Who has made a RACING air dam for the protege third gen???

:
13 CX5
I tried to make one and I just got demolished by the trailer ramp. It also was cheap plastic. Is it more important to have it extend under the car or just the air blocking?? did you have real time change? post up some pics please!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_1371.JPG
    100_1371.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 973
I made mine by mounting a piece of plywood to the bottom of the bumper (MSP lip and bumper cover actually) with spacers and then riveting angle aluminum to the plywood.b then I riveted the harder fiberglass edging to the aluminum. I'll post up pics later if you are interested. I remove my bumper to go on the trailer though, so it may not work for you.
Clark_NASAnats11-166_1600.jpg

Hey Bill, thanks for commenting. I guess the "taking off the bumper" theme is wide spread. I am sure its cheaper than the $700 72" ramp extensions. I guess I will just need to drill out my pop rivets and put in racing fasteners like you for the front bumper. Maybe next off season.

I would like to see a pic or two up close but would love even more of someone saying YES I lost X.XX amount of time from it. And is it the dam or the splitter that really helps???

P.S. got the new GoPro Hero2 cam so I am sure to post up a bunch of cool vids of the spec Pinatas crashing each other!!!!

rolled plastic riveted to my neons bumper from midway down. was shooting for 3" ground clearance front, came out a little lower

2230478_56.jpg

bumper had 2 bolts holding it on with support from foam/bumper support

i also made a fiberglass radiator duct
2230478_42.jpg

and solid fiberglass splitter (6 layers of 18 ounce matt) - think it was 3.5" lip and extended back - this weighed a bunch and has survived a 130mph rip off + 20' plus aerial (but bumper shredded into lots of pieces)

i didnt do the diffusers pictured - this is layout for splitter mold
2230478_48.jpg

mold
2230478_57.jpg

used alum L brackets from rolled plastic to splitter and rivets - back of splitter: i had brackets come down from car and used a zip tie from splitter to bracket.

good for faster exit speeds/straight speeds and made car oversteer - didnt use it much on the Neon, but splitter moved to BMW with a rear wing to balance out.

Ah cool! Thanks man. I am not looking for down force in the front, but more wind efficiency (less drag). So It looks like I just need to make a diffuser. That way I can keep the air flow going into the radiator and not have to take on and off my bumper and hopefully get some more speed. And no unfortunately I am in street tuner class so anything goes. (normally money)

I found that the bottom lip of the font of the P5 aims up. So I still need to make some sort of damn that will be parallel to the ground. Hopefully I can make it easy to attach and remove since ramps are really a nuisance. Bill was wondering where you got that fiberglass piece?

Then you *don't* want an air-dam.

why not? a decently configured air dam with a similarly configured undertray will help with the frontal air flow efficiency of the car. pair that with a modest rear under bumper tray, and they will help with overall fuel consumption at modest highway speeds. you actually lose efficiency from poor underbody flow dynamics.

why not? a decently configured air dam with a similarly configured undertray will help with the frontal air flow efficiency of the car. pair that with a modest rear under bumper tray, and they will help with overall fuel consumption at modest highway speeds. you actually lose efficiency from poor underbody flow dynamics.

What he said. Nice to hear from you again Nik! (been a while)

The original comment made me go back and have to read some quick google searches all over again.

For clarification, it's not so much fuel consumption that is motivating me, as much as, on-track performance.

The next trick will be making it SCCA legal.

Wouldn't the increase in frontal area negate any gains in terms of overall efficiency? I thought that was a huge part of the reason those long distance electric racers look like this:

xinsrc_28208030611202961033039.jpg

and not like this:

121113084112-cup-hom-fantasy-showdown-homepage-t1.jpg

(shrug)

its because you are altering the coefficient of drag. since you can't make your car look like one of those solar racers, this is the next best thing while working with what you have to start with.

Cool to know that there is some down force that comes with the damn. I thought the splitter was the one that made the down force.
IMG_4687.jpg

I thought this was retarded. However I need to keep the balance in the car as its polering perfectly. My rear sway bar is cranked up as much as it will go so I don't want any more traction in the front (or do I have this wrong?). But I guess I will find out how much.

Also I am really hoping to have this come on and of and not the bumper. The bumper is on with lots o help. The front end of my car is not exactly in good shape or even level. So there is many washers and pop rivets holding on stuff. But hard plastic or fiberglass dam with same materiel for the diffuser should be easy to come on and off with 1/4 turn fasteners.

Last edited:
Back