Your call everyone

rustychops41

:
2007 Mazda 3s HB
I have a 2007 Mazda 3s HB with a stick. I am thinking of buying a 2014 Mazda 3s HB, definitely a 2.5, and preferably a 6-speed stick if they do indeed appear. Should I or shouldn't I? I remember seeing posts about how if you like your 1st gen you might be let down by the 2nd gen. What will make me happy and what will make me sigh?

2.5L Manual will appear. It is a matter of when.
Mexican Mazda3s have arrived at your dealerships (VIN starts with "M").
Mazda now have more capacity to produce other models.

I think the 3rd Gen is a great improvement over both past generations. My fiance has a 2nd Gen and I've driven a few 1st Gens and I really do think this model is very very good evolution of all of them.

I was unaware any of them were being built in Mexico. From what you see is it a brand new "clean-sheet-of-paper" chassis or a further evolution of the Mazda/Ford C-1 global platform?

It's a clean sheet of paper, a complete divorce from the shared Ford tech. The SkyActiv chassis is based off of the CX-5. The SkyActiv engines are a new design, not an evolution of the MZR line (now owned by Ford and called Duratec and EcoBoost).

This statement: "The SkyActiv chassis is based off of the CX-5" needs revision. :cool:.

Mazda designed the Skyactiv chassis with many derivatives in mind.
From it, many versions were/will be derived from it.
The 1st one being CX5, then Mazda6, now Mazda3. The next CX9 will be also.
If you watch the Drive & Ride video I posted in other thread (or search YouTube for "Mazda3 Drive Ride"), this was mentioned in one of the slides.

Are you sure you need the 2.5??? I am very very happy with the 2.0 6spd Stick!
(band)

What he said! It is want. 184 horse pressures and high 20's city/ high 30's highway MPG is a nice combo. And the 18" wheels really fit the car. Thanks to all who responded. I am definitely going to make the jump, and although I'm a "3 pedals" guy I guess the automatic is really sweet, so I might forgo the wait for a proper stick. :O

It really is an excellent automatic, especially in Sport mode! I would like to see the slight delay in shifting with the paddle shifters addressed, but even so, it's still a blast. I'm also a long-time 3-pedals guy, but as my daily driver, I'm not complaining about this auto. If I didn't have the RX-8 with a manual transmission, I wouldn't have gone with an automatic on the 3, though.

I'm very happy that the paddle shifters are available. This was one of the main reasons getting the car.

The 'automatic' is only a 'typical' automatic (slipping the torque convertor) under 5mph, otherwise it's directly connected to the wheels and engine so no torque lag and GREAT engine braking.

I was told the manual won't come out in the 2.5 until the New Speed3 is made. I opted for the 2014 sGT and I am happy with it, I haven't really had a solid road test yet, but I don't think I will miss the manual all that much.

Back