What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Replaced my OEM rear shocks with 52k miles on them with a set of newly released KYB mono-tube Gas-a-Just shocks. The OEM still felt good and no leakage but why not upgrade. A definite upgrade too. A very controlled and firm ride. This is what Mazda should have used to begin with.

4f6QgYR.jpg

In August, I put a pair of these Gas-A-Just rear shocks on our 2008 Mazda5, replacing original shocks that had 62000 miles. They work great but this car isn't my daily driver so I haven't driven it enough to really comment on the improvement. I got a great price on these from Rockauto (about $48 each).

In August, I put a pair of these Gas-A-Just rear shocks on our 2008 Mazda5, replacing original shocks that had 62000 miles. They work great but this car isn't my daily driver so I haven't driven it enough to really comment on the improvement. I got a great price on these from Rockauto (about $48 each).

Yup picked up mine from partsgeek.com for $95 for the pair with free shipping and no tax. SCORE!

Replaced my OEM rear shocks with 52k miles on them with a set of newly released KYB mono-tube Gas-a-Just shocks. The OEM still felt good and no leakage but why not upgrade. A definite upgrade too. A very controlled and firm ride. This is what Mazda should have used to begin with.

Maybe the '12s are firmer stock than the earlier ones? I don't think I could handle mine being much stiffer, unless maybe I lived somewhere with perfect streets.

I saw those and am heavily contemplating purchasing them since my reads are about shot. Problem is, they only make the Gas-A-Just for the rears. I wonder how those paired with the GR-2's up front would feel...

I saw those and am heavily contemplating purchasing them since my reads are about shot. Problem is, they only make the Gas-A-Just for the rears. I wonder how those paired with the GR-2's up front would feel...

We'll I only replaced my rears too. The fronts are still the original Mazda ones. I definitively felt the difference in improvement. The front will come next at a later time. I'd say just pull the trigger and buy them.

Not all of it today but I changed my oil, cabin filter, restored operation of the rear AC vents due to me forgetting to plug it back in and had my shattered sunroof replaced.

The cabin filter was FILTHY. Its been in there since 09 but I only have 21K miles. I had no clue it would be that bad but boy am I glad I did it. The amount of leaves inside the box itself was nuts! Anyone that parks under or near trees should replace theirs immediately!!!

The exploding sunroof.....Seems to be a common thing with tempered glass, I was driving along and all of a sudden there was a huge pop. I checked the rearview and was about to yell at the kids when I realized there were no balloons in the car and a faint wisp of white smoke/dust? near the roof. My wife and I looked at each other and then skyward. The sunroof had completely shattered on its own without any warning or apparent reason. Insurance in NY covers it under glass coverage but it still sucked, luckily it didn't fall in on us!

Installed a JL Audio 12" PowerWedge MAX powered subwoofer! I really wanted the 10" but I got this one for a ridiculously low price on ebay. I also installed two way Pioneers in the back. Not louder, but cleaner (in anticipation of more power).

Changed out the cabin filters. They we're absolutely disgusting, I don't think they've ever been changed by the previous owner. Easy enough though, literally a 10 minute job.

095CFF2E-13AF-4890-B66D-3E6D7E2247E9-17197-00000937626235AA_zpse1e7ee19.jpg

15F5B419-AC08-44FB-A02E-69D184744008-17197-000009376B3F57DF_zps1c814a2e.jpg

DSC06551.jpg
This shows the Line out converter that I store in the well with the jack. This unit(LOC 80) is garbage and I would not recommend it. Maybe I just got a faulty one. Nevertheless, I plan to go a slightly different route so I can eliminate the LOC altogether.

DSC06552.jpg
This is a photo of the powerwedge MAX! It sits maybe an inch and a half from the rear door when its closed. I have a fuse there because that is where the original owner cut the wire. I just added a fuse and kept on going. There is also a fuse closer to the battery, and one after the distribution block. Also, for a remote, I tapped into the fuseblock on the side of the glovebox. When I install my 4ch amp, I'll move it to the radio itself, but for now, it works well and is hidden.

Last edited:

4f6QgYR.jpg

I picked up a pair of KYB monotubes for the rear of the Volvo...and a rear swaybar. We didn't have the option of monotube rears on the 06 when I got the KYB rears last year. It sounds like you guys with the facelift don't have the choice of normal hydraulic KYB GR-2 shocks then?
Better springs and better shocks. Sounds like a good problem to have!

Took off the MS3 wheels, put the OEM 16s on, and did a draft run of plastidipping the front end of the 5. Never used plastidip before so it was a learning experience. Think I have a much better handle on it now and will be ready to prep and do it officially this weekend. Going to make a front-end mask out of plastidip since Mazda doesn't make one for the current gen.

I picked up a pair of KYB monotubes for the rear of the Volvo...and a rear swaybar. We didn't have the option of monotube rears on the 06 when I got the KYB rears last year. It sounds like you guys with the facelift don't have the choice of normal hydraulic KYB GR-2 shocks then?
Better springs and better shocks. Sounds like a good problem to have!

Actually we do have the option of the GR-2s...I just specifically wanted the monotube GAJ KYBs. I am sure that 1st genners can also installthese GAJ on your MZ5 too. Yes, better springs, monotube GAJ shocks and MS3 RSB makes it a lot better and awesome MZ5.

Holy gigawatts of bass Batman! How do you keep that monster from drowning out your mids and highs? Orangutan, what color Plastidip are you gonna use? I made a rear bumper cover out of it for mine (in black) I really like how the finish self-levels with the aerosol Plastidip, I can see how someone could go nuts and spray the whole blessed car with it LOL The huge advantage to this approach is that when it gets beat up you can mask and respray in about an hour and it looks as good as new again.

Back