What have you done to your CX-9 today?

20210805_081349.jpg
20210805_111408.jpg

I have had my 2018 cx9 since new and have never waxed it...thats almost 3 and a half years and it just spent April through mid July waiting for a engine repalacement at the dealer....out in the lot. The cx9 has been garaged save the time recently at the dealer....and i did wash it frequently over the years, but this week i gave it the works. I spent a day and a half on it: wash, clay, polish and wax and treated all the black trim which was starting to fade. It really didnt look bad before, but it looks great now and with the new engine running great!

20210804_132828.jpg
20210804_132920.jpg
20210804_133301 (1).jpg

View attachment 301799View attachment 301800

I have had my 2018 cx9 since new and have never waxed it...thats almost 3 and a half years and it just spent April through mid July waiting for a engine repalacement at the dealer....out in the lot. The cx9 has been garaged save the time recently at the dealer....and i did wash it frequently over the years, but this week i gave it the works. I spent a day and a half on it: wash, clay, polish and wax and treated all the black trim which was starting to fade. It really didnt look bad before, but it looks great now and with the new engine running great!

View attachment 301798View attachment 301795View attachment 301805
Looks great! You mind if I ask why the need for an engine replacement? I assume it was covered under warranty.

The dreaded coolant leak issue at (windshield) back side of engine at 68,000 miles. Extended warranty wouldn't cover it, but mazda did a goodwill on it and pulled through. Check out the poll engine coolant leak thread...

I have a 2018 mazda cx9 gt, 68,000 miles. Never had a prob, well maintained, love this car.......went to family up in ohio, 500 mile trip one way. We were up there a week and evening before heading home, i noticed puddle under car and figured it was ac condensate, although i must have sensed puddle was too far to center of vehicle......i dont know why i checked, but it was coolant. I couldnt believe it. Coolant leak was dripping off splashshield under car at oil pan access cover. Checked overflow resevoir and it was really low. Went down to local autozone and purchased fl-22 asian green coolant and topped coolant off to correct levels. I jacked up car and removed access panel. Coolant droplets everywhere around area and i could tell leak was coming from above, back side of engine. Couldnt see up that far with exhaust, turbo, etc. in the way.tight up there! Car never got hot and runs/idles perfect. Oil was changed just before the trip and looked great. Long story short , i drove it home the next day after local dealership wanted 5 days before he could even look at it, even after my vacation trip nightmare story(yes, i will share my story with Mazda and their dealership shotcomings when i get through this mess) Drove it home next morning...70 to 80, even using ac at times, watching the coolant temp and it ran perfectly all the way home. I called dealer that afternoon when we got home and he said to bring it in next morning. I brought it in the next morning and that afternoon they called me and stated it was a cracked head. I have an extended warranty for 8 years, 125,000 miles i originally purchased with the brand new vehicle. Service rep told me Mazda wanted block changed too and was going back and forth with warranty rep. Extended warranty wanted to inspect and 3rd party inspector will have looked at it it by end of Monday so we will see how it goes. I have purchased 4 new mazdas in the last 12 years and am a bit shocked by this problem. Glad i got it home without incident, but has been a painful experience and i hope this ends well. I have been looking at the competition for the cx9 on line all weekend and you know, i just dont see anything out there that checks all the boxes for my needs like the cx9. Monday i should know more and will report....

Sent off an engine oil sample today. 5W-30 Castrol Edge with 5k kms of use. It's a little early as I usually run the oil for at least 7-8k kms, but I wanted to see if I have the same high potassium reading I got from my last UoA/oil change. The car had 58.5k kms at the time of the oil change.

Installed the Corksport Axleback exhaust this weekend. And last week I blacked out the chrome window trim. Only thing left is the roof rack rails...
Looks great! How would you descibe the tone, loudness, performance of the Corksport exhaust? I had a similar design Tanabe exhaust on a 2016 mazda 6 gt....i loved the look, but by a year and a half on the car it was a bit too loud/drone and when i removed it to trade for my current 2018 Mazda cx9 i gained a bunch of power/responsiveness with the stock exhaust back on!
Really interested in the Corksport!

Looks great! How would you descibe the tone, loudness, performance of the Corksport exhaust? I had a similar design Tanabe exhaust on a 2016 mazda 6 gt....i loved the look, but by a year and a half on the car it was a bit too loud/drone and when i removed it to trade for my current 2018 Mazda cx9 i gained a bunch of power/responsiveness with the stock exhaust back on!
Really interested in the Corksport!
The tone is a few steps deeper/lower than factory. It does not get loud or raspy at higher rpms either. Can't say I feel any kind of responsiveness or performance improvement, my butt dyno is old. I tried to upload the before and after vids on here but the files were too big. I'll try again.

Gave it a waterless wash last night. Pic from this morning after getting to work.

CX-9_9-21-21.jpg

Not sure why, but the rear fender gap seems a lot bigger in the pic, which makes the rear wheel look smaller than the front. Maybe its just some weird trick with the angle 🤷‍♂️

Gave it a waterless wash last night. Pic from this morning after getting to work.

View attachment 302921

Not sure why, but the rear fender gap seems a lot bigger in the pic, which makes the rear wheel look smaller than the front. Maybe its just some weird trick with the angle 🤷‍♂️
I don’t think the back looks small. It looks like a normal rake to me. To solve your problem, just keep 500ish pounds in the rear and no more rake!

So this weekend I finished my audio upgrade. And yes I have the bose and it sounds good but I like a little more kick. So a 10" L7...

20210913_221908.jpg

...and this is my lady and i's so she picked the color lights but I can change to whatever I want lol. Sounds pretty good and I used a trailer winch connection so it can come out for trips (third row).

20210913_221926.jpg

So this weekend I finished my audio upgrade. And yes I have the bose and it sounds good but I like a little more kick. So a 10" L7...View attachment 302994and this is my lady and i's so she picked the color lights but I can change to whatever I want lol. Sounds pretty good and I used a trailer winch connection so it can come out for trips (third row)View attachment 302995

Nice, I like that it can be easily removed when necessary!

Ran a quick errand last night and on the way home, all of a sudden the navigation screen went blank.

caution.jpg

When I got home, I ejected the navi CD, re-inserted it, and it started working. To bad, cuz I need an excuse to buy a new head unit, but I'm counting this as a repair! LOL

Hi all! This seems to be a pretty common thread topic on some of the other boards I visit. I did a search and couldn't find anything posted for the CX-9, so I figured I'd create one. Mods, if there is already a similar thread, please feel free to close this one!

Did you just carve out a few corners on the mountain roads or take the CX-9 for a road trip? Install a new cosmetic piece? DIY'd a cabin filter install? Swapped your winter wheels out for your summer set (or vice versa)? Show off your handiwork here with a pic or video! All discussion is welcome, but keep it civil please! Refrain from making comments against a person's character or taste. Hopefully this grows to become a great source of information and inspiration.

I'll start. I just got my CX-9 a week and a half ago and I'm excited to make it "mine" with a few minor cosmetic touches. A CF steering wheel garnish came in the mail a couple of days ago, and today I finally found a bit of time to apply it.

attachment.php

View attachment 218247

attachment.php

View attachment 218248

attachment.php

View attachment 218250

16325976126216589557549820351694.jpg
16325976468753218749891385262872.jpg
16325976794544774564796425832825.jpg

These are the ones I've done on the interior.

Back