Voice recognition in nav? Does it work for anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:
2008 CX-9
So I tried experimenting with the voice commands for the nav. I tell it "Go Home" and it says "seafood restaurant", I say it again and it says "Courthouse". I did it about five times and all it did was respond with POI's and kept putting them on the display. There appears to be no voice training for the nav. Is that right. I know the bluetooth has voice training, but I think they are two seperate systems.

On a related question, is it possible to tell it to give you directions to the closest gas station while you are driving? If you just say gas stations it just puts them on the map. If I tell it "Go Home" , if it were able to recognize my command, shouldn't it start directions to my house. Yes I designated me Home location.

So I tried experimenting with the voice commands for the nav. I tell it "Go Home" and it says "seafood restaurant", I say it again and it says "Courthouse". I did it about five times and all it did was respond with POI's and kept putting them on the display. There appears to be no voice training for the nav. Is that right. I know the bluetooth has voice training, but I think they are two seperate systems.

On a related question, is it possible to tell it to give you directions to the closest gas station while you are driving? If you just say gas stations it just puts them on the map. If I tell it "Go Home" , if it were able to recognize my command, shouldn't it start directions to my house. Yes I designated me Home location.

I believe if you tell the system to show Gas Stations, it will put them on the map. If you don't see any, try zooming out to show a wider view of the area that may have a gas station. Once you see the gas station, touch the icon and you'll get info on that station. I believe, that you will actually be able to select navigation to that gas station WHILE the car is still moving. Yes, believe it or not, you can go to a new destination while the car is moving...I did it once or twice playing around with it.

I don't think the Go Home will work. However with the system set with a Home Destination, you can easily select the Destination Entry, Home and route to it while the car is moving...
Cheers

I believe if you tell the system to show Gas Stations, it will put them on the map. If you don't see any, try zooming out to show a wider view of the area that may have a gas station. Once you see the gas station, touch the icon and you'll get info on that station. I believe, that you will actually be able to select navigation to that gas station WHILE the car is still moving. Yes, believe it or not, you can go to a new destination while the car is moving...I did it once or twice playing around with it.

I don't think the Go Home will work. However with the system set with a Home Destination, you can easily select the Destination Entry, Home and route to it while the car is moving...
Cheers

Just confirmed how to navigate to the POIs. Just zoom out to find the POI on your nav screen. Then touch the POI Icon you want to go to and touch SET AS....at the bottom of the screen. You'll now be able to touch DESTINATION and the normal 3 options for routing will appear.

This all works while the car is moving over 5MPH.

So people actually need a nav system to find their way HOME? wow

You must not venture very far from home.

Let's see why would people use their navigation system to find their way home. Maybe they navigate from Home to Point A, then Point A to Point B, then they wonder what is the fastest way to get home, so maybe they use their navigation system they paid $1500 to navigate home...Maybe they just moved to an area that they don't know very well.....Maybe they went somewhere which involved 8 different turns and they didn't commit them all to memory.....

You must not venture very far from home.

Let's see why would people use their navigation system to find their way home. Maybe they navigate from Home to Point A, then Point A to Point B, then they wonder what is the fastest way to get home, so maybe they use their navigation system they paid $1500 to navigate home...Maybe they just moved to an area that they don't know very well.....Maybe they went somewhere which involved 8 different turns and they didn't commit them all to memory.....

that level of ignorance is frightening.

Ive driven all over the country, actually, and never needed more than a basic map. If you're dumb enough to forget how to get home, turn in your drivers license

that level of ignorance is frightening.

Ive driven all over the country, actually, and never needed more than a basic map. If you're dumb enough to forget how to get home, turn in your drivers license

CX9 SportOwner - I have been lurking here for a few months and have found most of your posts offensive and of very little (if any) value. I realize that you think your viewpoint is the only one that matters and that the only correct way is your way, you have made that abundantly clear. I'm guessing that you have gotten in various conflicts in life because of your attitude. Why don't you chill out and realize that everybody is different and values things differently, I don't think that someone using navigation to get home is a frightening level of ignorance. Someone who makes $50k and buys a $750k home because that bank said they would lend the money, now we are getting to a frightening level of ignorance...

You're right. Given the decline in intelligence of people in the last 50 years, I should no longer expect to interact with anyone else with a triple digit IQ. Let's make gadgets to do all of our thinking. A big touch screen in your bedroom with an animated character showing us how to get dressed before our car tells us how to get to work and back home. Funny how people got home every time before nav systems. But then, that was when they had those pesky 3 digit IQ's.

I will NEVER apologize for being able to think and do things for myself, rather than being a helpless pussy. Dont like it? Then whine to the OPs again so they will ban me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back