why the 2.3L instead of the V-6?

Crossbow: I stand corrected on your point. I agree that the front bias on the AWD is a liability for spirited driving.

Speaking as someone who has driven both the 6 and 3 competitively, and done quite well... (at MRIU...) I would take the light weight 10 times out of 10 over power. In fact, with my own autox, that's my choice: 170hp/2800lb MSP vs 227hp/3100lb WRX... I had the choice of either, and chose the MSP because of the handling.

I don't doubt that Mazda will do their best with the handling, and I know from experience exactly how well the 6 handles BEFORE they get to it, but I think the better choice will be to wait until a MS3 comes out, even without the AWD...

Although.... I already have 2 MS cars in the stable, so why not keep the streak alive, and keep buying them as they come out ;)

scapamouche,

Awesome. Sounds like a killer garage. You know the most ironic thing about the Mazda 6...was before I bought it...I didn't even understand the meaning of performance. The car's taught me so much about driving, vehicles, suspension setups, the important of weight, tires, etc etc...and yet its a relatively large FWD open diffy land yaht :).

Its like the car teaches you to appreciate it less ha.

dmitrik4,

101320041189.jpg
10152004105747.jpg

SPEED Editor Sam Mitani gains exclusive access to Mazda's super-secret RX-8. With its specially-designed Mazdaspeed suspension improvements (shocks and springs, anti-roll bars) and supercharged rotary, this is one mean sports car, lapping Willow Springs faster than a Porsche Boxster S or the Nissan 350Z.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article_id=1627

Should be on newstands this week. (280-300 bhp) And it should be lighter then a standard 8...(which btw weighs 2900 lbs in a loaded 6spd MTX sans driver)

Last edited:
If you guys have ever seen the view underneath a v6 Mazda6 then you would understand why they didnt turbo it. Theres absolutley no room for anything else......

God damn.....that s*** is amazing....I think you have to see the stock exhuast system to fully appreciate the lack of room.

there is alot of 6 autocrossers out there...some beating evos and wrx sti's (on dry land) understeer just means you have to turn early before you reach the gate ;) What crosbow an I are trying to say is how quick is the switch and will it cause an autoxer who is already understeering to now oversteer to try and counteract the understeer?

Back