What have you done to your P5 today?

Cut out the factory fan box and installed a cabin air filter. With the factory 626 cover/seal assembly.

DSC_0473.jpg

DSC_0471.jpg

DSC_0474.jpg

This is a mod I would like to do......if my fan box is ready to accept it. What size is the filter?

Last edited:
Got new tires, installed camber kit front and rear, and got a 4 wheel alignment done. This is the 1st time I've ever done an alignment and wow I can't believe I've been neglecting this service for so long. My steering wheel no longer vibrates or shake, it is perfectly still, and now its magically centered. I had gotten used to the crooked steering wheel. Also, the car drives so smooth, like a mercedes lol. It felt like the car was gliding on ice, I got kind of anxious driving it lol.

This is a mod I would like to do......if my fan box is ready to accept it. What size is the filter?
Don't know the size, however the filter/s (2 parts) are exactly the same as GF 626 (07/1997-08/2002). Pic below.

rca102p.jpg

Will fit Protg fan box as it's exactly the same as GF 626. But the opening on the Protg is blanked from factory and needs to be cut out very carefully without going in too deep (4-5mm deep cut max) as you'll end up cutting into the filter mounting tracks. One of the easiest mod's you can do to a P5, and well worth it.

Install instructions HERE.

GF 626 Eclipse carbon fibre front window switch trims, and swapped the interior door handles to lower spec.
The door handles look 100% better without the silver IMO.

DSC_0455.jpg

DSC_0456.jpg

got my 626 valve cover stripped and refinished in preparation for when my stupid valve cover gasket shows up so i can do the infamous 1.8litre coilpack setup ;)

17191036_10211094514310463_7525918910041492306_n.jpg

Don't know the size, however the filter/s (2 parts) are exactly the same as GF 626 (07/1997-08/2002). Pic below.

rca102p.jpg

Will fit Protg fan box as it's exactly the same as GF 626. But the opening on the Protg is blanked from factory and needs to be cut out very carefully without going in too deep (4-5mm deep cut max) as you'll end up cutting into the filter mounting tracks. One of the easiest mod's you can do to a P5, and well worth it.

Install instructions HERE.
Doing the mod will be easier than scoring the door part I'm thinking.........wouldn't happen to have a part number on the door would ya?

All of my 1.8litre coilpack conversion parts have FINALLY shown up! Cant wait to get it all in the car tonight. Im glad I spent all last night refinishing my valve cover, installing everything wont take long!!!

17190356_10211099995007477_7791926598802420433_n.jpg

i have a cheap ebay header in the garage... though there is a JASMA certified header 4-2-1 in japan that im debating on buying. the MP3 ECU would only come if i picked up a JDM intake cam and Corksport Exhaust cam ;)

got the intake piping painted tonight, still need new couplers and tbolt clamps... think im gonna add blue Samco radiator hoses for a dash of matching color.

17211893_10211118518630556_2932349664800144296_o.jpg

Installed a OEM VW Bora red illuminated cigarette lighter. Looks factory! (cabpatch)

DSC_0438.jpg

Got a OEM Mazda UKDM MX-5 gearknob. Leather, piano black and illuminated red.

Daytime with ignition off.
DSC_0435.jpg

Daytime with ignition on (full brightness).
DSC_0436.jpg

At night (dimmed). The photo below makes the shift pattern look brighter than it actually is. The illumination is just perfect at night! (cool)
DSC_0440.jpg

Gearknob illumination is dimmed when lights on via a DRL control module. The photos above of the gearknob and lighter ring doesn't capture the true red very well. Climate control globes were changed to brighter globes. These will be updated soon with red globes, and those stupid orange condoms will be no more.

Last edited:
Nice! I like the lighter alot, might have to look into it. Install was easy? The knob looks good too.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Nice! I like the lighter alot, might have to look into it. Install was easy? The knob looks good too.

The VW lighter ring required the stock P5 hole to be modified and reshaped to suit the VW Bora lighter. Easy mod if you have the patience. Wired with lights on.

The Mazda MX-5 gearknob on the other hand was a task indeed. Something for the more adventurous type (yes). Stock P5 shift shaft needed to be precisely modified for the gearknob wiring, connector and the 3 grub screws (to stop it spinning around and breaking the wiring). Stock shift boot also needed to be modified. Gearknob is threaded to the stock P5 shift shaft. I had two options (according to Mazda) to begin with for the illumination. Option one was illuminated all the time with ignition on. Option 2 was illuminated at night with lights on. But with both those options the illumination at night was too bright for my liking. So I came up with option 3, which entailed a after market 12v LED DRL control module which I rewired for full brightness with engine on (daytime), and half brightness with lights on (night time). Perfect!! :D

The MX-5 gearknob is weighted too! Shifting is so much smoother and easier. I didn't weight it, but it was fairly heavy compared to the stock P5 leather knob (at a guess I'd say x 5-6). I modified it in a way that can be easily reversed back to stock and all mod's hidden away if I chose to. Well worth the trouble, but it was a one time only job for me. As in..., I won't ever do it again! (crazy)

The VW lighter ring required the stock P5 hole to be modified and reshaped to suit the VW Bora lighter. Easy mod if you have the patience. Wired with lights on.

The Mazda MX-5 gearknob on the other hand was a task indeed. Something for the more adventurous type (yes). Stock P5 shift shaft needed to be precisely modified for the gearknob wiring, connector and the 3 grub screws (to stop it spinning around and breaking the wiring). Stock shift boot also needed to be modified. Gearknob is threaded to the stock P5 shift shaft. I had two options (according to Mazda) to begin with for the illumination. Option one was illuminated all the time with ignition on. Option 2 was illuminated at night with lights on. But with both those options the illumination at night was too bright for my liking. So I came up with option 3, which entailed a after market 12v LED DRL control module which I rewired for full brightness with engine on (daytime), and half brightness with lights on (night time). Perfect!! :D

The MX-5 gearknob is weighted too! Shifting is so much smoother and easier. I didn't weight it, but it was fairly heavy compared to the stock P5 leather knob (at a guess I'd say x 5-6). I modified it in a way that can be easily reversed back to stock and all mod's hidden away if I chose to. Well worth the trouble, but it was a one time only job for me. As in..., I won't ever do it again! (crazy)
Thanks for the info, good stuff.

One of the first things I wondered when I bought my car on the long drive home was whether the lighter ring was supposed to have illumination. It just looked like it should have.

Did my oil change and got new tires finally. I've been slacking on my Pro5😔

Back