Year 2 CX-90 changes?

I would like the top of the line PHEV to come with the same interior as the top Turbo S. And drop the 280 HP engine.

I would also like the option to turn off the engine noise in the cabin or have it only there in sport mode.

The below tuning might be an option for the 280 HP engine.

The below tuning might be an option for the 280 HP engine.

I saw that as well. The installation seems VERY simple as compared to the CX-9.

Captains chairs work perfectly for our family situation. When our elderly parents are in the second row, the smaller kids can scoot between them to the rear seat. With the CX90 offering 3 across in the 3rd row and our grandson about to leave his car seat for a booster, the extra seating position will be great for us. By the time the kids are grown to the point the third seat is too small for them, we’ll probably be looking at a CX70.

As for features, the big thing I would like to see changed for the next model year is how they package the trim levels. My 2018 6 GT Reserve and 2021 CX9 GT nailed it. They have all of the tech that the Signature trim did and the Signature trim was all about the high end interior with the super nice materials.

The only other thing I can think of right now is the exterior lighting. All of the trim levels, except maybe the very base models, should have the angel eye accents in the front and the full width tail lights in the back.

I’m sure I’ll have more after we pick ours up next week. :)

Does anyone know of any aftermarket solutions to help with large dogs in this area? I know she can travel in the back area with the third row down but she will want to get into the second row area for sure. Some sort of a device that takes the second row when folded down and evens it out so a dog could walk around would be super ideal.
I use a rachet straps and some netting

Often I see enthusiast-driven cars with an extra brake light mounted to their bumper or in their tow hitch, that flashes when the driver applies the brakes. Common to see on the Subaru BR-Z, Scion FR-S, and Toyota GT86 as an aftermarket modification.

I'd like to see Mazda start incorporating adaptive brake lights. BMW started doing it (they call it Brake Force Display I believe) some time ago. It's basically an extra light that comes on depending on how hard the driver is applying the brake. I think Mercedes has similar tech but it flashes the brake lights, which IMO is better, but is also illegal in the US and Canada. The extra light should be legal as it would be separate from the regular lights.

Maybe an extra row of LEDs in the inner tail lamp assembly?

Not sure if my dealer is blowing smoke but he said the next "major" release will be the 2025 model, released in late summer/fall of 2024 with availability in the Nov/Dec time frame.

He said they are doing running changes/fixing things. Most things are electronic.

Not sure if my dealer is blowing smoke but he said the next "major" release will be the 2025 model, released in late summer/fall of 2024 with availability in the Nov/Dec time frame.

He said they are doing running changes/fixing things. Most things are electronic.
Mazda is likely just including the TSB, recall and software enhancements into the 2025 model. The Mazda President recently mentioned that the CX-70 has some “dynamic” and performance improvements, but this is likely related to the software changes for the transmission. Maybe they could tweak the suspension as well.

That could work. But then they're in your car, going through your stuff.
You could still have to have the key fob to unlock the door, but the remote start programming would be updated to change the shutoff criteria. Instead of checking for "door opening", it would check for fob presence at "brake applied".

No change relative to whether someone can get into the vehicle - at least on Lexus it's entirely possible to unlock the doors via fob after doing a remote start, and a random person could then open the door. It would simply shift the "shut off engine" criteria for the "car has been remote started" State.

I think that's a pretty good idea. The car has the ability to check for fob presence (already does that on a normal start), and can monitor for brake application, and brake application is required to shift out of park, so not exiting the remote start state until brake has been depressed seems rational, with the "shut off engine" action then only happening if "fob not detected".

Thinking back a bit, that's how older remote start systems worked. When you pressed the brake pedal, the engine shut down.

Yup.

A nice update for convenience. On cold, snowy, days I remote start to warm things. My wife gets in the car while I'm finishing brushing off the car, but I have to get in and restart it for the heat to work again.

Similar applies to hot days, when someone needs to cool off.

A lot of remote starter still works like that. For some reason (mainly the japanese like honda, mazda etc) shut off when you open the door, but the theft argument is bogus. The door is locked already, and the brake pedal shut off prevent anyone without the fob to leave with the car if they do manage to get in.

It is the same as when you had physical key in the past. On my CX-9, my aftermarket remote starter keeps running when you open the door, but you have to press the push-start button before you can drive away. When you do it checks the presence of the keyfob in the car. If it is not there it will shut off.

This came up in the past with the CX9. My 19 CX9 came with remote start on the fob, was no issue, open door, get in car, still on.

Course, the heat didn't really function with the remote start, so never as warm as my 17 CRV. Which also didn't shut down when the door opened. Thankfully.

I'd really not like that "feature".

came in here expecting people to have hopes and dreams of mazda fixing all the glitches; leaving disappointed. :confused:

3qpxpn.jpg

came in here expecting people to have hopes and dreams of mazda fixing all the glitches; leaving disappointed. :confused:

Mazda has a very good record of improving their car year after year (at least they did with the CX-9, and they just did it again with the CX-50).

I think the small glitches will be sorted for 2024 (like the BSM false alerts), but my expectations are that anything significant will likely be for the next year (year 3). My reasoning is that cars are usually build 6 months to 1 year before they reach the consumer, this means that Mazda likely started building year 2 model very shortly after people started receiving their year 1 model, by the time consumer complaints and glitches are uncovered, it is too late to integrate in the year 2 vehicles because they either have already been built or are in the process off being built. They can fix small reliability issues mid production runs (like faulty BSM, etc), but big changes like suspension improvements, etc usually remain the same for a full year run. In my opinion, the big year 1 fixes will show up in the year 3 model.

Mazda may prove me wrong, but that is my expectation based on previous update cycles.

I was at my dealer this morning for the 25K service on my 2019 CX-9 GT FWD and while there took the opportunity to check out the CX-90 since I'll be in the market for a new car in 2025. Overall it's a lot like the CX-9 in my opinion, but a deal breaker for me is the even more miserly interior storage space. For example the center console is only about 2" deep unless that was just some kind of removable tray I couldn't figure out how to take out and the door pockets are 1/3 smaller. Also, not surprisingly the sales rep I spoke to had absolutely no knowledge about the BSM sensor issue nor any of the engine problems with the CX-9.

I was at my dealer this morning for the 25K service on my 2019 CX-9 GT FWD and while there took the opportunity to check out the CX-90 since I'll be in the market for a new car in 2025. Overall it's a lot like the CX-9 in my opinion, but a deal breaker for me is the even more miserly interior storage space. For example the center console is only about 2" deep unless that was just some kind of removable tray I couldn't figure out how to take out and the door pockets are 1/3 smaller. Also, not surprisingly the sales rep I spoke to had absolutely no knowledge about the BSM sensor issue nor any of the engine problems with the CX-9.

To be fair, most non-recall related issues I wouldn't expect my salesperson to be aware of. Usually they would be most concerned with selling the car. The service dept should definitely be able to provide more info though. This last bit is a bit of a revelation to me because it had never occurred to me to talk to the Service reps when researching the purchase of my CX-9. I'll definitely be doing this for future new car purchases.

I've been to two different dealers while considering the CX90 and the three different salespeople barely understood the trim levels. Chat up a service advisor and they can usually tell you what they write up the most from memory.

Back