What tire options are there for more grip?

mazdait8

Looking at a CX-5 Signature and some reviews have mentioned that the tires are really loud and tirerack ratings seem poor for the Toyos. Would like to add more grip for turns, so would going wider to maybe a 235 instead of 225 help?

There doens't seem to be very many options for tires in the stock 225/55/19 size and the General Altimax RT43 seems to be very popular here. Although for $30 more I wouldn't mind getting something reviewed higher in dry performance in the Continental TrueContact Tour.

Looking at a CX-5 Signature and some reviews have mentioned that the tires are really loud and tirerack ratings seem poor for the Toyos. Would like to add more grip for turns, so would going wider to maybe a 235 instead of 225 help?

There doens't seem to be very many options for tires in the stock 225/55/19 size and the General Altimax RT43 seems to be very popular here. Although for $30 more I wouldn't mind getting something reviewed higher in dry performance in the Continental TrueContact Tour.

BF Goodrich!

I'd ideally want summer times but tirerack has only all seasons for the 19 Signature's stock size of 225/55/19.

That the issue when you start getting into the really large wheel sizes like 19s and 20s, your tire options become more limited. 17s are now pretty much the industry standard, but even with 18s you have a lot more tires to choose from. If you don't mind going slightly different size, Michelin makes their Pilot Super Sport in several different 19" variations, and they are extremely good tires.

If you are going to stick to what tires rack has in your size, I would not go with the General Altimax RT43s. I had them on my 2015 Subaru Outback and they didn't grip all that well. The rubber was really hard. The Hankook Optimo would be your best choice from tire rack IMO.

when i was looking for summer tires,
I checked 235 55 r19, the following models seemed good options and were available in that sizing.

michelin latitude sport , high price
continental sport contact 5
pirelli scorpion verde, good price

This is easy. You switch to 245/50/19 sized tires. Your tire options will open up. As soon as the DWS06 are done, I'm most likely switching our CX-5 to Cooper Tires Zeon RS3-G1 tires.

Edit: I run 245/50/19 on the stock GT rims. So you don't even need new wheels.

Back