What did you pay for your CX-5?

What ever it is it won't be "fast". I just want to be able to be able to get out of the way of something that is.

What ever it is it won't be "fast". I just want to be able to be able to get out of the way of something that is.

Extra 29 hp might shave another 1.0 or 1.5 seconds off of zero to 60 time, (hardly fast when compared to X1/X3-35, 2.0L Escape, Sportage SX turbo, Tiguan 2.0L, GLK350 DI), a nice improvement with only a 1 to 2 mpg penalty. Still plenty of faster cars to get out of the way of.

The Rav4 is an excellent vehicle that does many things well. They've sold a gazillion of them for good reason. Look out any window and you will see one within 60 seconds. I was getting ready to buy a Rav4 when the CX5 was introduced. Thank you Mazda!

I just snapped up a 2014 AWD Grand Touring. I was buying it with S-plan, but when I forgot the PIN, they told me not to worry about it and still went through with the deal. Got it for just under 29k before TTL. That makes it about $700 under MSRP.

I just snapped up a 2014 AWD Grand Touring. I was buying it with S-plan, but when I forgot the PIN, they told me not to worry about it and still went through with the deal. Got it for just under 29k before TTL. That makes it about $700 under MSRP.

When are you taking delivery?

I plan on doing the S Plan that my wife qualifies for. Do they even verify WHO uses it though? Or, HOW? Thanks.

I was quoted $200 under invoice for a 2014 Touring with no extras, unfortunately they negate this good deal by charging $599 dealer prep. That effectively makes the deal $400 over invoice. They expect to have the cars in about a week.

Dealer prep? That sounds like a restaurant charging an assembly fee on your food. It's something they are just supposed to do. I'm curious what they'd say if you said, "don't worry about taking the tape off, I'll do that myself for $600."

I did tell him to ditch the charge and we can make a deal and he replied that all Mazda dealers charge to clean and prep the vehicle. I would be interested to hear what fees other people are being quoted. If I can get it down to $100 over invoice I will be satisfied. They do include a tank of gas.

I did tell him to ditch the charge and we can make a deal and he replied that all Mazda dealers charge to clean and prep the vehicle. I would be interested to hear what fees other people are being quoted. If I can get it down to $100 over invoice I will be satisfied. They do include a tank of gas.

That is a bold face lie!

Run, don't walk to another dealer if possible. You should be able to get invoice since there are incentives that Mazda gives the dealers that allow them to do this. I had a dealer tell me that the price he quoted was MSRP and in actuality was $1000 above MSRP. He was very gracious and took off $1000 and made it like he was doing me a favor. If you're financing with Mazda, there are additional incentives that the dealer gets. They have a choice to pass this along to the buyer or keep it for themselves.

jtl: You misunderstood him. What he meant was "that all Mazda dealers try to charge to clean and prep the vehicle". Actually, from what I've seen here, that's a ploy that many dealers east of the Rockies use. In California, a dealer would be laughed out of the state for trying such a thing!

Fortunately there are other dealers within 50 miles. I am pretty familiar with the car business and ad allowances and hold backs. Dealers are not your friend. I have found over the years that getting invoice is not unusual but it is rare that you get invoice pricing and not get charged some additional fee of between $100 and $400. It may be called prep fee, doc fee or something else. I am a cash buyer. If I can get the out the door price down to $100 over invoice I will be very happy, but my guess is that it will not be easy if even possible. All I can do is contact every dealer within a reasonable distance and ask for a quote and then play one against the other.

Last edited:
I have found over the years that getting invoice is not unusual but it is rare that you get invoice pricing and not get charged some additional fee of between $100 and $400. It may be called prep fee, doc fee or something else.
Yes, my dealer charges $75 for obtaining the registration, plates, etc. It's best to "leave" them some scraps if you plan on having a relationship with a particular dealer. A few dollars goes a long way if any issues arise and you need an advocate to help you.

News Flash! Things are looking better. Another dealer offered me $26,168 otd for a basic Touring model. Considering there is $1520 of sales tax and another $90 of title transfer fees that makes the cost of the vehicle about $24,558. Invoice is $24,704 so now I am $100 and change under cost and they will give me two free oil changes and two tire rotations plus a full tank of gas. I will be all over this. Looking for either white/tan which will add a couple of hundred to the price or liquid silver/black. Sort of like the white even though I always said it was like purchasing a refrigerator.

News Flash! Things are looking better. Another dealer offered me $26,168 otd for a basic Touring model. Considering there is $1520 of sales tax and another $90 of title transfer fees that makes the cost of the vehicle about $24,558. Invoice is $24,704 so now I am $100 and change under cost and they will give me two free oil changes and two tire rotations plus a full tank of gas. I will be all over this. Looking for either white/tan which will add a couple of hundred to the price or liquid silver/black. Sort of like the white even though I always said it was like purchasing a refrigerator.

still for the 2014 - as seems like the quote I got for a 2013.

Yes, my dealer charges $75 for obtaining the registration, plates, etc. It's best to "leave" them some scraps if you plan on having a relationship with a particular dealer. A few dollars goes a long way if any issues arise and you need an advocate to help you.

I agree. Also, they need enough $$ left over to pay the electric bill, water bill, janitor, property taxes, building maintenance, salesmen, sales manager, advertising, etc. and with a little profit left over. Otherwise there would not be a reason to have millions invested in the franchise.

Back