Why is Mazda is doing so poorly on the market (share value)

:
Protege
I've been following their share price for some time and haven't noticed any increases. I know they have been struggling without the help of Ford or any other automaker, but I would have thought that the CX-5 would have helped out more. They sell plenty of Mazda's in Australia and Canada and it's growing in the States. Why are they still doing so poorly on the market? Is there something I haven't read that explains it? Exchange rate? Other costs?

Thanks

MazdaMarketShare.png

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/mzdaf

Last edited:
They have also had a ton of R&D costs over the last several years associated with skyactiv and the a few other projects in the works. They aren't selling a ton of cars compared to their competitors either. Lastly they are spending a lot in marketing advertising the new skyactiv system. They will do better in time I'm sure though.

I also hope they bounce back up. I was going to invest when the CX-5 came out, but I'll hold on to my money a little longer. I guess I'll wait until the 6 is out and see then.

One problem for me was not being able to order equipped the way I want. Had to put up with the dealer searching for one that is "close". Always, of course, trying to talk me into expensive options that I don't want.

Always, of course, trying to talk me into expensive options that I don't want.
that's common among dealers across all makes. the trouble with a mfg that is 5th largest in japan is the first 4 have more volume so the "right car" that you want is more likely available.

mazda's woes really began when ford sold most of their stake. mazda was ford's most profitable import brand in its portfolio for many fiscal years, but it had to cut the fat somewhere. they continue to share technology as long as it is mutualy (really financially) beneficial to both.

Exchange rate and doing most of production done in Japan are largest factors impacting profitability.

Back