Wategate actuator going bad?

jlee29

:
Mazdaspeed Protege 2003.5 blue
I think my wastegate actuator is going bad i have the profec b spec-2 boost controller but i can't controll the car from spiking i have tried every setting trust me. No vac leaks. It only spikes during initial spool (shifting) for a split second than levels out @ 6-8psi. Any suggestions on what else it could be? I know they make a wastegate actuator up-date but its like 400$$$ anyone have a working used one they wanna get rid of?

people have ordered there new actuators from ATP turbo for $65 shipped, i got mine from Blaast Performance and a MBC for $100 shipped...

loserkidwac said:
people have ordered there new actuators from ATP turbo for $65 shipped, i got mine from Blaast Performance and a MBC for $100 shipped...

Ok sweet! I saw the thread about the 6psi. Sr20det silvia universal one. I guess its a direct fit replacement for the stock one.

loserkidwac said:

Would you agree that my problem is that my actuator is going up?

Well from the info on this site it seems to be the #1 cause related to the symptoms, either that or a boost leak but you said that you checked your vac lines...currently my MSP boosts to 5-6psi and then falls back to 3-4psi, I ordered my acctuator and hopefully it will be here before the weekend and see if it solves the problem

loserkidwac said:
Well from the info on this site it seems to be the #1 cause related to the symptoms, either that or a boost leak but you said that you checked your vac lines...currently my MSP boosts to 5-6psi and then falls back to 3-4psi, I ordered my acctuator and hopefully it will be here before the weekend and see if it solves the problem

Ok awsome thanks for the help! I guess i'll go ahead and order it.

Installed it took maybe 2hrs not rushing. Spike seems better i just need to adjust my profecb spec2. Also found out i had two studs missing on my exhaust manifold!!!( but no leak) Anyone know the STUD size?

JCell said:
ATP wastegates run at 8-9 PSI

not necessarily, mine is at 7, some people have seen no increase vs stock wga.

Glad you seem to have worked out your problem. FWIW, if you're not sure if its the wga you can pull of the vac line running to it and blow into it with moderate force.... if any air leaks out, the diaphragm is bad and its probably the source of your problems.

I installed one on a MSP with hardpipes, Smic, intake and 3' exhaust and it holds 9 PSI all day

Back