WTF is up with my tranny???

cvp0917

:
Mazdaspeed 3
Ok, i installed all 4 motor mounts last weekend and im not sure if this noise was there and i never heard it till the mounts were in or what but now when i drive i get an almost clicking noise from the area around the tranny. it speeds up and slows down with speed and it was really loud for a while. the only thing i could think of was the motor mounts were off or something and the motor was sitting wrong or something and putting more stress on a gear or bearing or something. so i removed my rear motor mount today cause i couldnt stand the vibrations and noise from it and the noise has decreased some but its still there. now where we had the car up in the air, in gear, i was still able to turn my wheels. this i know is not normal. when i turn one wheel the other wheels turns the opposite direction but with it in gear and the clutch let out i shouldnt be able to turn the wheels. i kinda freak thinking my tranny is messed, finish up and drop the car back down and it runs and drives just fine. i even tried putting it in gear and i couldnt even push the car.

Any ideas what would cause my wheels to not lock when in gear and its up in the air or what that noise could be? im ordering some new tranny fluid next week. im really worried here.

edit- when it was up in the air i was able to turn the wheels and hear the noise no matter what gear i was in.

Ok, i installed all 4 motor mounts last weekend and im not sure if this noise was there and i never heard it till the mounts were in or what but now when i drive i get an almost clicking noise from the area around the tranny. it speeds up and slows down with speed and it was really loud for a while. the only thing i could think of was the motor mounts were off or something and the motor was sitting wrong or something and putting more stress on a gear or bearing or something. so i removed my rear motor mount today cause i couldnt stand the vibrations and noise from it and the noise has decreased some but its still there. now where we had the car up in the air, in gear, i was still able to turn my wheels. this i know is not normal. when i turn one wheel the other wheels turns the opposite direction but with it in gear and the clutch let out i shouldnt be able to turn the wheels. i kinda freak thinking my tranny is messed, finish up and drop the car back down and it runs and drives just fine. i even tried putting it in gear and i couldnt even push the car.

Any ideas what would cause my wheels to not lock when in gear and its up in the air or what that noise could be? im ordering some new tranny fluid next week. im really worried here.

edit- when it was up in the air i was able to turn the wheels and hear the noise no matter what gear i was in.

sounds like a busted axle... check them. they are normally what makes the clicky noise. also, with turning the wheels.. did you continuously turn them in the same direction? cuz it may have not had time to lock up..

If im not mistaken it is normal, for the exception of the sound. Because of the diff if you spin one tire the other spins in the opposite even when in gear. I beleive it will ony engage if you spin both wheels in the same direction then it locks which you proved is happening by putting it in gear and trying to push the car. lift the car again and have someone hold one wheel and try to spin the other if you cant then you are all good.

If im not mistaken it is normal, for the exception of the sound. Because of the diff if you spin one tire the other spins in the opposite even when in gear. I beleive it will ony engage if you spin both wheels in the same direction then it locks which you proved is happening by putting it in gear and trying to push the car. lift the car again and have someone hold one wheel and try to spin the other if you cant then you are all good.

sounds about right for the wheel spin. not the sounds..check the axles and such.

i wouldnt even know what to look for on the axles. i dont see how changing motor mounts could cause this to show up.

Yah your wheels being able to spin is normal. Only autos would lock up due to the parking pal, when autos are in gear they spin free too. But yah it sounds like possibly an axle, or possibly that one of the motor mounts was produced wrong and its touching something.

i wouldnt even know what to look for on the axles. i dont see how changing motor mounts could cause this to show up.

it's a mazda.. weird s*** happens all the time.. "i coughed, and my motor blew"... weird... rofl..

anyways.. look for torn boots inner, or outer(near the spindle, or near the trans.) check for free play..

Back