What's next for the CX-5?

De gustibus. I personally like the design. I find it way more atractive than other cars in this class.
true. we all have different tastes no doubt:). We have put 30,000 miles on ours since the end of January of 23 and I like the handling and the drivetrain feel. I can stomach the front end and side view ok but the back end just looks wrong to me. Fortunately I can see the back end while driving..

If Mazda chooses CVT, I'll say bye bye. That would be a reason for me to ditch the car.
There is 0 commonality between a conventional belt/chain-driven CVT like what you'd find in a Forester or Rogue with the eCVT system found in the RAV4 hybrid. The "ratios" are all governed by an electric motor, which decides where to shuffle EV and gasoline power. (whether to the wheels directly or to the hybrid battery) This motor is called MG1. The hybrid battery can then use that power with MG2 (the main EV traction motor) or MGR (the rear AWD electric motor). It's not adjusting the transmission ratio to change the torque multiplier or drive ratio.

IMHO, Toyota should have come up with a better name than eCVT. I remember when I owned a '05 Prius, Toyota did not call it eCVT. Planetary gears, that was what Toyota called it.

Back