What have you done to your CX-9 today?

Looks good, what version did you get? It's been almost a year and I still haven't installed my front plate, but if I get ticketed for that I think I'll go in this direction.

I bought a Rho-plate. They only stock one version (the V2), but it looks like he hasn't updated his site to include the CX-9 yet. I helped him get the measurements, so as far as I know, I have the first one he produced for the CX-9. If you decide to go this route, just send him an email and he'll set you up with the right kit.

I had the V1 Rho-plate (what all of the eBay copies look like) for my IS250 and it was perfect. I'm glad I went with the Rho-plate again because I think that if I went with a cheap eBay one, it would have either been too long or way too short.

I used a disposable 3D paper glasses to make a cutout and try to make the light more night time friendly. I hate how bright it is at night time. This is perfect! I'm trying to think of a more elegant solution. I'm not a huge fan of the red/white combination. I wish Mazda would either have a switch to turn this light off, or that the light would turn off if the other lights came on. Red/Orange is the perfect color for night vision. Hopefully the next gen CX-9 will have mood lighting, but until then...
OqXvMRT.jpg

Thanks. It really blends well with the grey metallic paint. Wish I can tint the front windows dark but its not legal here in California.

My front windows are tinted dark...still lighter than the rear ones, but tinted indeed. I have a machine gray so it's easier to get away vs a white car. Cops in SD don't pull people for that...but I guess they could if they wanted to.

I used a disposable 3D paper glasses to make a cutout and try to make the light more night time friendly. I hate how bright it is at night time. This is perfect! I'm trying to think of a more elegant solution. I'm not a huge fan of the red/white combination. I wish Mazda would either have a switch to turn this light off, or that the light would turn off if the other lights came on. Red/Orange is the perfect color for night vision. Hopefully the next gen CX-9 will have mood lighting, but until then...

What about 5% or 20% window tint? Stop by a random tint shop and see if they have some scraps that you can have, I'm sure they wouldn't mind. Should mute the light output nicely.

I used a disposable 3D paper glasses to make a cutout and try to make the light more night time friendly. I hate how bright it is at night time. This is perfect! I'm trying to think of a more elegant solution. I'm not a huge fan of the red/white combination. I wish Mazda would either have a switch to turn this light off, or that the light would turn off if the other lights came on.

There is a setting, not a switch to turn it off. Go into the infotainment under (Settings) (vehicle) (lighting) (ambient lighting) and select "OFF". I have mine set to DIM, for some reason I received mine set to high from the factory. I suspect yours is the same.

Put on a shift knob cover. The fact that it has a CF pattern is nice, but I usually put covers on my leather shift knobs to prevent wear (I tend to rest my hand there a lot).

attachment.php

IMG_20180914_072054_HHT.jpg

Put on a shift knob cover. The fact that it has a CF pattern is nice, but I usually put covers on my leather shift knobs to prevent wear (I tend to rest my hand there a lot).

attachment.php

View attachment 219704

Looks sweet; and goes great with the wheel trim. I see still no luck in finding something to dress the piano black trim around the shifter...

30mm wheel spacers- before and after.

After spacers I swear the steering feels a bit heavier, which I am happy about. Subtle mod, 30mm, took about 30 mins start to finish but makes a huge difference.
Also - I always use thread locker on the factory threads when adding spacers, never had one come loose (this is the 6th or 7th car I have added spacers to, Im a big fan)

Im a newbie here but if I can figure out how to post photos I will... photos to video

Last edited:
30mm spacer photos before and after

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
After spacers I swear the steering feels a bit heavier, which I am happy about. Subtle mod, 30mm, took about 30 mins start to finish but makes a huge difference.
Also - I always use thread locker on the factory threads when adding spacers, never had one come loose (this is the 6th or 7th car I have added spacers to, Im a big fan)

Im a newbie here but if I can figure out how to post photos I will...

What did I do today? I walked into the garage just in time to watch my wife back her CX-5 into my CX-9. Both cars now have damaged quarters and a damaged bumper. I*m trying sooo hard to remain calm...

You're not alone! My daughter, while in her CX-5, rear ended my wife in her CX-9!!!!!!!
Thankfully there was very minor damage. Daughter's car got scuffed a little, and wife's car just needed a refinish on the rear bumper.

30mm spacers front and rear

Which brand spacer did you go with?

I grabbed these off of Amazon, they are hub centric to fit our cars, fit perfectly, and had good finish to them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

video of install

Product description

*Spacer Width: 30mm each side
*Quantity: 4 Pieces
*Bolt Pattern: 5X114.3 to 5X114.3 (Equivalent to 5x4.5" Inch)
*Center Bore: 67.1mm
*Thread Pitch: 12X1.5
*Spacer Type: Hub Centric w/ Hub Lip
*This spacer set includes open end lug nuts to secure the spacers onto your factory hubs

Last edited:
I bought a Rho-plate. T<snip>
Thanks, yeah this plate looks nicer than the knock-offs. I know you can't really see it once installed, but still...

You're not alone! My daughter, while in her CX-5, rear ended my wife in her CX-9!!!!!!!
Thankfully there was very minor damage. Daughter's car got scuffed a little, and wife's car just needed a refinish on the rear bumper.
Oh man...:( I can so see my wife and daughter doing that (in like 12 years, but yeah). My condolences. Which reminds me I need to get the bumper fixed on the 9.

Thanks, yeah this plate looks nicer than the knock-offs. I know you can't really see it once installed, but still...

One thing to note is that if you've got the front parking sensors, the plate mount can trip the sensor that's right beside it. I have it mounted as far away from the sensor as possible, but I have to tilt the plate just a tiny bit to make sure it isn't in the sensor's "cone of vision". I considered this when shopping for a solution and the Rho-plate seemed to be the only tow-hook mounted product that provided the least risk of this happening.

Back