What have you done to your CX-5 today?

⋯ I’m hoping they don’t give me trouble about using dealership body shop. I don’t expect any issues, but, will prepare for them just in case.
And insisting OEM doors and body panels (if any) ⋯

Ouch. Sorry to see that. How fast could she have been going to do that much damage?? Sheesh..
It was just a perfect storm. As I was backing into the adjacent spot to her car (she had no car next to her on her passenger side). She decided to pull out fast and wide. I even had time to lay on the horn, but that didn’t get her attention either.

Of course, I will push for OEM everything. My car is a 2019 and just hit 10k miles. Garage kept and not a scratch on it (as of 2 days ago, I guess).

She was young, extremely apologetic and admitted fault. Other than that, what can you do.

My daughter wants red doors. I got a kick out of that request.

Nothing dramatic here, just a couple of spring cleaning notes.

1) An interesting note on cleaning my front Weather Techs:.

These are black mats with about 4.000 miles on them through one winter, scrubbed 3 times with soap and water and a plastic scrub brush, then a 4th. time with a little steel bristle golf club brush. Each time lots of brown, ground in crud revealed itself as the mats dried that was not visible when wet, on both flat surfaces and in nooks and crannies. I was cursing Weather Tech, "never again" I said.

As a last shot, I had a microfiber damp with Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant, the kind with the "Clean & Shine" flag on the label, left over from doing the interior. That brown crud came right off without much elbow grease and brown showed up on the microfiber. Back to black! After 3 days of drying, still black as new. I'm a little amazed.

2) Salt on carpets

Kudos to Mazda. The salt around areas not covered by the mats, like around and behind the gas pedal, came right off with a damp mesh sponge with no elbow grease. That's black carpet. I wish I could say the same about my 2014 Sienna's beige carpets even when new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate. Just because someone makes a mistake that makes your life a bit more difficult? Wow….
I get the point but words have meanings and we all tend to be a little too loose with them these days--partisan politics, Covid.

Anyway, a thousand bucks per door all-in OEM would be my guess. You d*mn well better get OEM on a 2019 with 10k miles. I wouldn't just let that lie if the insurance company came back with aftermarket. I would also suggest a Mazda dealer's body shop--either their own (which would be uncommon) or the shop they use for their own body work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent most of yesterday on my CX.

Detailed the interior, wiped it ALL down with a damp rag then used 303.

Vacuumed and then washed the floor liners.

Washed and waxed the exterior.

She's beautiful again.

Got estimate today. Just under $4,500 (two doors, paint, lower molding, rear quarter panel glass, etc). Apparently, Mazda has a bunch of "single use" items (i.e. cannot remove and re-install on/in new doors) and that glass panel (just behind passenger window) is one of them.

Just waiting for approval from their insurance company. Despite this being a bad blow, their insurance has actually been a pleasure working with. Not sure if the other driver feels the same way as they are at fault.

Got estimate today. Just under $4,500 (two doors, paint, lower molding, rear quarter panel glass, etc). Apparently, Mazda has a bunch of "single use" items (i.e. cannot remove and re-install on/in new doors) and that glass panel (just behind passenger window) is one of them.

Just waiting for approval from their insurance company. Despite this being a bad blow, their insurance has actually been a pleasure working with. Not sure if the other driver feels the same way as they are at fault.
$4,500 is about right with all OEM body parts and dealer’s labor cost. I believe this’s the best you can do by going through a Mszda dealer’s body shop and it should get the best result you can expect for the repair. The entire work may take a full month to finish, and that should be covered by the insurance with a rental car too.

Installed the LASFIT 7443 turn signal bulbs in the tail lights of our 2014 last night, to compliment the 1157 front bulbs I installed last week. Now we have SUPER BRIGHT turn signals all around, with no need for any separate resistor units.

I also discovered that nearly all the rear-facing bulb sockets have T-tap connectors coming off 1 or more wires on each bulb. The turn signal bulbs each have 1, and the brake/tail light bulbs each have 2. I assume they're all tapping off the power wires. What the heck could that be for? I haven't had time to dig in behind the plastic cargo area trim. I only pulled the access covers off to change the turn signal bulbs and happened to see them. Apparently those wires have been in there since before we got the car in 2016.

Installed the LASFIT 7443 turn signal bulbs in the tail lights of our 2014 last night, to compliment the 1157 front bulbs I installed last week. Now we have SUPER BRIGHT turn signals all around, with no need for any separate resistor units.

I also discovered that nearly all the rear-facing bulb sockets have T-tap connectors coming off 1 or more wires on each bulb. The turn signal bulbs each have 1, and the brake/tail light bulbs each have 2. I assume they're all tapping off the power wires. What the heck could that be for? I haven't had time to dig in behind the plastic cargo area trim. I only pulled the access covers off to change the turn signal bulbs and happened to see them. Apparently those wires have been in there since before we got the car in 2016.
The bulb specs in CX-5‘s owner’s manual is wrong for rear turn signals. It says WY21W (7443NA) but it should be single-filament 7440NA as 7443 is a dual-filament bulb、and NA is “natural amber”. So I’m not sure how the LASFIT 7443 can fit into a single-filament bulb socket?

For your 2014 CX-5 it has 1157NA but for 2016 and newer CX-5’s they have 7444NA on front turn signals. Since both front turn signals use dual-filament bulbs and do you use “switch-back” LEDs? (white / amber, and amber-bright / off and amber-bright / off during turn signal mode). What kind of front turn-signal LEDs do you have?

I believe the T-tap connectors you found are for trailer lightings.

Also looks like you’re getting white LEDs instead of amber for turn signals?

Former owner could have installed resistors, used a 3rd party light (I am using t-taps for my bumper lights, in place of OEM reflectors) or had a trailer hitch installed.

The bulb specs in CX-5‘s owner’s manual is wrong for rear turn signals. It says WY21W (7443NA) but it should be single-filament 7440NA as 7443 is a dual-filament bulb、and NA is “natural amber”. So I’m not sure how the LASFIT 7443 can fit into a single-filament bulb socket?

For your 2014 CX-5 it has 1157NA but for 2016 and newer CX-5’s they have 7444NA on front turn signals. Since both front turn signals use dual-filament bulbs and do you use “switch-back” LEDs? (white / amber, and amber-bright / off and amber-bright / off during turn signal mode). What kind of front turn-signal LEDs do you have?

I believe the T-tap connectors you found are for trailer lightings.
My bad they are the LASFIT 7440 bulbs. Everything amber. 1157 up front.

my car does have a trailer hitch receiver with trailer light connector so that solves that. Thanks all!

In the process of adding a trailer hitch, just taking a break and waiting for a 2nd pair of hands to help lift the hitch into place now.

In the process of adding a trailer hitch, just taking a break and waiting for a 2nd pair of hands to help lift the hitch into place now.
Any cuts on your hands yet? I got cut on the edge of the heat shield when I did this myself.

Back