When to change shocks and struts?

:
08 cx9 grand touring
2008 cx9 115K
Trying to figure out if I need front shocks and struts. It "kinda" feels like I might need them when driving over rough pavement or potholes. It seems like it might be making a noise or hitting a little hard, but then again not really. The car doesn't float when driving at any speed. I actually already bought Midas quick struts but I'm on the fence if I should return them.
I've had the car for most of it's life so I know they are original

Could very well be with 115k and you frequently drive on rough pavement. Where do you get your car serviced? They should be able to put car on lift and show you if they are needed or not.

Could very well be with 115k and you frequently drive on rough pavement. Where do you get your car serviced? They should be able to put car on lift and show you if they are needed or not.
I do everything myself. How do they test shocks and struts? Nothing is leaking

Noise over rough pavement could be a lot of things other than shocks and struts (ball joint, tie rod end, etc).

A good way to test a shock is to press on the hood or other car body part to compress the shock. If the gos back up and stops it is likely still good, if it goes up and bounces up and down multiple time it is bad. Oil leaking on the shock can be a sign as well.
The
All that being said, being a 2008 the shock are likely worn at least and not working to their best performance potential. Some people replace shock to get the original performance back, but i personnally wait until they fail.

This is not a definitive answer of course, all that to say that the noise may or may not be the shock. You need the get the car up and inspect everything for play and movement. Like i said, ball joints and tie rod end can also make noise over rough pavement and bumps

Here's an article that should help. Also, it appears you need a wheel alignment if you replace the struts.

Last edited:
Change them when they start to leak. And do them in pairs.

For example, a few months ago, the wife was complaining that her Mazda5 was wandering all over the road. I jacked it up, looked at it, and the passenger side shock was oily. Changed both rears out, and it was like new again.

Check suspension bushings as well, those may be worn and could be allowing some components to move more than they should be, contributing to the noise.

The strut mount at the top of the strut is a thrust bearing that carries the weight of that corner of the car while allowing the wheel assembly to turn. It is equally worn and due for renewal.

I agree fully with sm1ke, and I've had a noise that came from inside the strut. New struts fixed that. At 115k lots of parts are due for replacement. You got good service from them.

Back