Where to buy subs/speakers/head units

BlackCherry

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
Anyone know where I get some sound system parts for my car for a reasonable price? Also, with the p5 what's a reasonable set up for starting up? Subs, head unit, and a 2 channel amp?

I would check ebay, I got a brand new pair of Infinity speakers for 77 dollars shipped. I had them 2 days after I ordered them and they were about half price.

Anyone know where I get some sound system parts for my car for a reasonable price? Also, with the p5 what's a reasonable set up for starting up? Subs, head unit, and a 2 channel amp?

My brothers buddy has a audio place that he own's has some crazy deals on some great stuff it's called -On The Go Audio- in p.a by philly could give you his number if you wanted.

www.sonicelectronix.com

They have among the best prices on audio equipment, and are actually authorized retailers unlike Ebay stores and etc. I got my headunit (with the dash kit and wiring harness) for $40 cheaper than Crutchfield.

Ok, can someone point me in the right direction in picking a head unit. I want one that support rear and front speakers along with 2 subwoofers, I also want to be able to hook up my ipod to it. How much of a step up is it from the factory head unit? And can someone explain the power output, voltage and all of that stuff, allI see when I look at the specs is a bunch of crazy numbers

Ok, can someone point me in the right direction in picking a head unit. I want one that support rear and front speakers along with 2 subwoofers, I also want to be able to hook up my ipod to it. How much of a step up is it from the factory head unit? And can someone explain the power output, voltage and all of that stuff, allI see when I look at the specs is a bunch of crazy numbers

This is the headunit I have, I love it.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18875_Alpine+CDA-105.html

It has USB so it's not only iPod compatible, but also any USB storage device such as a hard/flash drive.

I love my Pioneer P5900IB, and fwiw I paid less for my pair of brand new Infinity Kappa speakers with shipping on ebay than sonicelectronics.com lists before shipping is added. seller was eclectic_mart

lol, never buy from crutchfield unless they're having a discontinued inventory sale. They're extremely over priced. I would never pay retail price for something, and crutchfield charges over retail price...

woofersetc.com is nice, as well as sonicelectronix.com
I wouldn't be afraid to buy things used either, so long as their in good condition.

As far as figuring things out yourself, its quite impossible. The specs companies throw at you are, for the most part, useless. there are a number of variables that different companies use to test their equipment. Which is why you'll see that a sony xploid amp costs $100, while a zapco amp with the same specs costs $1500.

You can't base your judgment on a headunit based on its specs. Different headunits process the sound differently, which is why a headunit that is $100 will have the same specs as a headunit thats $400. The $400 one is infact, far better (most of the time).

tell us what you would like to accomplish, and what kind of music you like to listen to.

personally, I have:
hu: alpine 9887
front stage: hertz mlk 165 comps
front amp: Image dynamics 700.2
sub: 12'' dc lvl 4
sub amp: sundown sae1200d
processing: audio control epicenter
source: ipod
trunk battery: stinger spv70

But then again, this stuff is almost worth more than my car itself...

I listen to more hardcore music than anything, but I can mix it up, I don't really have a specific genre. I was looking at this one though http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17563_JVC+KW-AVX820.html
So far I'm really liking it a lot. I mean it's not cheap but it's not mad expensive, plus I'd rather have a double din in our car, I think it looks more classy

JVC is alright, pretty reliable stuff.
an alpine 9887 or pioneer prs800 will poop on that with sound quality, but if you want to watch movies while you drive, then that JVC isn't a bad choice.
Personally I don't think a touch screen/dvd player is worth having in the front, because I'll never be able to use it lol. I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend $200 more so the person next to me can watch a movie while I drive.

Whats the rest of your setup looking like?
What bands do you listen to? I mostly listen to senses fail, the used, thursday, scary kids scaring kids, chiodos, sky eats airplane, dance gaven dance, as well as a wealth of others.

For the things I've listed, the lowest bass notes are around 50-70 hz. Subs aren't made to play notes that high, thats more in the midbass range.
To get more bass out of songs that don't play low enough, you should get an epicenter.

Imagine a piano, its the same 7 keys over and over. On the left are the low bass keys, on the right are the high keys.The bass in rock songs are played on the keys in the middle. What an epicenter does is take those keys played in the middle, and duplicates them, playing them lower on the piano. Its the best $100 I spent. I'd defiantly recommend getting one if you invest money into a good sub.

Crutchfield.com

Agree! Just got a new head unit, fron and back speakers, and removing kit, installation manual, and all the wires. All kenwood. Only cost me $170. I cant wait to install!!

crutchfield is a very good company.(yippy)

an alpine 9887 or pioneer prs800 will poop on that with sound quality, but if you want to watch movies while you drive, then that JVC isn't a bad choice.
Personally I don't think a touch screen/dvd player is worth having in the front, because I'll never be able to use it lol. I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend $200 more so the person next to me can watch a movie while I drive.

What bands do you listen to? I mostly listen to senses fail, the used, thursday, scary kids scaring kids, chiodos, sky eats airplane, dance gaven dance, as well as a wealth of others.

For the things I've listed, the lowest bass notes are around 50-70 hz. Subs aren't made to play notes that high, thats more in the midbass range.
To get more bass out of songs that don't play low enough, you should get an epicenter.

Imagine a piano, its the same 7 keys over and over. On the left are the low bass keys, on the right are the high keys.The bass in rock songs are played on the keys in the middle. What an epicenter does is take those keys played in the middle, and duplicates them, playing them lower on the piano. Its the best $100 I spent. I'd defiantly recommend getting one if you invest money into a good sub.

hey you seem very knowledgeable about speakers so can i ask you on your opinion on the best speakers i could buy. i still have the stock headunit. im looking for more power/bass though still keeping it clear.

im looking at infinity 6820cs

price limit is 150. i want to get as much power/bass i can outta the stock headunit/sub hoping speakers will do the job on giving me a whole different sound experience in my p5.

Ok so in ur opinion what headunit do you think I should get? I want sound quality but I also like the double din look. I don't really care much for the DVD player as much as the screen, I like having the big screen versus the little one. My music jumps around a lot, like I could go from something like Emmure, to some catchy blink-182 then switch it back over to something like A Day To Remember or Set Your Goals

hey you seem very knowledgeable about speakers so can i ask you on your opinion on the best speakers i could buy. i still have the stock headunit. im looking for more power/bass though still keeping it clear.

im looking at infinity 6820cs

price limit is 150. i want to get as much power/bass i can outta the stock headunit/sub hoping speakers will do the job on giving me a whole different sound experience in my p5.

You didn't ask me, but I have Infinity Kappa 6829cf speakers in my car and HIGHLY recommend them. I love the way they sound, and they are very good quality speakers. I got them on ebay for about half price and they were brand new, still had the plastic wrap around them.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I went cheap on the rears, some Pioneers that were like 40 bucks. They sound just fine and I didn't want to spend a lot on speakers you can't even hear in the front seat, I just wanted to upgrade from the stock bs.
203.jpg

Back