Which Crossbars to buy if CX-5 doesn't have a roof rack?

oldspicejet

:
mazda cx-5
Hi Guys

I'm trying to strap a queen size mattress to my roof but bought the CX-5 without the roof rack since it looked better in my opinion. The mattress will be on the roof for 3,000 miles. I see cars with crossbars only on the road but don't know which work the best for my purpose since Amazon reviews are mixes and I don't know which would fit a CX-5 well with the mattress weight. What do you guys recommend for my trip? Thanks

If you don't want to do the doorframe clip thing, you have three choices:

--Have track installed, which allows you to use most any tower at any position. This is the most flexible, but requires drilling into the roof. A member described this process in detail, do a search for "roof track."

--Use the Yakima fitment guide to get their towers that fit the existing attachment points. You have to remove the trim that sits in the gutter and drill holes in it to match the position of the attachment points. That gives you a pretty wide spread (good for a mattress) and by choosing the right mount points you can get the cross bars more or less level to the ground (also good for something like a mattress, since you don't want it slanted upward where it will tend to generate lift).

--Use the Thule landing pads which a member discovered actually work on our cars, even thought Thule doesn't list them in their fitment guide. Do a search for "Thule CX-5". You might have to hunt around a bit, there have been lots of roof rack threads. I think there the same ones that fit the new 6 and some Subarus. With these you can use the Thule Aerobars (Yakima is round bar only).

I went with the Thules. Note that the landing pads have one attachment point and the factory rail positions have two-- by choosing the right combination of forward and back you can get them level.

Sell the mattress in LA and pick up a new one when you arrive at your destination.

I used Yakima control towers with #11 landing pads (IIRC) on mine along with 48" crossbars before I purchased a hitch and Kuat NV rack to haul my bikes around. I was very happy with that setup.

I'm a fan of roof racks and love the utility they offer but I always cring when I see a mattress on the roof of a SUV on the highway. Don't do it. 3,000 miles means you are guaranteed to get bad weather which will ruin it even if you get it there without the tie-down hassle. They are rarely tied down well and every time I've moved one, I try to put it inside a trailer. As said above, sell it and buy a new one, ship it or install a hitch and rent a trailer that'll hold it.

I'm a fan of roof racks and love the utility they offer but I always cring when I see a mattress on the roof of a SUV on the highway. Don't do it. 3,000 miles means you are guaranteed to get bad weather which will ruin it even if you get it there without the tie-down hassle. They are rarely tied down well and every time I've moved one, I try to put it inside a trailer. As said above, sell it and buy a new one, ship it or install a hitch and rent a trailer that'll hold it.

Best answer. Plus the increased drag will likely have a significant impact on fuel economy over 3,000 miles so you may get to your destination with a ruined mattress and higher than expected fuel cost.

Back