Well, HID replacement and upgrade is done....FINALLY!

Kojack

:
2007 5 GT "thing 5"
I spent the afternoon redo'ing my HID lighting in my 5. I pulled out all the old stuff that's been there since 2008. We noticed lately that the low beams were very hard to use. You could not see anything with them. I hope the new stuff fixed the problem. I then installed a set of quick start 55w High beam lights. THese buggers ARE BRIGHT! I installed them, tidy'ed up the wiring and one major thing, GROUND EVERYTHING TO CHASIS. This is key for them. IF you do not do this, everthing malfunctions and DRL's don't work. Once grounded to chasis, everything fires right up!

For our fog lights, I have a set of yellow halogen bulbs as I did not want to mess with HID down there.

55 are overly bright. 35 is normal max recommended.
Look forward towards burning wiring, faded or melted lenses, quicker yellowing and other side effects including pissed drivers.

55w is only on high beam, so no matter what you have in, you will have pissed drivers if you leave them on. I have talked to many people and they all agreed that the 55w HID is fine in high beam.

I am also installing an LED light bar for nighttime. I care less about pissed off drivers as I use my head when driving and never run my brights when someone coming at me. Unlike lots of city folk, who enjoy driving with their high beams on all the time in the night.....on lit highways.

Last edited:
They are instant on. It takes maybe 1-2 secs to get to correct color, but they are bright as soon as you flick the switch.

of course not. I have 4300K HID in 35w. plus in my fog lights I have selective yellow bulbs of a little higher wattage than the original.

Latest posts

Back