What have you hauled with your CX-9?

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
So we bought a house about a month ago, and I've been able to negotiate some great deals on second-hand furniture from Kijiji and FB Marketplace. Since I've posted a couple of those pickups in the "What did you do to your CX-9 today?" thread, I figured that these kinds of posts should have their own thread. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's hauled stuff before, lol. This might also help someone visualize whether the CX-9 has enough room for their needs.

Please post your hauls here. Pictures would be ideal, but aren't necessary.

Most recent pickup. Dining table with leaf extension (leaf removed for transport). The table is approx. 52" wide. The second row had to be folded flat, and table legs had to be partially disassembled. The table also came with six chairs, so I placed on the in passenger seat, drove everything to storage, then made a second trip for the rest of the chairs.

20220503_103908-jpg.309773

From when we moved from Alberta to Manitoba. Little bit of everything in there. Stroller, baby stuff, weight plates, rubber tiles, etc. We hired a moving company for the rest of our stuff. They charge by the pound, which is why all of my weight plates are in the trunk, lol.

IMG_20180625_190106.jpg

While I was in Calgary, I snagged a free functional trainer from an older woman who wanted it out of her space so she could finish up with some renos. All I had to do was take it apart and haul it away :)

full

full

She also threw in a couple of rubbers mats as well.

Today I'll be picking up a home theatre speaker bundle. Should be no issues because it's only two floor standing speakers, two bookshelf speakers and a centre channel.

Never took pics, but when I first got the 9, I had to transport the extra parts for my old ride to its new owners place. Put most of this crap in the 9.....

2019-09-07_005.jpg

Again, no pics, but had it full of personal belonging when doing a big spring cleaning last year.

The only image I do have is from early last summer when I got to return all the loaner medical equipment after my surgery.....

2021-06-05_001.jpg

Most recent garage sale haul. Kid's play structure, two tricycles, and some yard tools (leaf rake, shovel, snow shovel). 2nd row was up.

20220610_153522.jpg

I lead service trips in the wilderness where volunteers do, well, volunteer work for federal land agencies in the wilderness. A week's worth of food, plus group (and personal gear) fits perfectly in the back of my 2021 CX-9 GT.

My most recent trip (pictured) had a weeks worth of food for 12, kitchen supplies, personal gear, a couple of tables, a couple of camp stoves, fuel, two coolers and a coffee maker -- there was an electric hookup at the site and good coffee is the key to a successful trip!

I have 2nd row captain seats so made a platform out of a PVC board so my gear is more stable. (You can see it in the rear passenger side picture.) That was a lesson learned from a previous camping trip where my cooler shifted on a tight turn and ended up wedged in the center aisle...not fun trying to get it unlodged at camp that night (especially since that was the beer cooler!). 🍺 😉

Attachments

• 20220310_081517.jpg
    20220310_081517.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 20220310_084219.jpg
    20220310_084219.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 147
I lead service trips in the wilderness where volunteers do, well, volunteer work for federal land agencies in the wilderness. A week's worth of food, plus group (and personal gear) fits perfectly in the back of my 2021 CX-9 GT.

My most recent trip (pictured) had a weeks worth of food for 12, kitchen supplies, personal gear, a couple of tables, a couple of camp stoves, fuel, two coolers and a coffee maker -- there was an electric hookup at the site and good coffee is the key to a successful trip!

I have 2nd row captain seats so made a platform out of a PVC board so my gear is more stable. (You can see it in the rear passenger side picture.) That was a lesson learned from a previous camping trip where my cooler shifted on a tight turn and ended up wedged in the center aisle...not fun trying to get it unlodged at camp that night (especially since that was the beer cooler!). 🍺 😉

Very nice use of available space! Plus you can still see out the rear window lol (y)

Here are a few more pics without the gear to give you a sense of the platform. I bought a 4'x8' sheet of PVC for a repair job on a bay window and had enough left over for the platform.

To make it, I created a template out of poster board (taping the pieces together to get a general idea of the size), transferred it to the PVC and then cut and fit and cut and fit and cut and fit until I had it in the final shape. I sanded the edges to smooth things out in order to reduce any friction between the PVC and any contact points.

I slide it in through the back and then rotate it into place over the captains chairs. (It's too wide to fit through the rear doors.)

I still need to put some grip tape on the top so things don't slide, but when it's packed tight, that's not an issue. (I do put towels between the front edge and the back of the front seats to avoid scuffing the leather.)

I wanted a full bench when I bought this (like we have on our 2010), but couldn't pass this up when I was in the market for a new car last summer. Now that I have the platform, I don't mind not having the 2nd row beach seat.

Attachments

• 20220510_102829.jpg
    20220510_102829.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 20220510_102859.jpg
    20220510_102859.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 133
  • 20220227_135117.jpg
    20220227_135117.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 20220227_135005.jpg
    20220227_135005.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 149
Something easy today. While picking up a space heater for my wife, I came across a garage sale in the neighborhood. Along with a few odds and ends, I snagged a 6ft Werner fiberglass ladder with folding paint shelf for only $15.

20220723_131514.jpg

So how much weight have you had in the back I'm sitting between 850 and 900lbs in ice melt. Plus my toolbox and other recovery gear…

I've had about the same, maybe a little less. About 900lbs in weight plates, rubber mats, and a bunch of other stuff plus my wife and only daughter at the time. We were moving to a different province. The car did much better than I was expecting it to!

I've had about the same, maybe a little less. About 900lbs in weight plates, rubber mats, and a bunch of other stuff plus my wife and only daughter at the time. We were moving to a different province. The car did much better than I was expecting it to!
Cool, I haven't tried towing with it yet mainly as all my trailers require a brake controller.

But she ain't t a pavement princess taken it nearly everywhere someone would take a jeep, still haven't figured out how to take a picture that shows the incline haha

Attachments

• 20210801_144632.jpg
    20210801_144632.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 104
So I decided to try longer ended up cracking the windscreen but got the job done haha

Oof lol

Just noticed the Packout in your previous pic. I'm thinking about buying in during the holidays if there's a nice enough deal. How do you like it so far?

Back