What have you done to your CX-9 today?

Lost the fog lights a few months ago; turned out to be a bad relay.

Fog_Lights_065.jpg

Fog_Lights_073.jpg

Back to looking cool. :)

LED_Lighting_146.jpg

Attachments

• Fog_Lights_065.jpg
    Fog_Lights_065.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 77
I bought another member's JB4 yesterday :) They had it on their CX-5 but it should fit the CX-9 as well.
Dang. Let us know how you like it. Been debating getting one. Mine is racking up miles a lot faster now so unsure if it would be worth it though

I should be getting it in the mail sometime this week. Then I'll just have to wait for warmer weather to install :)

Supposed to be delivered yesterday, but I bet the postal worker didn't even knock on the door. Oh well, I have to pay customs fees anyway. Will be picking it up at the post office today.

Photo dump of a couple things I did. Disregard the reflector on the rear bumper above the factory reflector, I was trying to see what it would look like if the black areas above and below the factory reflector were also red. Took them off though, too much red for me. Went from black to red center caps, installed bigger exhaust tips, they’re just slip ons with an ID of 3”. LaminX overlays for the fogs. 2” hitch that’s rated for 4500 Lbs but unfortubately the CX-9 can’t do that. 30mm H&R spacers in the rear and 25mm up front. I hate that tucked look. Some weird branded in channel window deflectors, I think they were called peterberg or something like that. I wanted in channels and there wasn’t really any options from the big names.

Question about that rear reflector though, has anyone modified them to have lights? Kind of like a rear fog light or JDM style? I’d like to do something but not sure yet on how to go about it.

4BA8B1A9-ACC6-4869-8BD8-98FFEB573DCD.png
AF20F578-4B6E-45FB-BE4E-94CEDE086B50.png
2E9A61EE-50CA-4635-B7CE-BAF32B08A3F5.jpeg
F5DB5069-607B-4EBE-80A2-5AFE8B759D5B.jpeg
9EB0B90B-6CD6-429F-8D2B-B924B6D20CC1.jpeg
936CDCBE-F9CE-4F0A-9B88-A89E16657040.jpeg
09FE6973-D264-49CF-8CA7-39B128999214.jpeg

^^ Nice, I have the same window visors (Fresh Air Peterburg, I think). I need to get around to posting them on the forums, not having much luck selling them locally. The red center caps are a nice touch, reminds me of the 100th Anniversary Edition.

Question about that rear reflector though, has anyone modified them to have lights? Kind of like a rear fog light or JDM style? I’d like to do something but not sure yet on how to go about it.
I posted in another thread, but there is a small hole behind the reflectors that could potentially accommodate something like a Diode Dynamics SSC1. No off the shelf options that I could find. I am planning on doing the rear fogs relatively soon, just need to get some house projects done

^^ Nice, I have the same window visors (Fresh Air Peterburg, I think). I need to get around to posting them on the forums, not having much luck selling them locally. The red center caps are a nice touch, reminds me of the 100th Anniversary Edition.
Why are you trying to sell them? Did you want to try a different route? Fortunately for me and the red center caps, I painted them before the 100 anniversary came out, and when it did I was surprised that it was red. So I guess it all worked out because now it doesn’t look too much out of place but only people like us would know stuff like that. Haha.

I posted in another thread, but there is a small hole behind the reflectors that could potentially accommodate something like a Diode Dynamics SSC1. No off the shelf options that I could find. I am planning on doing the rear fogs relatively soon, just need to get some house projects done
Oh okay. I’ll have to look into that thank you! I sucks because the CX-5 has such a big after market and so does the CX-8. We don’t have that in the US. I mean, I know the CX-9 isn’t typically a car someone modifies but if the CX-5 and CX-8 have an aftermarket, so should the CX-9. But thats just me ranting and being jealous. Lol. So how are you going about doing the rear fogs, are you going with those Diode Dynamics SSC1? But if you do wouldn’t you have to completely remove the reflector and make a hole in the bumper for that pod?

Last edited:
Oh okay. I’ll have to look into that thank you! I sucks because the CX-5 has such a big after market and so does the CX-8. We don’t have that in the US. I mean, I know the CX-9 isn’t typically a car someone modifies but if the CX-5 and CX-8 have an aftermarket, so should the CX-9. But thats just me ranting and being jealous. Lol. So how are you going about doing the rear fogs, are you going with those Diode Dynamics SSC1?
My other vehicle is a 4Runner so the modification itch can be scratched on that pretty easily. Not having a huge aftermarket scene is difficult but I also like having to custom make everything. My plan is to purchase some DD SSC1s for the rear as I did for the front. Unsure if I’ll go with SAE fogs or not. Haven’t found much online regarding laws on rear fog lights.

As for the current reflectors, I plan on using a dremel/die grinder to remove the back plastic and leave the front red plastic. Theoretically it will look the same when the lights are off and should shine through when the lights are on. If that doesn’t work, I’ll end up punching a hole all the way through the reflector and wrapping part of the reflector in black vinyl while leaving some of the reflector to do its job.

Why are you trying to sell them? Did you want to try a different route? Fortunately for me and the red center caps, I painted them before the 100 anniversary came out, and when it did I was surprised that it was red. So I guess it all worked out because now it doesn’t look too much out of place but only people like us would know stuff like that. Haha.

No real reason, they are great window visors! I took them off to polish up the plastic as there was some really minor scratches. Never did get around to re-installing them, and I found that I didn't really find myself using them often, if at all (i.e. cracking the windows open in the rain). I went nearly 2 years without them, so I figured I'd sell them so someone else could make use of them.

Weather was only -10c yesterday, so I figured I'd change the spark plugs. Turns out I don't have the required spark plug socket (9/16) so I had to put that on hold for now. Then I decided I would try and prep a bit for the JB4 install. I mocked everything up, but when it came to trying to access the sensor mounted on the intercooler, I hit a wall. Couldn't pop off the plastic piece that covers the area near the passenger side of the intercooler, and I didn't want to remove the front bumper. I also tried removing the undershield on the passenger side in front of the wheel well to see if I could access it from there, but I broke 3 of the plastic fasteners (lol), and loosening one of the screws was much harder than it should have been, maybe due to ice build up.

It might be too cold to work on the car.. Will have to postpone for now. But I did figure out a mounting position for the JB4 that results in a slightly cleaner look.

No real reason, they are great window visors! I took them off to polish up the plastic as there was some really minor scratches. Never did get around to re-installing them, and I found that I didn't really find myself using them often, if at all (i.e. cracking the windows open in the rain). I went nearly 2 years without them, so I figured I'd sell them so someone else could make use of them.
I see. That makes sense. It actually looks really clean without them on anyway. Plus I noticed with them on I hear slight wind noise.

Shared this topic on another thread but seems like there’s more traffic here. The CX-9s stock battery size is a group 35. I was able to fit a group 24F with no issues at all. Surprisingly it was cheaper than the 35. I Installed it last month and no issues. One minor modification to the battery tray though. You have to dremel or snip out some small plastic tabs at the forward location of the battery tray. Then it’s basically a perfect fit. Just wanted to share just in case someone was curious or wanted to do that also. Battery’s length is the only difference between the 35 and 24F. Height and width are the same.

3A047D2B-13B3-436F-A5DC-19BF31C4C601.jpeg

Finally broke down and got some LED's for the high beams; the last of the incandescent bulbs (except for the shift indicator).

Note: when doing this, the DRL's will be on at full power, so not good. I have a DRL bypass, so I'm all good.

Headlights_083.jpg

Headlights_085.jpeg

Headlights_086.jpg

Piaa Xtreme White halogen and the Morimoto XB HID's:
Headlights_090.jpg

Brightsource LED's and the Mormimoto XB HID's:
Headlights_098.jpg

Headlights_114.jpg

Headlights_119.jpg

Now to stay up late and go for a night time drive to see how they perform.

Last edited:
I bought another member's JB4 yesterday :) They had it on their CX-5 but it should fit the CX-9 as well.
Can you confirm if this is accurate? I noted on Mazda 2.5T jb4 page they didn't list the CX9 as a model. Yet I think they use a 2019 CX9 for one of the dyno results - I wonder why that is?

Connections are all accurate, only thing I need to verify is that the cable lengths are sufficient. But from a quick mock up, I think it'll be fine.

The product page doesn't specify the CX-9, or the CX-5. It states: 2021+ Mazda3 (V2), 2017+ Mazda6 (V1), 2017+ Mazda CX (V1), and 2021+ Mazda CX-30 (V2).

Few things about the above: The Mazda6 was only available with a turbo starting in 2018 MYs, not 2017. For the CX models, the CX-9 has had the turbo since 2016, while the CX-5 got it in 2019. Aside from that, the "V1" and "V2" designate different versions of the wiring harness used. The V1 models require a longer cable due to the location of one of the sensors being on the passenger side of the intercooler. For the V2 versions, the wiring harness is different as the connector is more easily accessible. Essentially, the "2017+ CX (V1)" version will work with the CX-9 and CX-5, as long as they have the turbo engine.

The product page doesn't specify the CX-9, or the CX-5. It states: 2021+ Mazda3 (V2), 2017+ Mazda6 (V1), 2017+ Mazda CX (V1), and 2021+ Mazda CX-30 (V2).
I thought the same thing and was typing a response that was similar. Unfortunately, we are both incorrect. Further down the page, they do state which vehicles it works in, and the CX-9 isn’t listed. I think this is an oversight by the team than manages the webpage since we have seen a CX-9 on a dyno and your own product in hand seems to fit

8B514280-6DD5-4AEB-A269-BDE101DBC7B3.jpeg

Back