What did you pay for your CX-5?

Another car-buying friendly state like all of those zero sales tax states such as New Hampshire! Many of us have to pay thousands on sales tax for new-car buying!

It is very friendly, but I always end up buying mine from out of state. :) True definition of stealerships around my area...

Another car-buying friendly state like all of those zero sales tax states such as New Hampshire! Many of us have to pay thousands on sales tax for new-car buying!

Not only that, but our excise taxes in Maine (what you pay when you register) are very high for new vehicles. Here is how it prorates out:

1st yr: 0.0240
2nd yr: 0.0175
3rd yr: 0.0135
4th yr: 0.0100
5th yr: 0.0065
6th yr: 0.0040 (stays at this rate afterwards)

Therefore my CX5 GT with a sticker of 32k, had a first year excise tax of ~$744 (destination charge gets backed out). So despite the state preferring people to drive newer, cleaner, safer cars, there is a financial incentive NOT to do so.

sigh.......

I moved counties within the same state and it went from 2.9% to 7.65% tax rate. Screw you Denver county. :( (bird)

I almost want to use my old address (family still lives there) when I buy my next car lol (what do they check for that?). Anyone watch South Park? I used to live in the county/area that show is based on.

Last edited:
I moved counties within the same state and it went from 2.9% to 7.65% tax rate. Screw you Denver county. :( (bird)

I almost want to use my old address (family still lives there) when I buy my next car lol (what do they check for that?). Anyone watch South Park? I used to live in the county/area that show is based on.
Cool deal! South Park, lol, cool show! I would love to live in your area, but the taxes, cost of living, etc. is the main reasons I can't even consider it. Sad but true...

Where I live, Virginia, but right outside of DC, if pay sales taxed based on the state you title the car. DC and MD paid MUCH more in sales tax, but in VA you pay a property tax every year you own the car. Give and take i guess.

They don't check s***. I did this with our Volvo. Just put it as your address. All your car mail will go there. Wait a month or 6, and change your address with them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Oh I guess it went up to 3.9% now.

Still better than freaking Denver lol!

Thanks, will do 7.

Hey guys - bit last minute but my fiance and I are just now trying to scoop up an outgoing 2016.5. I'm the kind of person that does a crap-ton of research for all major purchase decisions, so don't think I can feel comfortable buying a car by end of this weekend to take advantage of the 2k customer cash back.

Question for you guys - how likely is it that the promotion gets extended, or even increased? Even if it doesn't officially, would dealers still honor their quotes sent out right now that incorporates that discount, past monday?

PS: long time lurker, post time poster, you guys have been of great help in this thread

Dear Denver,

Want to trade tax rates. Will trade your exorbitantly high rate of 7.65 for my lower rate of 8.5. And yes, that is on the lower side here in California.

At one point, during the dark times, we had counties/cities at 10%.

Question for you guys - how likely is it that the promotion gets extended, or even increased? Even if it doesn't officially, would dealers still honor their quotes sent out right now that incorporates that discount, past monday?

None of us can answer that with any authority. I would ASSUME it is going to be a promotion until All THE 16'S ARE GONE.

Dear Denver,

Want to trade tax rates. Will trade your exorbitantly high rate of 7.65 for my lower rate of 8.5. And yes, that is on the lower side here in California.

At one point, during the dark times, we had counties/cities at 10%.

Jebus. How awful. Sorry to hear it's 8.5+

6 weeks till my current lease is up so I'm watching lease prices online. It seems that even though the MF & residuals are the same, dealerships seem to have lowered the monthly lease amount about $30 a month on the leases they are posting. It seems to be following the fact that the 16.5 are dwindling. They were $499, now $469 based on sticker of $33,820, 36/12000. I'm hoping to be $400 or under in the 6 weeks (lol2)

6 weeks till my current lease is up so I'm watching lease prices online. It seems that even though the MF & residuals are the same, dealerships seem to have lowered the monthly lease amount about $30 a month on the leases they are posting. It seems to be following the fact that the 16.5 are dwindling. They were $499, now $469 based on sticker of $33,820, 36/12000. I'm hoping to be $400 or under in the 6 weeks (lol2)

Good grief, what spec are you looking at where you're seeing those numbers? My 2016 GT was loaded enough to get the MSRP to almost $36,000 and the 36/12K lease is $385.78 + tax. That was a literal sign and drive too.

I just leased a 2016.5 GT with every option available, 36/15K, for $299.32. And nothing down, just first month payment at signing.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I have the following emailed quotes from a couple dealers. What do you guys think? Good enough? Can I try to get them to come down more in-person? If so, any strategies?

2016.5 AWD GT w/ tech+iactive, roof rails | MSRP: 34,575| Offer: 29,720| Discount %: 14.04%
2016.5 AWD GT w/ tech, roof rails| MSRP: 32,400 | Offer: 27,400 | Discount %: 15.43
Prices include the 2k cash back and are pre-TTL

Also, I was pretty set on GT with just the tech package, but those who have iActive, any thoughts if its worth the additional 1.3k?

Dealers in New York & New Jersey are asking $499 down to $456 for MSRP of $34,000 (2017) after sitting and doing the negotiating dance for up to an hour. Some dealers have just a few, there is a deal in NJ that has close to 300 of them, yep 300 as per their website. They all say it is because of the MF and residual. So if someone can run the formula to come up with a proper $ for a 36/12 lease:

List for $34,000, NY tax which is 8.87%, $0 down, MF .101, residual 63%

In NJ I am getting a 2017 GT
Machine Gray
Premium Package
$32,156 before taxes and fees. Working on getting them to remove window etch fee of $200, not included in price above, as it is useless and does nothing for me in terms of insurance discounts.

Dealers in New York & New Jersey are asking $499 down to $456 for MSRP of $34,000 (2017) after sitting and doing the negotiating dance for up to an hour. Some dealers have just a few, there is a deal in NJ that has close to 300 of them, yep 300 as per their website. They all say it is because of the MF and residual. So if someone can run the formula to come up with a proper $ for a 36/12 lease:

List for $34,000, NY tax which is 8.87%, $0 down, MF .101, residual 63%

MF can't possibly be 0.101 as that equates to an APR of 242.4%

Current MF for the NE region on a 2017 is 0.00101 according to Edmunds, which equates to an APR of 2.424% (high for a lease, the MF for a 2016.5 is 0.00001 = 0.024% APR)

Even then, if you paid full MSRP of $34,000 and allow for garbage addons of $1,000, you'd be looking at $472.20 inc sales tax.

Either there's no discount at all on the vehicle, they're adding a ton of fees, padding the MF to an even worse level, or all three.

Start by getting a full written quote that includes MSRP, discounts applied, fees included (full breakdown, not just a total), net cap cost, MF, residual (expressed as both a percentage and $ figure). Run, don't walk, from any dealer who won't provide these numbers.

Also, if you don't need the new features in the 2017, the MF on 2016.5 leases is insanely low and the prices are being discounted heavily. Consider a 2016.5 instead or wait until the MF drops on the 2017.

Last edited:
Back