality parts. Mazda fugged it up by tack welding the housing instead of full seams.

So, back to my origional question, if I jack up one tire and the other is on the ground, in neutral should I be able to spin the raised tire freely? or is the only way to tell for sure if I truely have LSD is to do a burnout? I haven't done one with the MSP yet.. but if its in the name of science I suppose thats a good excuse...

So, back to my origional question, if I jack up one tire and the other is on the ground, in neutral should I be able to spin the raised tire freely? or is the only way to tell for sure if I truely have LSD is to do a burnout? I haven't done one with the MSP yet.. but if its in the name of science I suppose thats a good excuse...

the easist way to test a lsd is raise both front tires up, spin one, the other should spin with it. if it doesnt, its an open diff or not working. you have to remember the lsd isnt a locker, so its not driving both wheels equally, and its also not going to divert all availble power to the wheel with least traction, its just a percentage of that.

yeah, I know the difference between posi and LSD, I just wasn't sure on what a good test for KNOWING you're LSD is working would be... Jacking both up makes sense though, I shoulda thought of that. THANKS!

yeah, I know the difference between posi and LSD, I just wasn't sure on what a good test for KNOWING you're LSD is working would be... Jacking both up makes sense though, I shoulda thought of that. THANKS!

no prob, I just explain things to everyone the same way instead of assuming what someone knows and doesnt so i apologize if i sounded condescending. its just easier that way for me to explain it once :)

I know... I hate him... always has to give the complete answer and not leave any more room for discussion... what place does that have on the forums?! leaves nothing for the rest of us to post, we just have to sit there and lurk!! SO disappointing.

Back