Your thoughts on engine build quality over the years

:
2022 CX-9 GT 2.5L Turbo
2018 CX-5 GT 2.5L N/A CD [RETIRED]
I'm curious if some engines are just tanks especially from the 1990s and 2000's era. My last car was a 2003 Toyota Celica with the noteworthy Yamaha motor (2ZZ-GE 1.8L; same motor used in the old Lotus Elise). I only used regular oil and did the changes every 8,000 km using FRAM oil filters. No issues with the motor.

Drove it to just shy of 220,000 km before the clutch went on it (I learned to drive manual on that 6 speed, bought brand new) in the 13 years I had it. Only other issues on that car was two seized brake calipers and had to change out the thermostat about 7 years in.

I think this deserves its own thread, especially since the topic could span many different brands. I'll move it to the Lounge for you.

I would say that in many instances, they could take more punishment because fuel economy and cost cutting wasn't always top of mind. Tolerances weren't as tight, and some parts of the engine were build using more durable materials. Those engines were also much simpler, with no complicated tech to squeeze out every drop of fuel economy they could get. My 1991 Honda Accord went over 330k kms (205k mi) before I wrote it off in a collision. The auto transmission never skipped a beat either, and I don't remember ever doing any ATF changes on it. From time to time, I still see a couple of Accords and Corollas from that era on the road.

My last car was a 2003 Toyota Celica with the noteworthy Yamaha motor (2ZZ-GE 1.8L; same motor used in the old Lotus Elise). I only used regular oil and did the changes every 8,000 km using FRAM oil filters. No issues with the motor.

Drove it to just shy of 220,000 km before the clutch went on it (I learned to drive manual on that 6 speed, bought brand new) in the 13 years I had it. Only other issues on that car was two seized brake calipers and had to change out the thermostat about 7 years in.

I have an uncle who still has his Celica, same generation as yours, though I think his is a GT with the 1ZZ engine. He's babied that car since day 1, and as far as I know, he's never had any major issues with it, only maintenance items.

I have an uncle who still has his Celica, same generation as yours, though I think his is a GT with the 1ZZ engine. He's babied that car since day 1, and as far as I know, he's never had any major issues with it, only maintenance items.
God I miss that car dearly (had the GTS). That motor really woke up between 6000 - 8400 RPM. Topped out at 220km/h; did this on a couple of occasions chasing a crotch rocket and a fancy Ferrari on the highway (this was when I was much younger and stupid).

I had some larger than life plans for that thing, dropping in a 2.0L Stroker engine with turbo and limited slip diff to start. Then I realized that's $15k in parts and, it's still a FWD.

I had some larger than life plans for that thing, dropping in a 2.0L Stroker engine with turbo and limited slip diff to start. Then I realized that's $15k in parts and, it's still a FWD.

Lol, that's funny because I had plans of building a frankenstein motor for the 91 Accord, then turbocharging it. Lofty goals for someone who didn't even do his own oil changes, LOL

I'm curious if some engines are just tanks especially from the 1990s and 2000's era. My last car was a 2003 Toyota Celica with the noteworthy Yamaha motor (2ZZ-GE 1.8L; same motor used in the old Lotus Elise). I only used regular oil and did the changes every 8,000 km using FRAM oil filters. No issues with the motor.

Engines over the years have gone more and more for diminishing returns on power and efficiency. This means lighter parts, smaller bearing surfaces, less material, etc. It is my opinion that "overall", you will not see the life out of a 2023 engine that you will from a 2003 engine. I think in the late 90's/early 2000's we hit the point where technology gave us extremely reliable engines due to advances, and then we crested that hill and began giving things up to the alter of CAFE and dyno sheets.

Back