What Handling mods should I get? [Specifics Please]

Nascop5

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I'm looking at starting the Handling Modifications for my car, I've been told since being on this forum that if I spend the same amount of money as I would to make power, I should just get handling mods instead, and I would probably be one of the fastest cars on the road. What are those Mods? Like specific parts, I know I would need Coilovers, struts, and sway bars, what else would I need? and can you name some very specific parts? Brand and model name and such? Any response is appreciated.

Good tires (some super sticky Direzza Star Specs, for example), and refreshing the suspension with new bushings and end links and ensuring your struts are up to snuff should be more than enough for fun daily driver. You could look into a larger rear anti-roll bar, but you'll need a few other supporting modifications to go that route to do it right.

What is your purpose for the modifications? Daily driver, frequent autocross/track, or all out race car?

Regardless of what you do, I wouldn't hold your breath about being "the fastest car on the road" by any stretch, but you'll definitely have fun.

I was looking for Some Direza Dz101's when I was getting my tires changed a few months ago but alas, they don't make them in my size anymore, I was planning on waiting until I buy new Rims to buy New tires, the new rims I am getting fit to the Tire size 215/45R18 stock from Mazda, http://image.modified.com/f/17357323+w750+st0/0610sccp_16z+2007_mazdaspeed_3+wheel_view.jpg However the Direza Star Specs you listed don't fit on either the rims on my car now, or the rims I plan on getting. The purpose of this car is mostly to be daily driven, with the ability to go apeshit insane on the track, but I don't mind the car being jarring or extremely stiff while I'm not on the track. I was thinking of getting Front and Rear struts replace off of the MSP, getting a tower strut bar to put under the hood, and a fat ass rear anti-roll bar. What are the supporting mods I would need to do that correctly? Also do you have a recommendation for coil-overs? I was thinking racing beat, or Megan Racing but I have yet to see anything cheaper than a Grand. Is that how much I should be expecting to pay for coilovers? My intention isn't to go cheap but rather not to get ripped off.

You can find Yellow Speed coilovers for about 900, I've heard pretty good things about them.. that's what I'm planning on upgrading to post winter.
Otherwise the BC Racing are well liked and those are about 1000.

Last edited:
I'm having a ton of trouble finding the two sets of coil-overs you listed, have good things been said about the D2 RS coilovers, the Ksport Coilovers, or the Megan Racing coilovers?

I bought the Yellowspeeds from CR3 for $875 and they work great. For Rear sway bar, Racing Beat and Progress are the most popular, though you'll need the MSP rear subframe for the RB for a proper install (diff mounting pts vs the stock P5 bar), not sure about Progress. Heard of a lot of members using Ford Escape/Moog end links, or adjustables. I have a full set of AWR adjustable links if you're interested. If you plan on frequent track driving, get a strut brace. Most readily available would be GTSpec, but if you're lucky you can occasionally find Carbing and Autoexe bars for sale (used). GTSpec also has a trunk brace system for the Protgs.

Latest posts

Back