What did you trade-in for your '17 or '18?

I just got my CX-5 on Monday. Traded in a 2008 Volkswagen R32 with 45,000 miles on it for $16,000. I honestly believe they made a mistake on the trade in value of the car, which is why I didn't even bother trying to match at other dealerships.

I had a 2014 mazda3 sGT hatchback and traded in for the cx5. I wasn't planning on trading in so soon and had finally made it look the way I wanted but family issues required for a taller bigger vehicle so I chose the cx5 and no regrets. Ride is smoother and much more quieter than the mz3. I do miss it sometimes especially since I had spent so much time and money on piecing the kit together. After sitting up high I don't think I'll want a regular car anymore haha

Totally serious. I had no idea I would love it so much.

HUD was main reason I went with the GT+Premium. I had it years ago in a 2000 Corvette and have missed it ever since. But that one only had the speed. Nothing else and couldn't be adjusted in any way (height, brightness). And it looked like it was right on the surface of the windshield. The Mazda version is soooo much better. I hope I never have to get a car without it again.

Were you the original owner?

I’ve had BMWs for over a decade. Not a single issue. I didn’t skimp on maintenance and even changed the oil more often than recommended.

Yes. I was the one and only owner. All services at BMW. The first time they changed the spaŕk plugs and coils was during the first service. Blamed it on my safe driving technique " not aggressive enough and low milage". Idiots ! By that logic all their cars in the show room must be rusting away since they are not driven at all. Later did I realise that there was a recall on that model and all the spark plugs and coils were changed on that model by BMW. A few years later engine lights came on and the spark plugs, coils and injector changed in one cylinder. A week later engine light csme on intermittent, pointing to other cylinders. This time I had enough it was getting too expensive for me. I changed the three remaining coils by myself. The engine lights went off. Noticed that older coils had burnt marks on the side. I posted the pictures on BMW forum. This picture was confirmed by other owners with similar problem. It was eating up coils every few thousand kilometres anď BMW was confused. BMW was changing the whole set of spark plugs, coils and injector and we were paying for their bad design. I got rid of the car and bought a Mazda cx5. I have had Toyota before and never had any serious problem. Ever wondered why BMW second hand value is so low at least in Europe? Every buyer knows that BMW has quality problem and used BMW is a potential problem.

Last edited:
Yes. I was the one and only owner. All services at BMW. The first time they changed the spaŕk plugs and coils was during the first service. Blamed it on my safe driving technique " not aggressive enough and low milage". Idiots ! By that logic all their cars in the show room must be rusting away since they are not driven at all. Later did I realise that there was a recall on that model and all the spark plugs and coils were changed on that model by BMW. A few years later engine lights came on and the spark plugs, coils and injector changed in one cylinder. A week later engine light csme on intermittent, pointing to other cylinders. This time I had enough it was getting too expensive for me. I changed the three remaining coils by myself. The engine lights went off. Noticed that older coils had burnt marks on the side. I posted the pictures on BMW forum. This picture was confirmed by other owners with similar problem. It was eating up coils every few thousand kilometres anď BMW was confused. BMW was changing the whole set of spark plugs, coils and injector and we were paying for their bad design. I got rid of the car and bought a Mazda cx5. I have had Toyota before and never had any serious problem. Ever wondered why BMW second hand value is so low at least in Europe? Every buyer knows that BMW has quality problem and used BMW is a potential problem.

I have also had problems with a BMW. 325i. Only owner. After a couple of years it started losing antifreeze. But nothing under the car so not a traditional leaky hose. A little at first but kept getting worse. Took it in 3 times. They kept telling me nothing was wrong. When it got to a pint a week and I was closing in on the end of my bumper to bumper I started to worry that they were stalling to me until I was out of warranty so I would have to pay for a major repair like a leaky head gasket. So I traded it in for an Infiniti which was rock solid.

About 2 months later, the BMW dealer who had bought the car wholesale from Infinity called me up and wanted to know why the car was leaking antifreeze. I didn't know whether to laugh at him or scream at him.

I traded my 2014 CX5 touring awd for a loaded 2017 GT leftover.
The '14 was a good, reliable car but it's astounding how much quieter the new car is, not to mention all the safety 'goodies'

I've owned a 2001 BMW 530i Sport (E39) since 2003, haven't had any major problem all these years....and still love it! Unfortunately it has to sit outside because the garage keeps the Mazda and my classic C10 pickup.

2006 Subaru Wrx Sti.

Still miss that car a lot. Mostly the power (was aroung 400hp) .Would have kept it, but too many problems.

What pissed me off when shopping around is how ridiculously underpowered are todays small suvs. Even the forester Xt is slow as hell.

I traded in my 2010 Lexus RX 350 AWD - 90K miles. No real problems with it, but I don't miss it. My CX-5 is a better car. Got the GT AWD with Prem package.

I had a leased 2015 CX-5 GT w/Tech. Prior to that, a '91 Mazda B-2600i Cab Plus I bought new. Paid cash so had only 1 car payment in 24 years. Pretty incredible how technology has progressed in almost a quarter century. Had about 190K miles on the B-2600i. My son had been using it for college but 17 years of midwest winter (I bought it in the Seattle/Tacoma area) took its toll via rust.

Even going from the '15 to the '17 CX-5 GT the new model is much quieter. Love the HUD and Smart Cruise. Only 5400 miles after 11 months in service.

Traded a 2014 Jeep Cherokee (bought new, traded 8 months later), for a 2016 CX-5 GT. The Cherokee had so many issues, I felt like I had a 10 yr old car! I am so tempted to test drive the 2018, but I really don't want car payments again.

Traded a 2014 Jeep Cherokee (bought new, traded 8 months later), for a 2016 CX-5 GT. The Cherokee had so many issues, I felt like I had a 10 yr old car! I am so tempted to test drive the 2018, but I really don't want car payments again.

My grandparents took me for a ride in their 2001 Toyota Avalon. 376K miles on it. Original engine/transmission. Oil. Tires. Belts. Brakes.Shocks/struts. The car ran and seemed just fine. It taught me a lesson and gave me a glimpse as to part of why they are what I consider affluent (able to drop 6 figures on a whim...if they wanted). They are practical and sensible. There is something in that. The car works fine. There will always be nicer cars. Deal with it.

Traded in a 2014 BMW 228 with MSport package, manual trans, sunroof delete for my 2016 CX-t

Back