Well, this sucks....

i imagine rotors getting thrown into a scrap metal pile somewhere so even if they're still there figuring out which ones were his would be pretty hard. worn pads i imagine go straight into the garbage

Dealerships usually keep scrap metal, and a scrap guy will come buy and pay for the scrap to take it to be recycled. old pads just get throw away.

depending on how long ago, and how they handle their scrap metal, they might still have his parts.

now its not the thickness of the rotor they are measuring.

The dealership is saying in order to machine the gouges off the rotor, they will end up machining past the minimum thickness. So its not that they are past their thickness, its that they cant machine them properly.

The rear pads definitely do not have wear indicator clips on the Mazda 3. I have an '05 hatchback and my rear pads wore down to the rivets and started scraping the rotors. I bought new pads, a rotor-piston retraction tool, and did it myself. having slightly grooved rotors from the rivets is not an issue. You can put new pads on anyway and they will just conform to the shape of the rotors (however if the rotors are warped that's not good). At 62,000 miles my front pads are still OK, but I do mostly highway driving anyway.

Back