What did you pay for your CX-5?

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Want to see if I should jump on this deal or not. Please let me know if you feel this is a good, bad, so-so deal. Please note, I did not push hard on this deal so there may be potential room for further negotiations.

2018 Deep Crystal Blue Mazda CX-5 GT AWD with PP
MSRP-$34,385
Discount-($3,715)
Rebate-($1,500)
Sale Price- $29,170

Doc Fee-$80
License/Title-$428
Misc-$37.75
Sales Tax-$2,613.75
OTD-$32,329.50

The salesman said that in order for this car to hit this price point, I must finance at the standard rate which is 5.99%. There are no other factors at play here, trade ins etc. I also do have the ability to put a large portion down if needed so I can minimize the portion that accrues interest, but am not sure if financing the whole car is required to get this price.

Some irrelevant information: I was also debating between a lightly used Lexus ES300H or Lexus RX450H

Thanks for the insight!

Last edited:
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Want to see if I should jump on this deal or not. Please let me know if you feel this is a good, bad, so-so deal. Please note, I did not push hard on this deal so there may be potential room for further negotiations.

MSRP-$34,385
Discount-($3,715)
Rebate-($1,500)
Sale Price- $29,170

Doc Fee-$80
License/Title-$428
Misc-$37.75
Sales Tax-$2,613.75
OTD-$32,329.50

The salesman said that in order for this car to hit this price point, I must finance at the standard rate which is 5.99%. There are no other factors at play here, trade ins etc. I also do have the ability to put a large portion down if needed so I can minimize the portion that accrues interest, but am not sure if financing the whole car is required to get this price.

Some irrelevant information: I was also debating between a lightly used Lexus ES300H or Lexus RX450H

Thanks for the insight!

5.99 sounds high. Whats the term? 60 mos? If so, your discount is eaten up by the loan. I think you can do better.

I just did a quick check on new car loan rates for 60 mos terms. Seems you can do better than 5.99. I saw several for low 4s with good credit.

Hi All,

MSRP-$34,385
Discount-($3,715)
Rebate-($1,500)
Sale Price- $29,170

Doc Fee-$80
License/Title-$428
Misc-$37.75
Sales Tax-$2,613.75
OTD-$32,329.50

Thanks for the insight!

For what it's worth, I received multiple quotes around 29500 for a machine gray 2019 GT with PP paying cash.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback Bman and Inactive.

Sounds like I am not striking gold here. You're right Bman, the loan would eat into the discount. I was going to finance a small portion but not sure if that is a card in hand. I am fairly new to buying a new car and dealing with dealers. Furthermore, Inactive seems be have a bunch of quotes for the same price which makes it seem like my deal is nothing special.

Firstmazdacx5-I dont think the offer you have received is bad at all. But it may not be the best available offer. Thats all. Youd be doing just fine with the offer as it stands and then if you can, just pay off the loan early and make sure there are no early payment penalties in the loan agreement.

Thanks for the feedback Bman and Inactive.

Sounds like I am not striking gold here. You're right Bman, the loan would eat into the discount. I was going to finance a small portion but not sure if that is a card in hand. I am fairly new to buying a new car and dealing with dealers. Furthermore, Inactive seems be have a bunch of quotes for the same price which makes it seem like my deal is nothing special.

Most brands make you finance a pretty small minimum, like $5.

You*re in the driver*s seat here. Me? I*d call em up and tell em I*ll give them $31000 out and will sign deal and give them deposit today. When/if they say no tell them to call if they need to sell a car on or before 12/31.

In the meantime I*d be searching the inventory of every dealer within xx miles for the same car and then would send email offers for each for the same $31k out. Make sure you say that you will call to put a deposit down as soon as they agree (you need to be ready to follow through!). They want to know you*re a guaranteed sale. A few will come back higher, a few will try to get you to come in, at least one will bite.

If you don*t get a taker then wait till 12/30 and send another email telling them all your offer still stands.

Good luck.

Last edited:
its been difficult for me to get dealers to email me price quote for a 2018 AWD Cx-5 Touring and 2019 touring?

What out the door price range should i be looking at? I called 7 dealers and only 2 responded. But keep giving me pricing without destination fees etc.

its been difficult for me to get dealers to email me price quote for a 2018 AWD Cx-5 Touring and 2019 touring?

What out the door price range should i be looking at? I called 7 dealers and only 2 responded. But keep giving me pricing without destination fees etc.

Try going to the dealers website and requested quote. OR you can also go on TrueCar. They should respond to you that way.

Seems like the tactics have been they call me and then they go back to talk to their manager to email offer later and only 2 people have done so...do not know if its the holidays?

Need you guys opinion,
18 CX-5 GT AWD PP machine gray
Got an offer of $28550 + tax and fees
Based on MSRP $33635
Apr financing 3.49%

What you think? Take it or leave it?

Need you guys opinion,
Based on MSRP $33635
Apr financing 3.49%

Hi Invisible,

Your deal seems similar to the one I was offered, except better APR. Did you go to Putnam? Royal? And did you do hard negotiations?

Thanks!

I think Im over new cars. Imma probably go CPO next time. Between my Mazda and BMW which are current models, theyve taken a combined $28k depreciation.

Bought a 2019 CX-5 Signature for $1600 under MSRP. I didnt qualify for loyalty or trade-in rebates. It seemed a fair deal for a new model since no bargains are yet to be had, and not bad compared to a loaded 19 Ford Edge or Acura RDX. Inventory is finally arriving in a variety of colors. Love the car so far, particularly the handling and no-lag turbo.

Last edited:
Seems like the tactics have been they call me and then they go back to talk to their manager to email offer later and only 2 people have done so...do not know if its the holidays?

First, it*s your money. You are the person in control. Also remember that a dealer wants to know that you*re a guaranteed sale - that*s important. If you*re not all in, don*t play till you are. I prefer to pay cash but if you are financing then ideally have your $ arranged before you start. Get pre approved at your local Credit Union, Internet bank, what have you. You can always adjust to the brand financing later (to qualify for rebate).

See the car in person and drive it. I take a test drive with the salesperson then, if I like it, ask that they give it to me for a few hours *to take home and let my wife see it*. My wife will not go car shopping and especially will not set foot in a sales department of one. If they don*t let me take the car home, it*s deal over right then. I want to be able to drive and look at it for an extended period of time without a salesperson yapping at me. If wife and I agree we like it enough I take it back, get their number and walk out. Now I*ve had one dealer, on 12/31, almost beg me with *how much will you buy it for today* so much that I threw out an off the cuff, totally absurd price and after another hour negotiating they took it. But, walk out.

Go home and determine the car, model, options, colors, etc you want. Do your research and determine exactly what you will pay for that car. Understand how much profit is in each car. Search dealer inventory of all dealers xx miles away and find your car. Sometimes there*s an *Offer* button, sometimes it*s a *Quote* button, sometimes it*s a *Get your Eprice*...whatever. As long as it allows you to make a comment then it*s good. Fill out the info and write that you will buy the car today for $xx,xxx and as long as you*re committed to standing behind that offer, send it in. Do the same for the dealer/salesperson you visited. Then sit back and wait for someone *real* to get back to you (not the automated emails). You want to be dealing with an Internet Sales Manager, or similar title, *face to face* digitally.

Again, my experience is you will get a few *We have your car! Yay! When can you come in? We have free coffee!*. Reply back that you*ve seen the car, know the car, and are ready to buy today and you will buy stock #nnnn for $xxxxx. You will also get a few that respond with a quote higher than your number. Reply back and make yourself clear. I think almost every time I*ve also gotten at least one that said, *Yup we*ll do it*. Pick the closest, or best, and call the person to leave deposit.

If you don*t get a taker right away, wait. It might take a few hours, it might take a few days, it might take till the end of the month (or year!). Wait for your price. If after xx time you don*t get that low, adjust and go with the best, or wait, or...

Once you get your number, handle everything pre delivery by email or phone call then just go in on such-and-such day, tell the finance person you don*t want any extended warranty or super deluxe paint protection, pay, get the keys, and go.

Hate to admit it but I*ve used this process prob 6 times now (I might have a problemj and it works, for me.

Full disclosure, I did buy a CX5 Signature this week and did not use this process. I never got there because my local dealer seemed open to negotiation right from the start and I was able to get them to accept my number before having to search.

Last edited:
Bought 2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/o package silver yesterday in IL:

MSRP: $28510
Dealer Invoice: 27729 (-Costco member $400, - manager discount $329)
Purchase Price: $27000
Doc Fee: $175.94
ERT Fee: $25
Tax: 1904.07 (7.25%)
New License Place: $196
Manufacture Rebate: - $2500 (Mazda announced additional $500 rebate starting 12/21/18)
OTD: $26,801

Otd

Need you guys opinion,
Based on MSRP $33635
Apr financing 3.49%

Hi,

Invisible what was the OTD, I am trying to compare and see if they are adding the freight charges back again or if it was included.

Thank you.

Back