What did you pay for your CX-5?

Is it harder to negotiate on a Machine Gray Metallic AWD Touring or Touring with Preferred?

The dealerships I’ve been in contact with don’t seem to be interested in negotiating (in SoCal). Is it just because there are fewer CX-5s in Gray?

MSRP: $31,580
Price before TTL: $30,600 and $30,590 for CX-5 Touring with Preferred
Don’t think color matters. Try Mazda Orange, they have 2 you wanted in stock without PP. sometimes you need to tell them you have an offer from others and they will match.

Just purchased a 2021 CX-5 Touring AWD with Preferred Package.
The dealer I purchased my Mazda3 from in 2017 gave me a weak offer that also had a $399 bs fee for security guard.

I researched online and emailed 2 dealers in my area with the most new CX-5 inventory. One dealer offered $1980 off MSRP right away and no add-ons. I came in to test drive and we made the deal the next day.

I was prepared to negotiate but I was caught off guard with their honest online quote, no add-ons. They threw in 3-year oil changes for free and I asked for all weather mats haha. They had 100 CX-5 on the lot but they will go quickly and I heard one salesperson doing dealer trades all the time - other dealers with less inventory are buying from them too.

I could have done better by another $200-300 but did not feel up for it. I admit I could have felt much better fighting for the same discount with another dealer but I got good pricing for granted and decided to take it.

$31,130 MSRP
$28,400 net price after $1980 discount and $750 loyalty rebate
3-year oil changes for free which is worth another $600
Dealer fee was only $150

The dealer I purchased my Mazda3 from in 2017 gave me a weak offer that also had a $399 bs fee for security guard.

I researched online and emailed 2 dealers in my area with the most new CX-5 inventory. One dealer offered $1980 off MSRP right away and no add-ons. I came in to test drive and we made the deal the next day.

I was prepared to negotiate but I was caught off guard with their honest online quote, no add-ons. They threw in 3-year oil changes for free and I asked for all weather mats haha. They had 100 CX-5 on the lot but they will go quickly and I heard one salesperson doing dealer trades all the time - other dealers with less inventory are buying from them too.

I could have done better by another $200-300 but did not feel up for it. I admit I could have felt much better fighting for the same discount with another dealer but I got good pricing for granted and decided to take it.

$31,130 MSRP
Dealer fee was only $150
Rofattakhov - I think you did a good job in getting a good price on your CX-5.

$31,130 MSRP
Dealer fee was only $150
Congrats on the new CX-5. I asked my local dealer for it but they only offered one…

Congrats on the new CX-5. I asked my local dealer for it but they only offered one…
My dealer offered 3 free oil changes, but the dealership is 100 miles away, so I guess that’s $300 I won’t be taking advantage of. However, at $100/oil change and tire rotation, it might be worth it to spend 3/4 of a day and drive there to get my free oil changes. I’d burn about 7 gallons of gas ($21) + lunch for two ($25-$30) + wear and tear on the car and my time that’s worth nothing.

Bought a CX-5 Signature in red on Monday. Used Costco auto buying program. Honestly, I was very underwhelmed by their offer. Car came with roof rails and exterior paint as the only options. No other added dealer junk.

MSRP: $39,675 all in
Costco discount: $1,609

I had a trade in and financed the minimum amount possible which was $10k. This allowed me to get an extra $1k off from Mazda.

Final price was $37,066 plus title, registration etc. Plan is to pay off the loan on the first payment.
So 6.5% off MSRP. This was the only red Signature in a 100 miles radius.

$31,130 MSRP
Dealer fee was only $150
I forgot to mention that I was allowed to pay my downpayment with a credit card. I put down $10K and going to make another $150 in cash back.

I've never seen any car dealership willing to take a credit card for a large downpayment. I asked them twice and they confirmed I could do this, and I did.

Bought a CX-5 Signature in red on Monday. Used Costco auto buying program. Honestly, I was very underwhelmed by their offer. Car came with roof rails and exterior paint as the only options. No other added dealer junk.

MSRP: $39,675 all in
Costco discount: $1,609

I had a trade in and financed the minimum amount possible which was $10k. This allowed me to get an extra $1k off from Mazda.

Final price was $37,066 plus title, registration etc. Plan is to pay off the loan on the first payment.
So 6.5% off MSRP. This was the only red Signature in a 100 miles radius.
Congrats! They knew there was no second car like that within 100 miles, so I believe their quote was fair. Enjoy!

Without regard to your specific deal, I generally found the Costco program to be only a starting point to bring to other dealers. But there are many, like my neighbor, that blindly take the Costco offer and say "hey, cool, this great dealer is giving me $XXXX off MSRP" with no further research

Without regard to your specific deal, I generally found the Costco program to be only a starting point to bring to other dealers. But there are many, like my neighbor, that blindly take the Costco offer and say "hey, cool, this great dealer is giving me $XXXX off MSRP" with no further research
I heard of 'hard no' stories about negotiating Costco pricing. Not a dollar less. From dealers perspective, them giving a Costco pricing (especially without add-ons and junk fees) is a good offer that brings customers to good pricing right away. Some customers successfully negotiate a Costco pricing but I really doubt it can be done every day, at every dealer on any car.

Mazda is obsessed with new purchase experience and it penalizes $$$ dealers for bad survey responses from customers who purchased new. If one tries too hard at negotiations, the dealership may want to remove this risk and simply refuse a sale by not honoring "another 300 bucks less" to play it safe.

Not promoting anything, just saying.

Yeah this was a bit of a learning experience for me as I had never used the Costco program before. My other cars didn’t qualify for it. Apparently the price reduction is dependent on a few variables including availability in the area. But $1609 dollars off on an almost $40k car seems like quite the joke. I have bought many BMWs and other luxury cars before and usually manage to negotiate in the 10% off MSRP range. This car is for my wife and she loved it and wanted to get rid of her CR-V that needed new tires etc etc. So yeah I overpaid, but you know the saying. Happy wife happy life and she is beyond thrilled with the new car :)

If this would have been my car I would have broadened the search radius. Heck my last car came from a dealer 2000 miles away.

Last edited:
With the current inventory situation, I think you all will be seeing much smaller dealer discounts (if any, on some models) starting this month

I heard of 'hard no' stories about negotiating Costco pricing. Not a dollar less. From dealers perspective, them giving a Costco pricing (especially without add-ons and junk fees) is a good offer that brings customers to good pricing right away. Some customers successfully negotiate a Costco pricing but I really doubt it can be done every day, at every dealer on any car.
That was my experience, the "hard no" trying to get the Costco dealer to budge off the Costco price. I did substantially better & submitted my final offer which I bought my vehicle for from another dealer. I actually never even heard back from the Costco dealer when I made my lower offer.

That was my experience, the "hard no" trying to get the Costco dealer to budge off the Costco price. I did substantially better & submitted my final offer which I bought my vehicle for from another dealer.
That's what I meant earlier - not negotiating with the Coscto dealer, but going to a non-Costco dealer with your Costco price. Also, this lets the dealer know that you're ready to buy

I cannot speak of the purchase price as our's was a lease, not a purchase but our dealer gave us a great deal, as far as I know. I had previously owned a 2014 CX-5 GT and thought I'd keep it for at least 8-10 years until my wife and I switched over to a leased 2018 CX5/GT in Oct. 2018 which was a 48-month lease. Loving my CX-5 and thinking I'd go the full 48 months; we were surprised when about 2 weeks ago, the Mazda people called us about coming to their special "VIP" event to view the latest models. Apparently, with the pandemic, they have very few quality used vehicles on their lot and are trying to entice clients into switching up. We decided to attend but were sure we wouldn't budge due to the very low mileage (barely 21000 kms!) on our existing Mazda and decided the only way we've trade-in would be for something as good or better and at a lower price. Well darn it if the Mazda people did not give us a hard to refuse deal on a fully loaded 2021 CX-5 GT with every accessory we presently have in our 2018, plus a couple of extra, plus at a lower monthly price than what we're paying now. So in about 8-10 days, we'll be picking up our brand new, loaded 2021 CX-5 GT.

I spoke at length with one of their Reps about my urge to switch to one of their "Turbo" models. The fellow was very forthcoming and explained that unless I was prepared to pay for 93 octane on a full-time basis. the turbos are not worth the extra money. Mazda does agree that the cars will run on 87 octanes, naturally producing less hp but in the long run, you might run into premature fouling and turbo issues with the cheaper gas.

We did take a test drive in a new CX-30 as we 1st thought of downsizing a bit as we are empty nesters now. The CX-30 is a nice vehicle and pulls well with the 2.5L motor but overall, is a noticeable step down from the CX-5 in many areas.

I spoke at length with one of their Reps about my urge to switch to one of their "Turbo" models. The fellow was very forthcoming and explained that unless I was prepared to pay for 93 octane on a full-time basis. the turbos are not worth the extra money. Mazda does agree that the cars will run on 87 octanes, naturally producing less hp but in the long run, you might run into premature fouling and turbo issues with the cheaper gas.

Absolutely false. I have no idea why a sales rep would try to dissuade you from spending more money.

Some would argue that the turbo isn't worth the extra money based on the HP/TQ increases or because of the added potential risk of one more thing that could break. These are valid arguments depending on the person buying - but you are leasing. You would be under the factory powertrain warranty during the lease, so in the event that the engine/turbo does have issues, you wouldn't be the one paying for the repairs.

Mainly though, the statement that running 87 would lead to premature fouling issues and turbo issues is not true at all. These engines were designed to run primarily on 87 and we have many users on this board who have been running 87 for years with no issues.

Back