why the 2.3L instead of the V-6?

Crossbow: I stand corrected on your point. I agree that the front bias on the AWD is a liability for spirited driving.

Speaking as someone who has driven both the 6 and 3 competitively, and done quite well... (at MRIU...) I would take the light weight 10 times out of 10 over power. In fact, with my own autox, that's my choice: 170hp/2800lb MSP vs 227hp/3100lb WRX... I had the choice of either, and chose the MSP because of the handling.

I don't doubt that Mazda will do their best with the handling, and I know from experience exactly how well the 6 handles BEFORE they get to it, but I think the better choice will be to wait until a MS3 comes out, even without the AWD...

Although.... I already have 2 MS cars in the stable, so why not keep the streak alive, and keep buying them as they come out ;)

scapamouche,

Awesome. Sounds like a killer garage. You know the most ironic thing about the Mazda 6...was before I bought it...I didn't even understand the meaning of performance. The car's taught me so much about driving, vehicles, suspension setups, the important of weight, tires, etc etc...and yet its a relatively large FWD open diffy land yaht :).

Its like the car teaches you to appreciate it less ha.

dmitrik4,

101320041189.jpg
10152004105747.jpg

SPEED Editor Sam Mitani gains exclusive access to Mazda's super-secret RX-8. With its specially-designed Mazdaspeed suspension improvements (shocks and springs, anti-roll bars) and supercharged rotary, this is one mean sports car, lapping Willow Springs faster than a Porsche Boxster S or the Nissan 350Z.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article_id=1627

Should be on newstands this week. (280-300 bhp) And it should be lighter then a standard 8...(which btw weighs 2900 lbs in a loaded 6spd MTX sans driver)

Last edited:
If you guys have ever seen the view underneath a v6 Mazda6 then you would understand why they didnt turbo it. Theres absolutley no room for anything else......

God damn.....that s*** is amazing....I think you have to see the stock exhuast system to fully appreciate the lack of room.

there is alot of 6 autocrossers out there...some beating evos and wrx sti's (on dry land) understeer just means you have to turn early before you reach the gate ;) What crosbow an I are trying to say is how quick is the switch and will it cause an autoxer who is already understeering to now oversteer to try and counteract the understeer?

Latest posts

Back