Who is still loving their CX-5?

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
I have had mine for about a year and the wife & I still love this rig. A great soft off-roader as well...primary use this week at our cabin.

My only complaint and not the CX's fault....it can't legally tow 3-4K pounds but I will reserve that for the beater Explorer 5.0L.

Still lovin' the CX-5 (will be three years this October)!

Still smells fresh and new and drives the same. Runs like a Swiss watch with just oil/filter changes. I love the way it feels light and rigid and yet still has the 5 star safety rating. And the mileage is unbeatable for a car this size with AWD. Between the low servicing needs, high MPG, low gas prices and keeping my driving under 1000 miles/month I'm hardly spending anything on gas and maintenance and yet I enjoy the driving experience more than ever.

Cars have come a long ways in the last decade and, somehow, one of the smaller automakers with more limited resources is leading the way. The heads of the design and manufacturing teams that were in charge of CX-5 development must be mighty pleased with their achievement. I wonder what percent of the people who developed the CX-5 have one in their personal parking space? I bet it's quite high.

I'm several months in, and although it gets poorer mileage than any of the other vehicles I've owned, as compared to their sticker ratings, I still love it. That is the only negative so far. Failure to meet economy expectation.

Heck yeah!!

Owned since May 6, 2015....and STILL looking for any excuse to drive it! As I mentioned in a previous post - here in East Tennessee these are few & far between - I've only seen about 5 others on the road. Too bad, since we are surrounded by beautiful twisty-turny mountain roads. No complaints at all - LOVE it!! (drive)

Mazda 1.jpg
Mazda 2.jpg
Mazda 3.jpg

Last edited:
Yes! I look forward to driving it every day to work and actually wish my new commute was a bit longer (it is just shy of 3 miles one-way!).

2w2htty.jpg

Lovin it!

I'm several months in, and although it gets poorer mileage than any of the other vehicles I've owned, as compared to their sticker ratings, I still love it. That is the only negative so far. Failure to meet economy expectation.

I am always amazed at just how much power this little 2.5l engine has! It seems like it still wants to go, after I enter the freeway...Looking at the speedo...it reaches 75 pretty darn quick for a 4-banger! OF COURSE, THE CX-5 REALLY SHINES IN THE TWISTIES..(bow)

As I mentioned before, I am no youngster, and the CX-5 has made me forget the many years of boring rides that I have been forced to endure, since I have to have AWD where I live! Wasted a lot of $$ seeking a better handling SUV before I found the CX-5.

Last edited:
My tires are squiling in the curves every morning, when I'm going to work. So I'm still having fun and ones in a while, I do an upgrade to keep up the flame.

Past 3 years and coming up to 40k miles soon in our 2.0 2013 CX-5. No squeaks/rattles. Solid construction. AC still strong here in AZ where the temps registered 110 degrees yesterday. Excellent MPGs. We did install some Falken tires last year and it has improved the already good handling a tiny bit.

I'm really glad I canceled my order on a 2016 Outback Ltd and picked up a 2016 GT w/Tech pkg in Deep Crystal Blue off my Mazda dealer's lot. Only had it for about a month now, but I am getting more and more fond of it every day. Love the way it hugs the road, handles like a sport sedan, and that 2.5 seems to have a lot of oomph for a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder (as you can tell this is my first Mazda). Good looker, too. Much more fun to drive than the two previous OB's I owned. Can see the mpg's are gonna be good already, and it's far from being broken in yet. And as a former professional detailer, I just can't keep my hands off those beautiful 19' wheels, keeping the brake dust off them faster than it accumulates! (crazy)

Who knows, when i go to replace my second car (2013 Impreza wagon) in a couple of years, maybe I'll try a Mazda 3 wagon on for size. Don't really need AWD down here in the heart of Dixie........

Cruising some USFS/DNR roads here in WA state today and encountered a herd of sheep ..this is probably one of the land lease agreements herder has with state

[video]https://goo.gl/photos/JPBpECXtCY2Qa2bU6[/video]

It's really cool we have so many nice places to explore around here. I didn't realize it was a video until I saw your "video" tag when I quoted your message.

On another note, it's so heart-warming to see so many CX-5 owners in this thread that are lovin' their CX-5's! Much better than the people that seem impossible to please as in "if only it had rear A/C vents" or "if only the heated seats were a little warmer" or "if it only had memory seats" or "I wish the hood had automatic struts to hold it open automatically", etc. etc. etc.

I'm just glad I have a sweetly engineered car to drive that puts a smile on my face every time I'm behind the wheel with a road in front of me. So many cars just don't do that because they are basically softly sprung, under-damped pigs designed to cushion and coddle fat, lazy, numb asses while simultaneously isolating them from the very experience of driving a real car.

I am always amazed at just how much power this little 2.5l engine has! It seems like it still wants to go, after I enter the freeway...Looking at the speedo...it reaches 75 pretty darn quick for a 4-banger! OF COURSE, THE CX-5 REALLY SHINES IN THE TWISTIES..(bow)

As I mentioned before, I am no youngster, and the CX-5 has made me forget the many years of boring rides that I have been forced to endure, since I have to have AWD where I live! Wasted a lot of $$ seeking a better handling SUV before I found the CX-5.

I honestly don't find the Cx-5 very exciting in the scheme of things. It's very utilitarian, to me. It doesn't impress me, it doesn't depress me. It just gets the job done. It's like a Glock. Sure, you can get pretty impressive accuracy from a Glock, and sure, you can dress them up with stippling and coated slides and all to be sexy, but really, they just WORK and they are cheap. That's the CX-5, to me.

Handling is great for what it is, but very "meh" in the grand scheme of automobiles I've owned and driven previous.

My main purpose in buying a CX-5 is so that I can have a reliable vehicle for the first few years of home ownership, then after it's paid off, I can use it for snow days or hauling friends, while I get back into driving exciting vehicles again!

The one thing I suppose that DOES impress me is the 6A in this thing. It's telepathic, and the torque of the 2.5L DOES allow very impressive RPM on the freeway and going up mountains in my area. It's not buzzing away like I thought it would. Not that it matters really one way or the other, but it is kindof neat!

Had my CX-5 since this April, so glad I choose this one over Tiguan, the only regret I have is I didn't go with GT/tech. That LED headlight is oh so pretty.
Two only complains - Road noise (which is not much of complain of mine but my wife's :p ) and that infotainment system that crash occasionally.

other than that I'm a happy camper, life can't be perfect aint it.

3 years + 1 month and still lovin our CX-5, it's my wife's daily driver. I asked if she wanted to trade in for newer version she was very against it, got attached to it I guess. I do the maintenance myself now on schedule at the regular intervals oil, tire rotation etc.. have a reputable shop that did the alignment recently. Car still gets great mileage, still as smooth as we drove it off the lot. Still as clean as it gets inside and out. Planning on keeping it for as long as it runs.

I have had mine for 25 months and I still like it. My FWD 2.0 handles better than my wife's 2.5 AWD.
I make my tires squeal in the corners whenever I get the chance. Autocrossing Miatae for few years has helped me appreciate cx5 handling. The only thing I wish I had is the back up camera.

Latest posts

Back