What have you done to your Protege today?

just for fun...
311542_10151090461655030_248261093_n.jpg

545165_10151090548450030_1114122690_n.jpg

=)

that looks pretty awesome actually!!

I did some touch-up paint stuff today, and switched out my power steering fluid cap because the old one was cracked. Has that ever happened to anyone? I didn't realize that the break fluid cap could break. Is that a sign that my fluid is overheating?

Last edited:
I changed my oil today. Golly it was as black as my hair. This is only after 3500K, but after a road trip, so I guess it must have loosened up quite a lot of stuff.

HaHa, Hey all new here to the forum( as with my Protege), but, just replaced the sway bar links and pre cat and am trying to figure out where to go next. I do have a quick question tho, where can I find a replacement oil dipstick? for my 2000 1.6l. I know it sounds like a completely stupid question, but honestly I cant find any info on what size it is anywhere. mine is cracked and I want to replace it before it breaks....

Holiday Bump!!

Also just got done painting my old rusted scissor jack. Did it just for the label, lol.
8UwICl.png

here's the jack;
PYzXXl.jpg

Here's a few pics of my (hopefully) next project.
1jq6Hl.jpg

Q3UYJl.jpg

Hi - Brand new forum user. Original owner of 2002 ES Standard Trans. - just starting to work on it on my own. Tired of my car being sabotaged so I will go back to the mechanic.
I just gave a complete oil change and tune up (coils, plugs, wires) changed a leaky valve cover gasket, both O2 sensors, and after another CEL, a fuel pressure regulator. Now that the engine is so smooth and quiet I can hear a rattle at 1 - 2 gear, but I think it is probably a loose lower heat shield (hoping.) I'll be checking that soon. But it doesn't seem to be affecting performance so I am not too worried right now.

Looking forward to learning a lot from this site. :) Nice to meet you all.

Hi - Brand new forum user. Original owner of 2002 ES Standard Trans. - just starting to work on it on my own. Tired of my car being sabotaged so I will go back to the mechanic.
I just gave a complete oil change and tune up (coils, plugs, wires) changed a leaky valve cover gasket, both O2 sensors, and after another CEL, a fuel pressure regulator. Now that the engine is so smooth and quiet I can hear a rattle at 1 - 2 gear, but I think it is probably a loose lower heat shield (hoping.) I'll be checking that soon. But it doesn't seem to be affecting performance so I am not too worried right now.

Looking forward to learning a lot from this site. :) Nice to meet you all.
Happy to have ya, man. There is much to be learned from this site, it just depends how much spare time you have so that you can do some reading. There is a long list of How-To's in that designated sub-forum, along with a multitude of build threads with tons of information and pretty pictures =D

From the junkyard, pulled: an auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass out of a Mazda 6, also an amber lighted cigarette lighter from a Mazda 3, and a variable intermittent wiper switch from a 626. Installed the wiper switch and have worked out how to install the mirror and lighter from the electrical diagram.

Just got out of BCT the other day, and am putting my car up for sale. Im gonna miss her. =[

replaced my rear struts with the Rockauto special Sensens. Happy to say the rear "strut clunk" is completely gone now and my car rides like a cadillac.

my passenger size engine mount is toast and Autozone wanted $135.99, and it's a dealer direct item. Rockauto has them for $34.99, $101 savings.

my 97 protege rolled over 300k miles at the local taco bell drive through yesterday. Pretty damn happy about that. Runs good and its burning about a quart of oil within 3k miles.

Resurrecting a leaky over heating 93 protege DX sohc...installed head gasket kit...1.8L Bp engine...head resurfaced 2 leaking valve seals, injector seals, intake manifold rebuild, and installed a new water pump, alternator, radiator. Various sensors changed out and thermostat as well....runs like it should now...lots to do yet...help me with parts if ya have any front grille or bumpers laying around! :) Also, found the main problem was someone used radiatior /block sealant...this is what was clogging all the coolant ports on the block....argh!!!

Last edited:
Back